• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Key Largo 11/11/04

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:26 AM

Glad to dive & dine with y'all, too.

The injured diver had planned on diving with his wife until she became too ill to move. We thought he'd buddied with others, but apparently had soloed, got lost, ran out of air looking for the mooring line, and embolized on the emergency ascent. He was an experienced diver, going out with TDC several times a year. I used to think I was a good diver until I had almost the same thing happen to me last month! At least I swam out of mine better.

Had we been the only boat there, we would have cut lose and retreived the body, then radioed others to pick up our in water divers. Since there were other boats around, though, we didn't have to get that drastic.

Capt Scotty and the Physician got ready to treat if the couple on the next line had been able to pull him in and bring him over, but they couldn't handled it. The Dual Porpoise arrived on the scene and picked him up, then sped away for the closest dock, with Scotty calling the Coast Guard by radio and cell-phone to activate EMS. All that could have been done was done quickly, and the guy was in the hospital by the time we got back to shore.

We wrote out our eye-witness accounts for the Coast Guard, then decided to do what we do after we pass a car wreck that's already been worked. We went on with the afternoon, but more carefully. As I was on the way to pick up sandwiches, my phone rang. It was my friends on the other boat who'd heard about the accident on ours, wanting to make sure it wasn't one of us. We probably all dived safer as a result, that afternoon.

By the time we finished with our dives, we heard that the diver had suffered a pulmanary rather than arterial embolism, and was arquing with the nurses on whether hed had to spend the night or not. Too close, but good.

Funny, I'd treated the Russian fellow's injured hand with my first aid alcohol and ointment earlier, and warned him that if the wound was worse in the morning, he needed to go to ER, as he wouldn't then have time for a doctor's appoiintment. I didn't know until later that he was a physician, but then - he probably still didn't know about saltwater bacterial complications. He certainly didn't mention it then. I also gave another diver antihistimine and hydrocortizone for allergic hives, and another venigar and calmaine for jellyfish, so people didn't make fun of my extra first aid bag.

No car wrecks, either! And the bad winds didn't hit until we'd finsihed our Sunday dives. How cool was that!
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#17 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, Adv Nitrox, Deco
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:57 PM

Great to dive with you guys - Vanessa / Volky and Drew for the first time and Walter again. Shame Walter couldn't stay around for the rest of the weekend as the wrecks were great, but we had lots of fun....quite an aggressive dive schedule - 9 of the 12 dives were 100+ ft, but all on Nitrox and pretty good surface intervals (and a couple of afternoons without diving) etc.

..as for the camera, I've got a few shots from the first dive on the Duane (will upload sometime soon), but unfortunately with the 4-6 foot seas, when I was getting back on board the camera was bashed by the ladder and let some water in...no more camera for the rest of the weekend :o

#18 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 01:00 PM

..of course the rest of the weekend was with Don and a group from SD.com and SB.com (lots of people from both sites..and hopefully some more will sign up here after the trip) - lots of fun both diving and hanging out (I even went to a shop and bought something...and no, it wasn't a wet suit...80 degrees is hot !)

#19 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 06:15 PM

.....a few photos I took this weekend before flooding my camera.....

WreckGoddess and DepthCharge on their safety stop (The Duane 11/11)

Attached Images

• vanessa_drew.JPG

#20 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 06:17 PM

...a Walterfish doing a Jawfish impression

Attached Images

• walterfish.jpg

#21 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 06:18 PM

The Ghostly Duane.....

Attached Images

• ghostship.JPG

#22 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 06:20 PM

another shot of the Duane

Attached Images

• ghostship2.JPG

#23 donbadabon

donbadabon

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water. Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:23

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:47 PM

Very nice photos StuShark!

Great recaps on the adventures. Looking forward to joining all of you on one of these excursions someday.

#24 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:58 PM

Great pictures, StuShark!

wish I'd been there

Kim

#25 FlIrishman

FlIrishman

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NTIROX - 500 DIVES, East Florida Coast wreck, reef and beach diving
  • Logged Dives:500

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:21 AM

..as for the camera, I've got a few shots from the first dive on the Duane (will upload sometime soon), but unfortunately with the 4-6 foot seas, when I was getting back on board the camera was bashed by the ladder and let some water in...no more camera for the rest of the weekend :cool1:

So what happened to your camera? Did it go the way of Camera Heaven, or was it recoverable.

After reading your camera note, I remembered a photo I had taken of an inexpensive camera I lost last year:
http://www.irishmans...nov1503_16b.htm
It flooded at 5 ft on a beach dive.

There are those camera's that have flooded and those that will flood!

Geo / The Florida Irishman

#26 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:03 AM

So what happened to your camera?  Did it go the way of Camera Heaven, or was it recoverable. 

yes, even though it wasn't much water that got in (hitting the ladder must have just broken the seal a tad) it screwed it up - the memory and battery were fine....I'll send it off to Cannon to see if they'll fix it under warrantee (yeah right)...but have another one on order anyway....a bit annoying...after having no problem on a 110ft dive, to get the water in while getting back on the boat :cool1:

#27 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:13 PM

Awesome shots!!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#28 WreckGoddess

WreckGoddess

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Board Status:Studying for Exams (May 1-15th)
  • Cert Level:Master Diver / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 18 November 2004 - 05:06 PM

WE HAD A BLAST!!! :o

Walter and Drew -- you did a great job at the trip reports!

The only thing I can really add is for Sunday -- Seawitch, StuShark, DandyDon, Down4Fun and I got to do TWO dives on the Grove. SWEET! :evilgrin:

We missed you on all of the other dives Walter! But it was great dancing underwater with you -- a first for me!

Check out some of the awesome pics from the trip: Pics, More Pics

Loved diving with all of you! Anyone up for another trip?! :wow:
~Vanessa
"If you gave me several million years, there would be nothing that did not grow in beauty if it were surrounded by water."
~JAN ERIK VOLD, What All The World Knows, 1970~

Check out the next NOVA/DC/MD Happy Hour/Or Local Event

#29 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 18 November 2004 - 05:17 PM

Loved diving with all of you! Anyone up for another trip?! :evilgrin:
~Vanessa

i'll be going down to Key Largo in December.

gonna hit the Spiegal, Duane, Bibb, and Eagle
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#30 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 18 November 2004 - 06:37 PM

Loved diving with all of you! Anyone up for another trip?!  :wavey:
~Vanessa

i'll be going down to Key Largo in December.

gonna hit the Spiegal, Duane, Bibb, and Eagle

When? :teeth:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users