• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Quality Gear Bag For Travel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Greetings, all!!! I was discussing this with WW & she recommended that I open up a thread on this topic. Looking for a little direction, please.

A little over a year ago, I bought an Armor dive bag, thinking that it ought to be more than ample for my needs. After 3 trips, the seams are already coming apart & I'm going to need to get it repaired for Truk. This is a short term solution.

Moving forward, I'm looking to replace it with something more substantial. Obviously, the debate over weight vs. capacity vs. durability is where I'm getting hung up. In a perfect world, I'm looking for something lightweight, of decent size & can stand up to the abuse of international travel. I'm used to traveling, so, my expectations are realistic, as far as what might be out there.

I'm leaning away from a traditional hard cover piece, for obvious reasons. Ideally, I'd like to find a kind of duffel option, even if it's typical military issue.

Your thoughts???

Posted Image, in advance, for your assistance!

#2 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

Yeah, the challenge is to find the lightest, strongest reasonably priced bag that meets your needs. My other thing was that since I go to many dive destinations, I prefer a bag that doesn't scream "Dive Gear, steal me!"

So looking through www.ebags.com, I went with this bag.

http://www.ebags.com...&rlid=DETAIL_AI

Over all, it gets decent reviews, and is a wheel duffle bag under 10lbs (it weights 7.5lbs). I was able to find it on sale for cheaper than this at the time I bought mine. The bag itself is pretty durable and rolls well on hard surfaces. I did destroy one on the dirt roads of roatan, so I'd keep it on the pavement.

If you are willing to skip the wheels you can probably get the weight down even further. I carry on my regs mask and computers. So the bag has the rest of my gear including backplate/wing, wetsuit, & fins and I get out at about 42lbs. Way back since I can't get everything fully dry I seem to be much closer to the 50lb limit.

Good luck!

#3 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

Hey Tim!

I've had so many brands of bags, dive specific brands and general travel bags. Almost none have lasted more than a couple of trip without some kind of problem. I pretty much always travel the same way. One checked main bag and a smaller roller cary on. Most of my key dive gear goes in my carry on roller and the non essential dive gear and everything else in the checked bag. Usually this is more than enough space for everything I bring.

The only bag that has taken everything Ive thrown at it and never failed me has been my Samsonites. They've been on about a dozen trips and still look great. They have a lighter weight line that holds up well also. It's not the absolute lightest out there, and perhaps not the absolute strongest, but a pretty good intersection of the two. And at least I know it won't fall apart during the trip. I also like the swivel wheels, makes it easy to maneuver in tight quarters. Lastly, since it's not marked with big ScubaPro, Aeris, Aqualung, Mares, etc, it doesn't stand out as a bag that probably has expensive gear in it and tempting thieves.

At the end of the St Kitts trip, I was moving my bag off the live aboard, and the bag ripped open. My Mares bag was more duct tape than bag for the return trip. I know Kamala was product testing an interesting lightweight bag too, although I don't know that its publicly available yet.

Just my 2 psi, ymmv

#4 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Most of the time I use "Outdoor Products" Duffle Bags. They are inexpensive, they are made out of Cordura so they are fairly tough, They have various sizes. I have several of the sizes and mix and match for the needs of the trip I am on. They don't last forever, but at 30 to 40 dollars a piece, I do not care. I do wish the larger ones had wheels, of course that would drive up the price.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#5 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

You will [ay for it but like everyone else I have a garage full of failed experiments. This......

http://www.stahlsac....n_smuggler.html

has been hands down the best bag I ever owned.
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#6 DiviDivaDiver

DiviDivaDiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:270+

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

I have two upright dive bags on rollers that I *THINK* I will finally be ditching. One I stopped using long ago because the back half was a hard case so weight is the issue. The other is a SeaLife on rollers with a back pack option - but it is too big and unwieldy as a bag pack (it's half my height) and it tips forward and falls over when it's upright. Maddening!! I do have a large duffle bag but I worry about hauling it around during airport sprints to make dicey connections. Has anyone used a regular sturdy duffle on wheels? Or opt for my larger suitcase instead of spending $200 on another specialty bag for Maldives and see how it works. I guess just line the thing with garbage bags on the way home? Or is that totally ghetto?
My bigger question for you all is about your carry-on. Half the time they are checking my rolling carry-on at the last minute because they are out of overhead space. Have you guys moved to smaller carry-ons to avoid your essential gear being confiscated at the last minute? Have you moved to non-roller carry-on bags or backpacks?
Tim: FWIW my SeaLife rolling bag HAS held up well for numerous trips - I've had the thing for years. No issues with seams busting open or zippers breaking. It's just awkward to maneuver. And since I only dive tropical it's overkill for a single set of gear.

Edited by DiviDivaDiver, 14 January 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#7 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

I stopped using a specialty dive bag because it was too big and I kept putting too much weight in it. Like Jose I use a Samsonite regular luggage bag and have been using it since about 1998 for travel (it's one tough bag). I've pulled the handles off several times (they are now all attached with bolts that I can replace easily) and I can fit all of my non carry on gear in it (fins, bc, wetsuit, lights, knife, safety sausage, snorkel etc.) and clothes for the trip. I bring a garbage bag to put the dirty and sometimes wet clothes in for the trip back and use that as a barrier between my gear (that's usually stinky & wet too) and any clothes I didn't wear in the mesh outer sections.

Then I have a backpack with all the essentials that I need (you know like Corner Gas dvd's Posted Image) and a rolling carry on for my reg, mask, dive computers and camera setup. Plus swimsuits / clothes in case the gear bag doesn't make it.

Currently I'm using an eBags Mother Lode TLS Mini 21" Wheeled Duffel that works fairly well and fits in most overhead bins. It's designed with that in mind but I found one 737 on the trip back from St. Kitts that the hinges on the overhead caused a problem fitting it in on the end. Just had to re-arrange the other bags in and it stuffed in OK.

I seem to recall another thread on here a few years ago that talked about duffle bags that had wheels but it's getting late and I probably ought to get some sleep Posted Imagebut if you do a search it should show up.

Edited by Cajun Diver, 14 January 2014 - 11:05 PM.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#8 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

I recently purchased this bag by Tilos for the Truk and Palau trip so I haven't traveled on it yet but it seems like it will be good if it holds up to some abuse. I'm hoping that it does hold up to at least 3-4 trips. We'll see. It doesn't scream dive bag per say in my opinion but it does have a unique look.

Another thing I was noticing is that some of the bags similar to this one might end up being qualified as over-sized based on the linear dimensions of the bag. Per United's website

Customers who travel with checked baggage exceeding 62 linear inches (158 cm) (total length + width + height)

I found that some bags I was looking at would have been great but exceeded the 62 linear inches. Now it's up to the agent when checking your bag to catch this but I wasn't willing to risk a huge $ each time I check a bag on a trip.

#9 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the feedback, all! I managed to get my Armor bag sewn for Truk. Will do more research & let you know what I decide on.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

I do the same thing Butch does and bring several plastic bags of varying sizes with me. Anything wet goes in there and I deal with it when I get home. I use my regular Samsonite large roller bag that gets checked in for that stuff. Plastic bags are much cheaper than a new specialty bag.

As for the carry-ons. First make sure your bag is within that airlines size restrictions. Then the key is to get on the plane as early as possible. The main reason carry on bags get checked at the gate besides being oversized, is because the overheads just start running out of space and rather than have passengers trying to squeeze back and forth through the aisle looking for a spot somewhere, it's easier for the flight crew to just have the bag checked. When booking flights, if you can select your seat, try getting seats closer to the back of the plane, those seats board first. The gate people are trying to get passengers on the plane as fast as possible and they are less concerned about carry ons.Those who are last to board are the ones most likely to get their carry on checked.

As long as you're within the size limits and on the plane earlier rather than later, you should be ok.

Or opt for my larger suitcase instead of spending $200 on another specialty bag for Maldives and see how it works. I guess just line the thing with garbage bags on the way home? Or is that totally ghetto?

My bigger question for you all is about your carry-on. Half the time they are checking my rolling carry-on at the last minute because they are out of overhead space. Have you guys moved to smaller carry-ons to avoid your essential gear being confiscated at the last minute? Have you moved to non-roller carry-on bags or backpacks?

#11 DiviDivaDiver

DiviDivaDiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:270+

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I will just use my regular luggage from now on and spend money on my new gear! Posted Image I never bothered with selecting seats because I didn't think it mattered that much, but after Jose saved my butt on the way home from St. Kitt's, I think I've learned my lesson. My carry-on is supposed to be within the restrictions. So imagine my shock when I was forced to put it into the United box and it didn't fit! It wasn't off by much but it was enough for them to take it from me on the way down. I will plan better from now on.

1389835516[/url]' post='315277']I do the same thing Butch does and bring several plastic bags of varying sizes with me. Anything wet goes in there and I deal with it when I get home. I use my regular Samsonite large roller bag that gets checked in for that stuff. Plastic bags are much cheaper than a new specialty bag.

As for the carry-ons. First make sure your bag is within that airlines size restrictions. Then the key is to get on the plane as early as possible. The main reason carry on bags get checked at the gate besides being oversized, is because the overheads just start running out of space and rather than have passengers trying to squeeze back and forth through the aisle looking for a spot somewhere, it's easier for the flight crew to just have the bag checked. When booking flights, if you can select your seat, try getting seats closer to the back of the plane, those seats board first. The gate people are trying to get passengers on the plane as fast as possible and they are less concerned about carry ons.Those who are last to board are the ones most likely to get their carry on checked.

As long as you're within the size limits and on the plane earlier rather than later, you should be ok.

1389759552[/url]' post='315245']
Or opt for my larger suitcase instead of spending $200 on another specialty bag for Maldives and see how it works. I guess just line the thing with garbage bags on the way home? Or is that totally ghetto?

#12 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

This past year, I actually got a couple of bags from ScubaPro that work great for the carry-ons. I got the City Bag daypack to carry all of my personal essentials (will now integrate regs/computers into tha)t. Then, I bought their roller bag, which holds more than enough (for me) for a week on a boat. Usually, I still have found that I bring too much along & end up over-packing that bag on the way home. I've gotten better over 3 SD trips. I believe I'll have that part dialed in by Truk. My main concern has been for a dependable, long-term gear bag. Weight is never really an issue with me. I've dialed down the non-essentials that I found myself leaving in my bag almost every trip. I'll check out all of your suggestions once I get back from this next trip. If I could find something that is a like a boat bag for gear, only a bit more substantial, that would be awesome. I'm searching...

Posted Image, again, SD'ers!!!

Posted Image

Edited by Buzo Guero, 16 January 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#13 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

George, I went with this bag, especially because I got it on sale for $98!!!

Thanks, everyone!!!

Yeah, the challenge is to find the lightest, strongest reasonably priced bag that meets your needs. My other thing was that since I go to many dive destinations, I prefer a bag that doesn't scream "Dive Gear, steal me!"

So looking through www.ebags.com, I went with this bag.

http://www.ebags.com...&rlid=DETAIL_AI

Over all, it gets decent reviews, and is a wheel duffle bag under 10lbs (it weights 7.5lbs). I was able to find it on sale for cheaper than this at the time I bought mine. The bag itself is pretty durable and rolls well on hard surfaces. I did destroy one on the dirt roads of roatan, so I'd keep it on the pavement.

If you are willing to skip the wheels you can probably get the weight down even further. I carry on my regs mask and computers. So the bag has the rest of my gear including backplate/wing, wetsuit, & fins and I get out at about 42lbs. Way back since I can't get everything fully dry I seem to be much closer to the 50lb limit.

Good luck!

#14 Diesel

Diesel

Getting started

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100 Plus

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

I have the Akona. It can be a bit big but I like that it has wheels and straps so you can put it on your back. I took this on my cruise for all of my gear. I could probably have fit everything into it id I would hae taken my time in packing or didn't have such a big BC. I have the Zeagle Ranger LTD which the bladder is #44 I think.

http://www.akona.com...?product_id=309

#15 Diver Phil

Diver Phil

Getting started

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW&EAN
  • Logged Dives:55+

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

I use a Samsonite Gravtec polycarbonate hard side spinner. I got a good deal on it a couple years ago. It has been to and from South East Asia several times, around the US, and through Europe and only has a few scratches on it. It weighs 13-15 lbs, but it keeps everything well protected. It comes with a Samsonite price, but is always comes with Samsonite quality.

I am able to put a majority of my XL dive equipment (Mask, Fins, BC/SMB, rock boots, spare air) on one side and 3-4 days change of clothes/wetsuit on the other side and still be right under 50 lbs. The rest goes in the carry on.

https://www.samsonite.ca/page/gravtec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users