• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Which Flex Hoses are the best?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Board Status:I NEED the Caymans...
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my hoses to flex (braided) hoses but I'm not sure which ones will hold up the best. I like that they weigh less for travel and well flex more and don't fight you so much. I've looked at MiFlex and I like that I can get cool colors other than black, but are they long lasting?

Also, I'm going to be using Nitrox with these hoses and I would need 2 LP and 1 HP.

Any suggestions?
Posted Image

#2 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

Hey Shelly, how was diving Roatan? I did it last year and loved it!

As for the flex hoses, I'm a big fan. I replaced all my hoses last year with miflex hoses. They are very durable and actually tend to last longer, are lighter, and more flexible than rubber hoses. There are a couple of brands for flex hoses that have come out, for the most part they are either from online scuba gear retail sites that sell their house brand "braided hoses" and then there's the Miflex brand.

I've used both kinds and haven't noticed any real differences. For the most part all of my hoses are now Miflex though. The Miflex brand has a long history now and all the feedback I've gotten from other divers and LDS's has been great about them. I have over 150 dives on my set and they look as new as the day I bought them.

The HP hoses had some issues a few years ago when they first started being widely used. Since then the newer production HP hoses have a great track record.

They're lighter, stronger, more durable and more flexible, in my opinion well worth the investment. I would stick with miflex brand.

Good Luck!

I'm looking to upgrade my hoses to flex (braided) hoses but I'm not sure which ones will hold up the best. I like that they weigh less for travel and well flex more and don't fight you so much. I've looked at MiFlex and I like that I can get cool colors other than black, but are they long lasting?

Also, I'm going to be using Nitrox with these hoses and I would need 2 LP and 1 HP.

Any suggestions?

#3 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:16 PM

I also use flex hoses on all my Primary regs. (Haven’t upgraded my deco regs yet) I have no issues with any of them. They are flexible and light weight. The weight advantage can't be over emphasized. When we went to Chuuk I had my double regs, a full recreational reg set plus two deco regs. All of them were in my carry on. That saved a lot of weight. I know the HP hoses are supposed to have the bugs worked out but I still don't own one. Soon, but not yet. I don’t need one yet but my next HP hose will be a braided one. My bottom line is I love all my LP flexible hoses. To answer to your question about brand, for me, I don't have a favorite but I’ve also never had one that has left me down. I can’t even guess how many brands I own. Northeast scuba supply has a bunch in stock and on display in the store from several manufacturers. I can't afford to re-purchase gear so I'm a bit neurotic when it comes to maintenance, I need it to last. I roll up my hoses rather carefully and put my regs in cases when not installed on a tank or tanks. I’ve never had a hose fail on a dive and I’ve only witnessed two or three failures in my life. Sorry this is a bit rambling. When you decide let us know what you decide.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#4 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:10 AM

I'm glad you chimed in, Jose! You're actually the one that first got me thinking about the flex hoses! When I felt how light yours was, I knew I had to eventually go that route! I'm looking at a deal for 2 miflex hoses (30') for $60 shipped. That doesn't seem too bad. Know of a cheaper place to get them?

Thanks for the input, Jerry! It's good to know that even the off brands are holding up and doing the intended job!

Roatan was Awesome! Wish you could have been there, Jose!! I'm seriously looking at Dominica next (May)!
Posted Image

#5 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:13 PM

Glad you enjoyed Roatan, one of my favorite dive destinations ever! I loved the shore diving there.

The miflex hoses are all pretty much priced about the same on most websites. If you're still diving with your backup reg on a necklace (highly recommend) then I would go with a 24" hose for that one, you're never donating that one. For the primary reg it's kind of preference. Minimum 30", but I would recommend 40". Since thats the hose you would donate in an out of air emergency, you want that one to give you and your buddy enough length to maneuver. Two and half feet (30") just isn't a lot of clearance when its stretching from the first stage behind you over your shoulder to a diver in front of you. Or you can get a little training on 7' long hose and get the added length, helpful in open water and essential in confined spaces.

Oh and if you do the HP miflex for your spg, I think I use a 24"-26" hose.

Dominica is definitely one that I'm seriously considering!

Edited by jesterdiver, 06 November 2014 - 11:15 PM.

#6 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

I wanted to bring this back to the top and see if there is anymore input on this topic.  there has to be some more experience with flex hoses out there. what do you all think?

• SassyLilCutie likes this

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#7 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:06 AM

I'm still in the camp of going with Miflex since it's an easily traceable brand and has a good track record. My hoses still look like new and the weight savings can't be ingnored.

#8 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

Interesting timing...I'm in Cozumel and one of my best dive buddies agreed to use a brand new Miflex hose to test it on his dives here to prove to him that all their issues have been fixed. We dive a technical configuration with 7' hoses. Our first dive, catastrophic failure - not a leak at the fitting, not small bubbles, a 6-8" section of the primary hose failed, luckily it was immediately upon entry, so he aborted the dive and no harm was done - well, other than he missed a great dive. For me, the weight savings can be found in other areas and I'll stick with my good ol' rubber hoses. They don't flop all over the place, stay where they belong and comfort factor is big for me. Good luck with yours, though!
Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#9 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

Interesting timing...I'm in Cozumel and one of my best dive buddies agreed to use a brand new Miflex hose to test it on his dives here to prove to him that all their issues have been fixed. We dive a technical configuration with 7' hoses. Our first dive, catastrophic failure - not a leak at the fitting, not small bubbles, a 6-8" section of the primary hose failed, luckily it was immediately upon entry, so he aborted the dive and no harm was done - well, other than he missed a great dive. For me, the weight savings can be found in other areas and I'll stick with my good ol' rubber hoses. They don't flop all over the place, stay where they belong and comfort factor is big for me. Good luck with yours, though!

Traci,

Did the hose pop and create a hole?

Posted Image

#10 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

Hey Traci,

Wow, that's crazy. I also use a long hose/short hose config and haven't had a problem to date with over 150 dives on them. I'm hoping it was an isolated incident with a defect on a new hose. Can you confirm it was the miflex brand and not one of the generics or house brands? Thanks for the feedback!

J

#11 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

Miflex - from a Miflex dealer. Ironically, the whole idea behind giving him the Miflex to try was to change his mind on their durability and prove that all the bugs had been worked out....not so much. Granted, any hose can fail at anytime, but this was just an impressive failure.
Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#12 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

Shelly, no there was no visible defect. Upon entry, the rush of bubbles just came through the braid in a most impressive fashion.

Traci,
Did the hose pop and create a hole?

#13 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:50 PM

I am in need or replacing my hoses as well, and was talking with someone on a recent trip.  One thing that was told to me is that there is an increase in drag with the flex hoses.  It doesnt matter much on most dives, but i do a lot of river diving.  I was told that I would definitely feel a constant tugging on my reg.  As I have never had an issue with the rubber hoses, the extra drag in the water seems like it will sway me towards new rubber hoses.  Any thoughts?

Ed

#14 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

I am in need or replacing my hoses as well, and was talking with someone on a recent trip.  One thing that was told to me is that there is an increase in drag with the flex hoses.  It doesnt matter much on most dives, but i do a lot of river diving.  I was told that I would definitely feel a constant tugging on my reg.  As I have never had an issue with the rubber hoses, the extra drag in the water seems like it will sway me towards new rubber hoses.  Any thoughts?

Ed

I've dove rubber, Miflex and gnereic braided hoses. I haven't felt any difference in the drag characteristics of any of them. the only thing I can think of is that since rubber hoses are stiffer they may not "flex" as much when facing strong currents, but what I think that translates into is more that the "sensation" of drag is more intermttent with flexible hosing and more constant with rubber hoses. In other words if you're in a variable current situation like in a river, the pull on the hoses will tend to feel more consistent on rubber hoses and flexible hoses may have more of a flapping sensation. But drag is drag and all things being equal, such as the length of hoses, there is no reason I can think of that there would be any more drag on one hose versus the other.

Technically rubber hoses are smooth while flex hoses are braided and have a more textured feel to them. But I really can't imagine the the drag coefficient difference would be noticeable. That being said I have never dove them in a river so others may have a better answer. I've dove both types of hoses in strong open water currents and felt no difference. What I like about flex hosing is that there "generally" is a lot less pull on the reg on flex hoses than on stiffer rubber hoses. I had an issue with jaw fatigue on rubber hoses that the flex hoses solved instantly. Granted this could also be addressed with swivel joints or elbow fittings, but I try to avoid things like that as they are just additional failure points in the system, KISS as my instructor says! LOL!

#15 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

One other thing to consider, if diving in a drysuit, the braid is abrasive and the friction between your 7' hose draped around your neck at your neck seal can cause a hole to be rubbed in the seal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users