• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Problems with HP hose

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CristinnaP

CristinnaP

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:21

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

Hey all,

Recently, my miniflex HP hose blew up. It was quite new, coz I bought it in November, last year, from http://www.dipndive.com. .and dived with it only 20 or 30 times.
Nothing indicated that it will blew up... wasn't pressurised, or anything.
I contacted the shop and they were kind enough and replaced it immediately. So, I didn't lost any money, but am still concerned. The guy there told me that it was the first time anyone complained of it.
What I'd like to know from those who have used it before, is if I did something wrong and broke it or if it is a manufacturing defect?!

Thx,

PS:
Before I forget, is anyone interested on diving at Roaton Island on 28th, this month ?!? Me and my brother, we're looking for couple of buddies to dive with (deep divers).

#2 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hi Cristina,

That is really unusual. I'm assuming you mean that you weren't storing it pressurized, but when you did hook up your regulator to a tank, that's when it ruptured right? Was it a small pin hole or a big explosion type tear? Did it happen just as you pressurized the reg

If you are using miflex HP hoses, they did have a problem with the first run of these hoses and ruptures, but that was at least over a year ago now I think. The newer hoses have had very good reviews and I haven't heard of any of them rupturing.

It may be you got a hose from the old batch of defective hoses. Also, what kind of conditions are you storing the hoses in? Garages, basements, and laundry rooms aren't kind to hoses and can lead to early wear. If possible storing them in a cool dry place uncurled is best I find.

It's very possible you did nothing wrong and it was just a defective hose. I've been using miflex hoses for about a year now and have had no problems. Just keep an eye on your hoses and whenever possible hook them up to a tank before going on a trip just to make sure everything is fine.

#3 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

I've heard of issues with the older, defective batch but nothing recently. I'd add some regular hoses to your save a dive kit just to be on the safe side though.

#4 KevinG58

KevinG58

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:500

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

Years ago I was a early adopter and ended up having a failure of a miflex hose. Blew out midway down not at either connection, as I gently (I swear) opened my tank valve. I replaced it with another brand braided hose when I got the recall for that one took that as a message from the universe and I went back to rubber for high pressure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users