• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Wish List

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 28 October 2004 - 03:33 AM

So after seeing the submarine it got me thinking :teeth:

What tops your list of things you have not seen but want to(underwater of course)

My #1 kewl thing I would like to see is a Marlin
#2 would be a whale (out of the blue not jumping out of the boat next to one)

Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#2 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 28 October 2004 - 05:26 AM

I'd love to see a "Bait Ball" in action. For those who dont know its a huge school of fish such as Anchovies (and other species of fish) that are herded upwards towards the surface or into shallower water by Dolphins. They get pushed together into a tight group and are picked off by all the Sharks, Dolphins and Seals in the area. Gannets also are attracted by what looks like a dark slick from the air and flocks of them dive bomb the huge school of fish (some can dive to 20m). When the Whales get on the scene they rush upwards from below and consume massive amounts of fish in a single mouthful. The food chain in all its spectacular glory! :teeth:
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:33 AM

Jim,

Marlin are incredible, I saw a couple in Cozumel back in '88. It was a beach dive, we swam on the surface to the wall, then dropped down. I took a reel and float with me because I hate live boating. One of the members of our group had difficulty equalizing and came down the line slowly. I kept an eye on her as she descended. As I was watching her, two Marlin swam right by her, passing within 10 feet. I tried to get her attention to point them out, but she never saw them.

It's amazing how much we all miss on every dive.

I'd love to see Whales, Whale Sharks and Golden Hamlets.

Jack,

Come to Florida, baitballs are common. They are usually the result of Barracuda or Jacks, not Dolphin, but common none the less.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 28 October 2004 - 07:00 AM

Jim good question
I would like to see

1. Truk Lagoon

2. I would like to swim with some Great White's and come back
to this board and post a Trip Report on it. even if I had to punch
the keyboard with my nose. Swear :teeth:

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#5 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 28 October 2004 - 07:04 AM

Great thread...

I'd like to see more sharks (friendly, well-fed ones, of course!) especially on dives when I have my camera with me.

I've seen one nurse shark, and that's it. Someday I would even like to dive with great whites in a shark cage, like they do in California

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#6 randy54

randy54

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 28 October 2004 - 07:34 AM

So many things to choose from.

I'd like to be in a pod of wild dolphin at play.

Then again, haven't swam with sharks or turtles yet either.

Then there's whale sharks, whales, pengiuins, lots and lots of wrecks. :teeth:
You may not be able to smell the roses underwater, but you can sea horses.

#7 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:14 AM

I think for me it would be a whale shark. Seen plenty of sharks having dived in the Coral Sea and the GBR but still haven't gotten a whale shark.

#8 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:32 AM

Let's see:

Truk Lagoon

An actual War of 1812 era warship in good condition

the Lusitania

The last will not happen as by the time I get the experience necessary to dive her, there won't be enough left to make it worth the risk. That is the reason that the Doria isn't on my list either. By all accounts, that wreck has already reached that point and the Lucy is close to that point now according to an article that I read by Gary Gentile.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#9 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:03 AM

Dive with the Orcas and dolphins in the Great Norwest...
With Clear Vis... of course... :teeth:
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#10 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:12 AM

damn, i don't think there's enough room!

my PAST 'i can die happy now' wish was diving with the great whites.....lucky enough to have checked THAT one off last july ...

now?

whale shark.

whale.

sea lions.

oh...and SEALS ....preferably big muscular ones with tight butts and ....oops, wrong seal.
sorry

#11 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:52 AM

Very cool thread.. I would have to say I would like to dive with some of the gentle giants such as Orca's or Mantee's in Florida. Then again I also love the idea of sea lions and dophins as well.. :birthday:

Dejah

#12 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:00 AM

I've seen one nurse shark, and that's it. Someday I would even like to dive with great whites in a shark cage, like they do in California

http://www.greatwhiteadventures.com/

It's on my list ... was going to do it this month but as you know my "social situation" changed and I had other things (temporarily) more important.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#13 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:08 AM

Jim,

Marlin are incredible, I saw a couple in Cozumel back in '88. It was a beach dive, we swam on the surface to the wall, then dropped down. I took a reel and float with me because I hate live boating. One of the members of our group had difficulty equalizing and came down the line slowly. I kept an eye on her as she descended. As I was watching her, two Marlin swam right by her, passing within 10 feet. I tried to get her attention to point them out, but she never saw them.

It's amazing how much we all miss on every dive.

I'd love to see Whales, Whale Sharks and Golden Hamlets.

Jack,

Come to Florida, baitballs are common. They are usually the result of Barracuda or Jacks, not Dolphin, but common none the less.

Walter, can you explain the "live boating" thing?

Bait balls are pretty common off the coast here, too, and as Walter mentioned, I've seen them usually because of barracuda.

Off the coast of Malibu, dolphins are common, and you do need to be careful around them ... you don't want to have your mask and reg knocked off. Ana and I saw two whales hanging out right off the shorebreak at Point Dume while we were on a surface interval but they were gone by the time we could get back in the water. Sea lions are common here, and they can be a little freaky when you aren't expecting them!

I'm with the guys who mentioned Truk. I can't believe that I was just a few islands away from there in Kosrae and didn't make it over!

p.s. I've been to Hamburger Hamlet ... does that count?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 28 October 2004 - 12:25 PM

There are three ways of drifting with the current when diving off a non anchored/moored boat. All three are usually incorrectly referred to as "drift diving."

1. Drift diving - Rarely used any more, it was more ommon in the early days of diving. Divers hold a line (often the anchor line) dropped from the boat. The boat drifts with the current, taking the divers along.

2. Float Diving - Divers drift with the current, staying together in a group. One (or more) diver in the group has a reel attached to a float on the surface. This float now usually has a dive flag attached, 20 years ago it was usually just an orange float ball similar to those used on current lines when diving from an anchored or moored boat. The most widely used method along Florida's SE coast.

3. Live Boating - The most dangerous method, it's very similar to float diving with out the float. The boat "follows your bubbles." Divers are more often lost or hit by boats when using this method. With the proper use of a safety sausage deployed from the safety stop (or deeper), live boating is much safer than in years past. The most widely used method in Cozumel.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 28 October 2004 - 12:41 PM

Swim with a dolphin or whale. I would also like to see a WWII airplane wreck!

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users