• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What SD gave/gives to me..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Seahorsewrangler

Seahorsewrangler

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW - NITROX
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

As a new diver and inexperienced in the world of travel, I gave across a radio show that featured this woman talking about how this new diving group for singles was all about. I was intrigued. I checked it out and even made a phone call to this woman to get answers and learn more. Eventually I became a member in 2006 I believe. I had just gotten back from a solo trip to COZ with the attitude not again. My diving days looked limited. I booked a trip with SD to Bonaire and althou I still felt somewhat alone, I wasnt 'alone'. It was a trip I wont forget and that's when the fun began. I made friends on that trip that I still have today and they even co-hearsed me into going on the Fiji trip later that year with SD. In between those 2 trips was a stop in North Carolina, again with SD. Since that time, SD has made my diving days unlimited and my dive buddies ever increasing, not to mention the opportunity to travel to places I wouldn't have alone and some I never even thought of going to yet alone as diving destinations.

I could continue telling you about the places, the friends/dive buddies I have experienced, but maybe you'll share 1 or 2 of your own experiences with a SD trip.

To Kamala and the multitude of helpers of SD and dive buddies .. My thanks for the opportunities and for opening up the world of diving (literally) to me. :thankyou:

Jeff
  • Mermaid Lady likes this
AKA Cap'n Sam Roughknuckles The Bernese mountain dog

#2 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Jeff, thank you so much for sharing that! I feel the same as you do. After my first dive trip to Cozumel (coincidentally) after my OW cert, I felt beaten up and lacked the confidence to ever dive again. But I found Kamala and SD, and after a several trips with SD and mentoring by Kamala, I found my "scuba legs" and haven't looked back. I will forever be grateful to SD for introducing me to the incredible world of diving and wonderful, kind, accepting people to do it with!

Some adverse circumstances have prevented me from going on a couple of trips with SD this year, but I've been with you all in spirit, and am looking forward to Lavish Lembeh!

Oh, and Jeff... You are the best dive buddy EVER!!! :clapping: :clapping:

Thank you Kamala and SD! :thankyou: :thankyou:

Ellen
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#3 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

My situation was a bit different, but the feelings are the same. I had been diving for more than 30 years. I saw something called SingleDivers listed when checking to see what companies were going to be at the Beneath the Sea expo a few years ago. I googled SingleDivers, and looked around the site a bit. They were running a Cooper River trip and a North Carolina wrecks trip that year, so I decided to stop at the booth at BTS, and chat some with the blue haired woman. Her enthusiasm for diving and travel made me feel comfortable, so I signed up for the two trips that I was always interested in doing, but may have never made without SingleDivers. I really enjoyed both of those trips, as well as numerous other SingleDiver run trips since. I had been on numerous trips prior to joining this group. To some extent, it was a bit of a crap shoot as far as the people that I would meet on those trips. I have met a lot of nice people on those trips, along with some that were extremely annoying at best. One thing that was always present on the trips that I took before SingleDivers was that people were always in separate groups, with very little mingling. The people of SingleDivers have really surprised me in how they have always tried to make others feel comfortable, and so many of them are very quick to offer assistance where ever it is needed. Kamala does a wonderful job of pairing up divers of similar ability and diving style. Outside of that, I have seen a number of the more experienced divers ask other divers to dive with them, for the reason of giving the lesser experienced diver a chance to learn something new. Although this is a very diverse collection of people, when it comes to chatting on this site, or doing trips together, it always feels like you are with friends. Even if you have never met eachother.

#4 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

:teeth:/> I totally agree!!!!! My first dive trip with SD was in 2005 to Grenada. My dive buddy decided to "go find himself" and I really didn't want to stop diving or just go with the LDS. I was watching some program on TV and two women were raving about a trip they had gone on to Cozy with this new group called Singledivers!!! Signed up for that trip and have been on 7 since. They are the best and Kamala really puts the effort into making sure your roommates and dive buddies are a good fit. :teeth:/> I too have been places I would not have gone on my own and have met some fabulous people. Looking forward to the next trip, just not sure where yet.

#5 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I too agree with all of the above!!!

SingleDivers.com allowed me to go from a certified diver with no buddies and not diving because of that,I was really just a diver want to be, now I am a diver!! SingleDivers.com Trips are great!! I have been on 7 trips, they have all been great!

MNJoe

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#6 AnemoneAmy

AnemoneAmy

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

As a married but buddyless female diver, let me tell you that it can be a real challenge to plan a dive trip. I just don't feel comfortable trying to take a solo trip. Organizing a group trip with friends can work, but it is a huge logistical burden and you're not always able to round up local diving friends. Kamala is one of those people who will change your life. She is professional, exuberant, organized, an extremely experienced diver, friendly, and looks after her band of merry adventurers. She brings out the best in people and her trips are fantastic. She is the ultimate role model for a newer diver, observing and giving gentle feedback. Experienced divers continue to dive with her because they know they will have a trip run at their level of experience, and she makes all the little and big details work out behind the scenes at the dive shop and lodging so that everyone can enjoy each day. But she also will let you contribute and subtly encourages everyone to get to know one another and put their best foot (fin?) forward. I have made many new friends and dive buddies. I am lucky to have found this group and look forward to many more dives with you. Long live SingleDivers.com!
  • WreckWench likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users