• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DUI Drysuit Question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

I had the opportunity to make a quick drive down to Gilboa Quarry yesterday to the DUI Dog Days Rally. Only had time to demo 2 suits: the TLS350 and the FlexExtreme. My experiences with the two were very different.

The TLS350 was a pleasure to dive. It was very easy to use and as my first drysuit dive ever, I was amazed at how easy it was to control my buoyancy with just the drysuit itself. I only used my BP/W for surface buoyancy. I wore fairly heavy underwear (Polartec Pro) and was really too warm. I liked that I was able to wear my own fins (Aqualung Blades 2, which I LOVE). The water temp was around 68-72F. In a previous thread that I started, several people complained about leaking with the TLS350. Where did it leak from?

The FlexExtreme was very problamatic. I wore a lighter undergarment (Actionwear 150). I was plenty warm, but it felt bulky and it was very hard to maintain my trim and buoyancy. I also didn't like the fact that I had to wear separate boots and my fins didn't fit, so had to use rental fins.

So I'd appreciate any comments or responses to the TLS leaking issue.

Thanks!!
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

All drysuits can and do leak from the neck and sleeves. The better the fit the less likely it is to leak. Is this the only brand of suits you have tried?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

All drysuits can and do leak from the neck and sleeves. The better the fit the less likely it is to leak. Is this the only brand of suits you have tried?

Yes. Yesterday was the first and only time I've tried a drysuit. :diver:
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

#4 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hi Ellen,
I thought this info might help..I've kept it as a useful resource to refer back to.

http://www.alertdiver.com/?articleNo=429
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#5 timalso

timalso

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:instructor
  • Logged Dives:350

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

Ellen, I purchased a CLX450 from DUI about 4 years ago and have great success with it. It is a custom suit built to my personal measurements. I have not expirienced any leaks with all the dives I have on that suit. I have the zip seals at the wrist and neck, which are easily replaced when they get worn. There is nothing better than to be able to actually be able to try out a product before you purchase it. I think that you would be very happy with the you liked. Tim

#6 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

I believe Ellen's question is related to this post.

"I have a White's that has been sitting in my garage to be posted for sale on Scubaboard since I got my DUI I guess about 9 months ago. So you can guess where this is going My thoughts - and YMMV:

I personally hated the process to get the White's on and off, I found the garbage bag innards to be a PIA. For the size I needed, I ended up with a lot of extra garbage bag material which led to my second issue - I found it hard to control the gas in the whites bc it gets trapped in all the extra plastic.

Even so, I had no intention of buying a drysuit when I went to a DOG days demo and tried a TLS... unfortunately I quite simply fell in love. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the buoyancy characteristics of the TLS. I can easily control the gas in various undergarments (still working on perfecting it with 400G Thinsulate, but that is another story). Anyways,,, I made the best decision I knew to make at the time and I don't regret it - re the DUI, I got a great deal on a special edition suit and now I know exactly what want. But,,, all that being said... I rarely have a dry dive in my TLS350. From what I understand, the quality in the TLS's has gone down in the past few years. So I would not recommend that you purchase a TLS350. HOWEVER - every person I know that dives the FLX Extreme (and I know several) LOVES it. It's a little heavier than the TLS350 but you gain a lot in terms of durability. I will be buying yet another drysuit as soon as I lose another 20 lbs and it will be a FLX Extreme. Zip seals on the wrists - maybe - neck - no. Explorer pockets are a must, as is a p-valve.

Again, this is MY opinion, others have different ones, YMMV!"

I know that I really liked the TLS 350 when I dove it also, I only went with the CLX 450 because I found a demo suit at a great price. The 350 has a little stretch and is lighter than the 450, the 450 is more abrasive resistant, but heavier and doesn't have any stretch to it. But I cannot answer your question Ellen, I have not heard of any quality issues myself. Everyone I know that has the TLS 350 likes their suit.

Keith aka MNJoe

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#7 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

But,,, all that being said... I rarely have a dry dive in my TLS350. From what I understand, the quality in the TLS's has gone down in the past few years.
Keith aka MNJoe

Keith,

So do the seals at the neck or wrists leak? I'm assuming the material of the suit doesn't leak.

Ellen

#8 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

Hi Ellen,
I thought this info might help..I've kept it as a useful resource to refer back to.

http://www.alertdiver.com/?articleNo=429

Thanks, Greg! That's an excellent article!
Ellen

#9 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

But,,, all that being said... I rarely have a dry dive in my TLS350. From what I understand, the quality in the TLS's has gone down in the past few years.
Keith aka MNJoe

Keith,

So do the seals at the neck or wrists leak? I'm assuming the material of the suit doesn't leak.

Ellen

Ellen,

That wasn't my post about the leaking, so I do not know what they were talking about. I copied and pasted it into this thread because people responding didn't seem to remember or were aware of your first thread on drysuits.

I have not had any issues with my neck, wrist, zipper, seams or gloves leaking.

Keith

#10 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

I believe Ellen's question is related to this post.

"I have a White's that has been sitting in my garage to be posted for sale on Scubaboard since I got my DUI I guess about 9 months ago. So you can guess where this is going My thoughts - and YMMV:

I personally hated the process to get the White's on and off, I found the garbage bag innards to be a PIA. For the size I needed, I ended up with a lot of extra garbage bag material which led to my second issue - I found it hard to control the gas in the whites bc it gets trapped in all the extra plastic.

Even so, I had no intention of buying a drysuit when I went to a DOG days demo and tried a TLS... unfortunately I quite simply fell in love. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the buoyancy characteristics of the TLS. I can easily control the gas in various undergarments (still working on perfecting it with 400G Thinsulate, but that is another story). Anyways,,, I made the best decision I knew to make at the time and I don't regret it - re the DUI, I got a great deal on a special edition suit and now I know exactly what want. But,,, all that being said... I rarely have a dry dive in my TLS350. From what I understand, the quality in the TLS's has gone down in the past few years. So I would not recommend that you purchase a TLS350. HOWEVER - every person I know that dives the FLX Extreme (and I know several) LOVES it. It's a little heavier than the TLS350 but you gain a lot in terms of durability. I will be buying yet another drysuit as soon as I lose another 20 lbs and it will be a FLX Extreme. Zip seals on the wrists - maybe - neck - no. Explorer pockets are a must, as is a p-valve.

Again, this is MY opinion, others have different ones, YMMV!"

I know that I really liked the TLS 350 when I dove it also, I only went with the CLX 450 because I found a demo suit at a great price. The 350 has a little stretch and is lighter than the 450, the 450 is more abrasive resistant, but heavier and doesn't have any stretch to it. But I cannot answer your question Ellen, I have not heard of any quality issues myself. Everyone I know that has the TLS 350 likes their suit.

Keith aka MNJoe

I changed color in the thread I copied to avoid confusion. I had thought I italicized it the first time, but must have messed that up.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Ah yes the post by one of our GUE members. However if Ellen found it also worked for her then that is all that matters. I do not like either DUI or Whites as I prefer a composite neoprene suit (HighTide) personally as it feels just like a wetsuit only its snug in the sleeves and neck and not ALL over. LOL!

However we have relationships with DUI, High Tide and Whites so can help you with any purchases accordingly.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 grim reefer

grim reefer

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, trimix, cave, vip, etc
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

The post quoted was from Kate, I believe, but I have had similar experiences with the TLS350.

After a few years and a couple of hundred dives my TLS350 began leaking in the seams of the material (stitching popped out leaving tiny pinholes). The suit material is also so very thin. This is a double edged sword. It makes the suit very light and comfortable but it also makes the suit much less durable than a lot of other suits. When I was only diving 20 - 30 dives a year the TLS was fine, but it just hasn't been durable enough for the abuse I now give it.

Fit in a drysuit is critical for safety and ease of use. Besides the fit of the suit, the seals need to be tight enough to prevent water entry without cutting off circulation.

Be *very* careful with the neck seal. I have a close friend whose buddy died while she was diving with him due to a neck seal that was too tight and another close friend whose buddy passed out due to a tight neck seal. In the latter case it happened at the entry to the quarry and my friend was able to save his buddy from drowning. So, just in my small circle of friends there has been one fatality and one near fatality due to neck seals that are too tight. Considering how few friends I have this is a statistical marvel ;) Joking aside, if you dive dry make sure the neck seal is not too tight.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of forever - Jacques Cousteau

#13 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

I had the opportunity to make a quick drive down to Gilboa Quarry yesterday to the DUI Dog Days Rally. Only had time to demo 2 suits: the TLS350 and the FlexExtreme. My experiences with the two were very different.

The TLS350 was a pleasure to dive. It was very easy to use and as my first drysuit dive ever, I was amazed at how easy it was to control my buoyancy with just the drysuit itself. I only used my BP/W for surface buoyancy. I wore fairly heavy underwear (Polartec Pro) and was really too warm. I liked that I was able to wear my own fins (Aqualung Blades 2, which I LOVE). The water temp was around 68-72F. In a previous thread that I started, several people complained about leaking with the TLS350. Where did it leak from?

The FlexExtreme was very problamatic. I wore a lighter undergarment (Actionwear 150). I was plenty warm, but it felt bulky and it was very hard to maintain my trim and buoyancy. I also didn't like the fact that I had to wear separate boots and my fins didn't fit, so had to use rental fins.

So I'd appreciate any comments or responses to the TLS leaking issue.

Thanks!!

Hi there! To further our FB conversation <G>:

RE FOOTWEAR: From what I can gather I am guessing you dove a TLS350 with turbosoles and the FlxExtreme had socks and you wore "rockboots" or something like that, requiring different fins. Important to note: Both the TLS and the FLX are available with either option so if you wanted turbosoles with the Flx Extreme, you could get them. It is just that the Flx you happened to try didn't have them.

RE LEAKAGE: The big complaint with leakage re the TLS is related to pinhole leaks and seam wear. It is the material itself that seems to not hold up as well. I am not telling tales out of school, a search on scubaboard will turn up a lot of stories about the quality of the TLS for the past five or so years. Now, in all fairness, I will acknowledge that some of the people I know (including myself) are averaging 100-200 dives a year or more on the suits - mostly in caves - so that is not necessarily typical use. :teeth:

Anyway - all that being said - I still love my dang TLS. AND - I'd buy another used 2005 or earlier TLS in a red-hot minute! It is a great suit to dive - I mean, I had JUST bought another drysuit and I liked the TLS so much more than the one I had, that I went ahead and bought it! And they are, after all, warrantied for something like 7 years.

But FOR ME - now - as far as new suit goes - I know a LOT of people who have bought FLX Extreme's in the past year... and by a lot, I mean, I don't have enough fingers to count them off the top of my head. And every one of them is very happy with their decision. So... that is my next purchase.

Edited by Kate P, 13 September 2012 - 07:44 PM.

How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#14 Jay

Jay

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE Tech 1
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

I dive a TLS-350 and the only leaks I've had was a neck seal that was too loose. Zip seals all around and pee valve works well. For me, setting the neck seal low works well. Haven't had any zipper or seam issues. I like the lightweight and ease of on/off. With 45 degree water up here, undergarments are key with a lighter suit like the TLS.

#15 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Hi Jay, thanks for replying to this thread! I'm on my way back from diving in Cuba and froze my tail off even though it was a steady 81F. I wore a full lavacore suit and hooded vest which I wore under a 1.5 mm. Should have brought my 5 mm. :banghead:/> But that's another topic...

I was thinking about a drysuit purchase all this past week! I've been leaning towards a TLS all along. Thanks for your input.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users