• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

charter captain requirements....

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:20 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, so if any mod feels a different forum would be more appropriate, please feel free to move this...

Does anybody know off hand what the US coast guard requirements are for operating a small charter boat (6 or less divers)?

Specifically looking at the us side of the great lakes, but I am pretty sure the requirements for any territorial waters would be the same.

Thanks all
Adam
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:42 PM

From memory, so it'll be close, but not likely exact. You have to have approximately one year of experience at sea (a year being defined as at least 4 hours per day for 360 days over any time period) with a certain percentage of that experience being recent. If you wish to operate inspected vessels (and therefore not be limited to 6 passengers), you'll need 720 days at sea. You will then need to pass the exam and likely a background check and a drug test. It may be a requirement to be a US citizen to hold a US license.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:47 PM

Thanks Walter!

Now is that 360 days on a comercially-run boat, or would pleasure craft operation qualify?

(I doubt it would, but....)

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:41 PM

Any vessel, pleasure or commercial. What's more, I don't believe you even have to be crew.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 09:35 PM

Excellent, thank you Walter!

#6 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 27 October 2004 - 04:51 AM

I know a Brit who I think holds a USCG licence, so possibly you don't need to be American.

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:02 AM

Brits sometimes also hold dual citizenship (or is that citizenship and subjectship?)

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:56 AM

Brits sometimes also hold dual citizenship (or is that citizenship and subjectship?)

Citizenship. Though I'm not sure if it's still technically possible. Britain is quite happy for people to have other nationalities, but I have a feeling America isn't any more.

Technically a citizen of any commonwealth country is a "subject", which means under the rule of the monarch. Pretty meaningless these days.

The other thing that matters is where you are "ordinarily resident". This is important for tax. If you are "ordinarily resident" in the UK you are liable for your entire world earnings, whether repatriated or not, and (I believe) even if you're not a UK citizen. If you are just "resident" then overseas (as we call it - foreign to you) earnings are only taxed if they're remitted to the UK.

I'm a chartered accountant (CPA) but haven't done any of this sort of work for years, so I could be out of date.

Do you (or anyone) know how these situations are treated in the US of A?

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 06:40 AM

US citizens are obligated for income tax on their earning regardless of where they reside, but I believe they get an exemption on a portion if the reside outside the US. As with most US tax laws, I believe it gets very complicated very quickly. Citizens of other countries who reside in the US pay taxes at the same rate as US citizens. I've known a few folks with dual citizenship.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:38 AM

This is a great resource. www.maritimeinstitute.com Good group of people for training as well.

There are some basic requirements specific to particular certificates. However, the following requirements are common to all deck licenses:

* 4 hours minimum to count as one day. (Only one day's credit allowed for each date.)
* 90 days recency in the past 3 years required.
* CPR and First Aid cards required. (Could be standard First Aid)
* U.S. Citizenship. You will need an original passport or birth certificate.
* Military and foreign time is evaluated by the Coast Guard.
* Applicant must pass a routine physical. Vision must be at least 20/200, correctable to 20/40 in each eye. Color sense must be satisfactory(Waivers available in some cases).
* Physical must be within the past 12 months.
* Drug screening is required.
* Applicant must be free of drug or felony convictions for the past 3 years. Could be required for the past 10 years, depending on the severity of the offense.

Basic License specific requirements by type:

Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (6 passengers or less)
* 18 Years old
* 360 days of experience in operation of a vessel.
* 90 of the 360 days on the ocean or near coastal waters, or may be limited to inland.
* License will be limited to vessels of less than 100 gross tons
* May be limited to near coastal waters, not more than 100 miles off shore

Mate Near Coastal
* 19 Years old
* 360 days of experience in operation of a vessel.
* 180 of the 360 days on the ocean or near coastal waters

Master, Inland, Not more than 100 GT
* 19 Years old
* 360 days of experience in operation of a vessel on any waters
* License will be limited to vessels of not more than 100 gross tons and limited to inland waters.
* Endorsement for sail or auxiliary sail available with 180 days of sail or sail auxiliary time (may be part of the 360 days and may be prior to license issuance)

Master, Near Coastal, Not more than 100 GT
* 19 Years old
* 720 days of experience in operation of a vessel on near coastal waters, of which 360 days may be on a vessel over 35 gross tons, to be eligible for a 100 gross ton license. Otherwise, license will be limited to 25 GT or 50 GT.
* License will be limited to vessels of not more than 100 gross tons and limited to near coastal waters, not more than 200 miles offshore.
* Endorsement for sail or auxiliary sail available with 360 days of sail or auxiliary sail time (may be part of the 720 days and may be prior to license issuance)
U.S.C.G. Testing Center Link

For more information about exams and requirements:
The Regional Testing Center charges administrative fees and has other requirements which are summarized on their web site.

To access the Los Angeles/Long Beach Regional Exam Center for information regarding examinations and experience requirements, visit their Web site:

http://www.uscg.mil/...alb/rec/rec.htm

Grant

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:30 AM

Actually, that vision requirement is not absolute. My vision was 20/400 at the time I received my license. I was limited to daylight hours and required to carry extra glasses on board. The waiver came from the comandant. Excellent list, much better than from my memory.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 02 November 2004 - 04:54 PM

Now is that 360 days on a comercially-run boat, or would pleasure craft operation qualify?

any vessel will count. even a rowboat. i have several friends who got constructive credit for time spent on rowboats and bass boats fishing as teens.

to bad about the citizenship part.

however, i'm sure there is reciprocity. if you are liscenced in Canada, it would be regocnized by the USCG.

and people have citizenship confused with residency.

The US does not recognize dual citizenship for US citizens. you are either a US citizen or you aren't. other than being born here, in order to become a US citizen, you are required to renounce citizenship and allegiance to all other governments.

we can get into the tax stuff if you want, but its tax stuff, and most would find it extremely boring.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 05:45 PM

Brad,

I know people who have US and UK citizenships and carry passports for both. I know of one person who actually has citizenships in the US and two other counties.

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:49 PM

I have friends that have dual citzenship also. US and NZ

#15 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:00 PM

Similarly, it is common to see Canadians with dual citizenship - US and Canadian. In fact, my grandmother is one of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users