• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

MALDIVES: Amazing Dive Sites just waiting for us!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,608 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

:thankyou: NIck aka TwoWheelGuy for doing all this leg work for us! I know the sites we will see will be amazing and even just leaving it to the boat to decide for us has produced incredible diving experiences on our past 2 trips!

Betsy (of EV)

In preparation for the trip to the Maldives, I obtained a book which describes each of the islands and dive sites

Can you provide me with a list of the islands and dive sites planned during the two weeks which Single Divers will be on the boat.... I plan to compile a list of the information by dive site and share it with all the Divers

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Nick

Hi Nicholas,

What a wonderful way to prepare for you trip!  I know the other divers will appreciate your work.

I have attached a Maldives map which can also help orient you.  Here are the two weeks’ itineraries:

Feb 26 – Mar 5:  North Male – Ari – Vaavu – South Male

Mar 5 – 15: North Male – Lhaviyani – Noonu – Raa – Baa – Rasdhoo – Ari – Vaavu – South Male

The captain and crew choose particular dive sites on a daily basis, depending on sea life activity, weather conditions, etc.

I hope this helps!

Warm regards,

Betsy

Thank you

Can you provide me the names of the dive sites which have been visited in the recent past?

Regards,

Nick

Hi Nick,

I can certainly provide a few names of sites which have been on the itinerary in the past.  With over 300 dive sites in the Maldives, and considering that we can only visit 20-30 over the course of a 7 or 10-night trip, there is certainly no guarantee these will be the ones you see.  Here is a sampling by atoll for your first week:

North Male: Feydhu Wall, Lankan Reef, Himafushi Corner & Maagiri

Rasdhoo/Ari: Rasdhoo Madivaru, Hafsa Thila, Dhonkalo, Ranfaru, Dhehad Thila, Rhadhigaa Thali, Lohi Caves, Rangali Madivaru, Angaga Thila, Maamingili Beyru, Matchafushi Reef, Matchafushi Wreck, Sunbeyru, Dhigurah Arches & Vilamendhu Thila

I am trying to get a sample site list for your second 10-day trip which goes north.  I have put a couple of emails out, and hopefully will be able to get you an idea of those as well.

Thanks – I’ll be back in touch!

Betsy

Hi Nick,

I heard back regarding possible dive sites in the northern atoll of Baa for the second 10-day trip.  I’m adding some additional possibilities for the more central atolls as well.  See below:

Baa: Kakaa Thila, Dharavandhoo Rock, Dhigu Thila, Dharavandhoo Thila, Horubadhoo Thila & Mutha Fushi

North Ari: Kan Thila, Mayaa Thila, Fish Head

South Ari: Moofushi Rock, Dhigaa Thila, Mahibadhoo Rock & Ari Beyru

Vaavu: Alimathaa Jetty

North Male: Alimathaa Jetty, Kandooma Thila & Kuda Giri Wreck

You certainly have your research cut out for you!  J

Have a great trip, and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Warm regards,

Betsy

Let us know if you have any particular sites you wish to visit or you can defer to the great research that Nick is doing for us!  (He is on BOTH trips so is helping everyone!) :respect:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,608 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

One aside....

The Maldives is know for the 'current dives'.  These are the dives that you use the reef hooks and fly like a kite watching or waiting for sharks etc. These dives are exciting and fun...but they can also be a work out.  So while many mixed boats will stay strictly with the schedule posted and this schedule is usually heavily loaded with the shark/current dives... the beauty of a private charter is that we can CHANGE our itin to fit our needs and desires. :cool1:

So if after a few 'current dives' we decide 'been there done that' then we can seek out some sheltered dives and see sites many others NEVER see. How do I know this? Because we discovered it accidentally on our first trip to the Maldives on Siren. We were doing the current shark dives and part of the group had reached the "been there done that" stage. We tried to suggest other sites but the crew focusing on the others who were more gung ho were reticent to change things up So since we were already in groups of 4-6 per dive guide I did a little shifting around and put all the current divers together and the non-current divers together. I then absolved the crew of all liability for a 'crappy dive' (heck most off the non-current divers were sitting out the dives so anything was better than not diving) and we started exploring the leeward side of the atolls. All I can say  is WOW!!! WOW!! WOW!!!  First no one was there...we had the sites all to ourselves. Secondly the fish didn't hardly recognize divers and so we had tremendous encounters. In fact the sites were so cool the boat added them to their itin.   On our second trip I sort of knew what to ask for. I explained to the amazing crew of Carpe Vita what we wanted and they DELIVERED!!! It was the best combo of shark/current dives and easy leeward dives with lazy fish who did not recognize divers. I'm sure that 2 years later this has changed some but the crew will be able to help choose the best adrenaline and lazy dives so that we will  have a truly epic trip!

So I am confident that with extra legwork Nick and others are doing to ensure incredible dives combined with the skill and expertise of the best crew in the Maldives bar none... EVERYONE will have the BUCKET LIST TRIP AND DIVING THEY HAVE BEEN DREAMING OF!!!  :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 N.J. Turtle

N.J. Turtle

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW 2005 / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:19 AM

Thank you everyone for sharing your research and expertise....three weeks from today, I blast outta cold N.J. / N.Y....YAY !!!.....see ya soon    :wavey:

• susiq likes this

#4 RideNdive

RideNdive

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

SO excited about this! Thanks for all the great info and Thanks so much Nick for your research into this!!! :-D  Holly aka RideNdive

#5 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

:dance:  :dance:  :dance: Wow Nick, thanks for all of this information!!!!   You rock, I can't wait for this dive trip, now I have more to look forward to :dance:  A friend ScubaDonna from Denver that has been to the Maldives hooked me up with a presentation at our Denver Aquarium on the 21st of Feb.  Going to be a blast!!!

Edited by little mermaid, 01 February 2017 - 07:20 PM.

#6 SassySeaTurtle

SassySeaTurtle

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:Advance Open water diver
  • Logged Dives:13

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

Such great info!!!! I am so excited! See ya soon....SassySeaTurtle

#7 melaniewhite7

melaniewhite7

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

Is there a link to the info that Nick put together?? Thank you so much for sharing your efforts! Also, can anyone recommend a particular book or site that details the different sites and atolls? I'm looking forward to both current and sheltered sites. 🤣

#8 TwoWheelGuy

TwoWheelGuy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Board Status:On Line
  • Cert Level:DiveMaster, Master Scuba Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

I hope to complete the task by mid week; here's the frontispiece:

MALDIVES DIVER RESOURCES:

(1) Best Visual map for a thorough understanding of where we are going; click link, then choose menu for one of the 'week' trips and maps will appear

www.maldivesboatclub.com

----------------------------------
(2) If you would like to see a Visual Dive Profile (If available): choose a dive site from Dive Discussion list below, click the "Maldives Complete" link, dive sites appear down left column, click dive site and visual dive profile will appear

http://maldivescompl...SiteSearch.aspx

----------------------------------
Background

The Maldives are formed by 26 natural atolls plus atolls in the form of a few islands and isolated reefs which form a pattern stretching from 7 degrees 10' North to 0 degrees 45' South.

An atoll, sometimes called a coral atoll, is a ring-shaped coral reef including a coral rim that encircles a lagoon partially or completely. There may be coral islands/cays on the rim.

The coral of the atoll often sits atop the rim of an extinct seamount or volcano which has eroded or subsided partially beneath the water. The lagoon forms over the volcanic crater or caldera while the higher rim remains above water or at shallow depths that permit the coral to grow and form the reefs.

For the atoll to persist, continued erosion or subsidence must be at a rate slow enough to permit reef growth upwards and outwards to replace the lost height.

Of the 1200 islands in the Maldives, only 200 are inhabited by local Maldivian people, nearly 100 islands have been developed as tourist resorts and the remaining islands are uninhabited. Most of the resorts are in North Male, South Male, Ari, Felidhu, Baa and Lhaviyani Atolls.

The Maldives are sinking. Like several other South Asian and Oceanic archipelagos, the Maldives's topography suffers from a lethal combination of high surface erosion and rising sea levels. The former stems from the islands' soft soils, but most scientists agree that the latter is a direct consequence of global warming.

Diving Typology
Maldives offer different diving typology characterized by different current strengths.

Thila
A Thila is an underwater island that can be either so small that you can dive around it or so big that you'll manage to see only one side during a dive.

A Thila within a Kandu is usually the diving spot with the strongest current, but also the one that has the most interesting sea life.

Kandu
A Kandu (Channel or Pass) is a diving spot around the border of the atoll where as the tide changes the water flow changes direction, in and out of the atoll.

Kandus are the perfect places to do drift dives and where you can see big pelagic fish like sharks, tunas and mantas.

Lagoon
Each island in Maldives has its own Lagoon, usually not very deep (depths to 20 meters) and mostly sandy. Lagoons are protected from the current, but may not be very interesting from a sea life point of view.

Edited by TwoWheelGuy, 12 February 2017 - 07:39 PM.

• little mermaid likes this
file:///C:/Users/DADHOM~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif

#9 TwoWheelGuy

TwoWheelGuy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:34 PM

And here is an example of the information I've been able to access:

•North Male

Kandooma Thila
Kandooma Thila is shaped like a teardrop; this 300 meter long thila is considered by many the best dive site in north male and boasts great scenery as well as prolific fish life.

The west edge of the thila is called Jack Corner and when the current is outgoing is the perfect current point. In fact the best time to do this dive site is with strong outgoing current, where barracudas, grey reef sharks, white tip shars, groupers, jacks and trevally will stay around the corner, while other fishes stay on the reef, like black snappers. Also there are eagle rays sometimes and small schools of dog toothed tuna.

Below Jack Corner there is small cave at 23m with lots of snapper and big eye trevally inside.

This is not an easy dive site, as the thila starts at 16 meters, so you need a proper negative descent to the west part of the thila, and try to not fly away to the east or you'll end in the blue. After some minutes enjoying in Jack Corner, is possible to explore bot north and south sides of the thila. Some "climbing" might be needed.

Along the reef you will see eagle rays and reef sharks but for most of the divers the highlight is to find the big green turtles, sleeping and strolling on the top of the reef.

Kuda Giri Wreck
Kuda Giri is a very pretty ten-year-old small wreck at about 25m next to a very well established reef with lots of small caves and overhangs. There are lots of glassfish in the holds and titan triggerfish. There are shrimps inside a funnel and a few lobsters hiding in the wreck. The soft corals are very pretty and there are lovely corinthians at 5 metres.

We did the wreck first and saw lots of good size jacks and a Napoleon wrasse to about 60/70 cm. The wreck has a resident shoal of very friendly bat fish, which follow you during your dive. We also saw a turtle feeding on the Coral at the bridge end of the wreck. Once you have seen the wreck you can swim a short way back to the reef/thila and see all the normal Maldivian reef fish, including sweetlips, wrasses, parrotfish etc etc.

#10 TwoWheelGuy

TwoWheelGuy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

Perhaps someone in SD can synthesize my work, or I'll simply break up the dive descriptions by week 1 and week 2.

#11 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

Wow Nick, that website is :cool1:  amazing!!!   Getting very excited for this trip :cool2:

• dive_sail_etc likes this

#12 TwoWheelGuy

TwoWheelGuy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:58 PM

WEEK ONE:

North Male: Feydhu Wall, Lankan Reef, Himafushi Corner & Maagiri

Rasdhoo/Ari: Rasdhoo Madivaru, Hafsa Thila, Dhonkalo, Ranfaru, Dhehad Thila, Rhadhigaa Thali, Lohi Caves, Rangali Madivaru, Angaga Thila, Maamingili Beyru, Matchafushi Reef, Matchafushi Wreck, Sunbeyru, Dhigurah Arches & Vilamendhu Thila

Feydhu Wall

Feydhoo Finolhu is the name of island right next to the dive site; Feydhoo Finolhu House Reef is a straight wall down to about 35 meters with lots of crevices and holes and some swim-throughs as well. 

The wall is completely covered with soft corals, sponges and abundant small marine creatures. In the holes you can find resting turtles and small silver fish, which are often used as bait by fisherman. Eagle rays are common as are schools of bat fish and flutemouths. The dive is easy for novice and advanced divers alike and is an ideal site for macro photography.

The reef is a wall dive with hard corals found at the shallow top reef of 4 meters, covered with a variety of coral, gorgonians, whip-corals, sponges, clams and many others. Small crevices are home of variety of nudibranches, crabs, shrimps and other macro critters. Schooling barracuda can be seen from time to time. 

There are many Green Turtles found inside the larger caves which are often filled with glassfish. Get accompanied by friendly batfish that like to follow the divers like they are part of our group.

Lankan Reef

Lankan or Manta point is one of the most exciting dive sites in Maldives. It consists on three cleaning stations (or four) for mantas. It is almost sure to find the big guys here.

The most important part is to stay away of the cleaning stations (the base of the rocks). If a diver stands there, the mantas will see it as occupation of the area and will go away.

Control your buoyancy and maintain good distance.

Himafushi Corner

During an in-going current, the best place to jump in is at the corner of the channel and outer reef, directly above a variegated garden of soft corals. Eagle rays can be seen gliding gracefully overhead and rooting through the corals for crustaceans. You could also see painted spiny lobsters clustered underneath the small overhangs

Drifting with the current into the channel will float you across geometrically intricate hard coral blocks covered with a magnificently colored patchwork of vibrant soft corals. After swimming past the coral blocks, you can find two big overhangs. 

There are even more beautiful soft corals with an even wider range of colours. The overhangs are home to many anemones with different species of Clown fish.

Maagiri

A submerged reef which lies in the channel and is subjected to the currents flowing in and out of the atoll. At the point where the current hits the giri there is an extraordinarily high concentration of fish life. 

Big schools of blue-striped snappers, oriental sweet lips and schooling banner fish gather at the split point, while neon fusiliers swarm all around. There is a large outcrop covered in anemones, which are full of clown fish. 

Along the south side of the dive site, there are overhangs in the wall where you can usually find sleeping stingrays and honeycomb morays. Always keep an eye out for napoleons and tuna cruising past in the blue.

Maagiri Caves

A nice reef wall with a huge rock in front of it creates an impressive canyon abundant with marine life, making it an exciting dive. There are beautiful soft corals in greater depth with smaller caves starting as shallow as 6 meters. 

Schools of yellow snapper, fusilier, giant and honeycomb moray eels as well as jack fish, tunas and occasional eagle rays can be seen here.

Madivaru

On the south side of Madivaru; worldwide famous site for Hammerhead Sharks encounters. The reef formation is spectacular and quite confusing, as it has two pools with sandy entrances, forming like bridges at 15m, with the pools at 20 to 30m.

It is from the deep waters on the outside wall of Rasdhoo-Madivaru that scalloped hammerhead sharks, Sphyrna lewini, rise in the early hours of the morning to accessible viewing depths. More than 100 Hammerheads sharks have been seen here, completely filling the divers’ field of vision. 

Divers must enter the water at sunrise, so a very early start or an overnight on a yacht is necessary. 

Not one of the easiest dives but certainly one of the most spectacular, with large numbers of big groupers, dog-teeth tunas, rays, morays, big schools of jacks. 

Although the Hammerhead sharks are not a guaranteed sight manty other large pelagics can be seen here, this a fantastic dive! Rasdhoo Madivaru has one of the most spectacular – and confusing – reef formations to be found in Ari Atoll. A narrow spur, like a suspension bridge, extends out from the reef of Rasdhoo Madivaru part of the across the channel rising to a pick at 13 meters. 

On the seaward side of the spur, the reef descends almost vertically to around 200 meters. The deep blue waters on the outside of the spur contrast with the turquoise blue reflecting from the sand floor at 30 meters on the inside of the channel. Along the spur is a profusion of fish life ranging from pelagic like schooling barracuda, trevally and tuna fish to reef fish like blue striped snappers fusiliers and school of flame basslet.

On a normal dive there is the manta point at 9m with the proper current. If there is no mantas, eagle rays will appear. On the eastern side where the reef slopes down grey reef sharks and white tip are feedinbg, also schools of barracuda. Is in this wall where the scalloped hammerheads can be found even in schools of 50. They come for cleaning, and stay from 30 to 40m. Usually visibility in this side is not very good so is possible to swim into the blue a little bit and go back to the reef; the wall goes down to 200m.

On the south side there is a sandy patch with garden eels where lots of vampire triggers swim.

This Atoll is quite small and includes four islands which are Veligandu, Kuramathi Rasdhoo and Madivaru. The dive site itself is on the outer edge of the channel that separates Rasdhoo from Madivaru. It is also one of the strangest dive sites as a narrow spur similar to a suspension bridge, extends out from the reef between Rasdhoo and Madivaru rising to a peak of 13 meters. 

Diving at Madivaru Kadu starts from the island of Madivaru. When a depth of 20 meters or so has been reached, a sandy terrace of about 30 meters in width awaits. Once this has been crossed, there will be a vantage point for a view down into the blue depths. 

Madivaru Kadu is known for fantastic diving; hammerhead sharks  constantly travel through the channel between the Ari Atoll and Rasdhoo Atoll. The best time to see this is after dawn. It is also possible to see schools of jacks , tunas, jacks, batfish, bluestriped snappers, barracudas and whitetip reef sharks. 

Hafsa Thila

Circular reef about 80 meters wide and has an oval shape; top is deep at 10 to 15 meters and falls vertically down to 35 meters on a sandy bottom. At the west and east corners one can find a number of beautiful overhangs; Its walls present many overhangs at different depths and hosts black coral bushes.

Great dive site as there is a cleaning station for sharks. The best way to do this dive is with the current. Jump in from the boat and descend as fast as possible to the end of the thila. It might be necessary to "climb" a little bit along the top of the thila. Once the current point is reached, schools of grey reef sharks and white tips swim around and get their mouths cleaned. They slow, look up and do a movement like "dancing" while they open their mouths. Then the cleaners enter in their mouth and stay there for a few seconds. Is quite an amazing scene to see.

The top reef, which is covered with table corals, is where small whitetip sharks like to hide. Other species often swim around the corner exposed to the current, such as grey reef sharks, batfish, dogtooth, tunas and schools of fusiliers.

At depth there are a number of Gray Reef Sharks that cruise along the bottom. There are good number of large Tunas that can be observed hunting the Fusiliers. Many Moray eels live on the Thila, Look for octopus, scorpion fish, and Mantis Shrimp.

Divers can explore the pinnacle from the bottom to the top. For more chances to spot reef sharks, prefer staying close to the thila. Try to stay still at the edge of the top reef exposed to the current and you will be able to watch sharks pass close to you, often followed by tunas or barracudas. You can also check for tiny whitetip sharks under the table corals. If you observe well enough, you might also encounter stonefish and scorpionfish on the top reef.

Dhonkalo

Dhonkalho Thila lies on the north-western side of the Ari Atoll, specifically in the channel between the Maalhos and Himendhoo islands. This dive site features a thila (pinnacle) which is known for its visiting manta rays, and whale sharks. It has also been referred to as the "Manta Ray Car Wash" due to the natural whirlpool-like pulls and currents. 

The best time to dive here is when the current flow from east to west (out) with a bit strong current.

The dive site at Dhonkalho Thila ranges from 5 meters to 35 meters in depth where the sandy seabed is met. This site offers an array of sea life of the larger variety due to the currents in the channel. Manta Rays and Sharks can be spotted at the edges of the reef as well as the channel entrance with visibility ranging between 15 - 25  meters. 

A quick descent is necessary at least to 15 meters and then again straight to bottom in order to begin the dive at the best vantage point; apply reef hook to the reef and just watch the manta rays.

Ranfaru

This dive site is on the north side of Ranfaru, and the name comes because is a viewing point at 24m to see sharks, eagle rays, barracuda and napoleon wrasse in schools. 

The balcony starts where the Vaagali Dhekunu Kandu reef stops and goes down in steps, so is possible to swim up slowly to a proper safety stop after "the show". Note that the show will appear only with the proper current.

Dhehad Thila

Rhadhigaa Thali

Lohi Caves

Rangali Madivaru

The Maldives is famous for manta ray encounters, and there’s few places better than Rangali Madivaru to see these spectacular creatures group together en masse in crystal clear water. Rangali Madivaru is an almost-certain stop on any Maldives liveaboard trip as it’s a reknown manta cleaning station, located in relatively shallow water at 8 to 20 metres. There are several cleaning stations along the long, steep sloped reef, and it’s possible to move between two or three stations in a single dive to stay ahead of other divers if you’re feeling fit.

Angaga Thila

This is a rounded and small thila 1,5km south west of Angaagau island. Starts at 10m and drops slowly to 30m. There is a big cave on the north part with a very good life. The thila is about 80m long, so is easy to circle it in one dive to find the groupers and grey reef sharks, swimming usually in the south part, but it depends on the current

Maamigili Beyru

Very long (500m) outside reef is sometimes prone to strong currents so drift diving is always possible. From the top of the reef (2-5 m) to the sandy bottom (30 m), the descent is quite steep, except at the corner leading into the atoll, this area is more gradual with many overhangs adorned with soft coral. Home to Tunas, Barracudas, Snappers, Groupers, Napoleon Wrasse. Along this reef you can also see Sharks resting on the sandy bottom or cruising around, as well as Sting Rays, Eagle Rays and, if good fortune smiles on you, Whale Sharks and Mantas (in season)

Matchafushi Reef

Matchafushi Wreck

Sunbeyru

Dhigurah Arches 

Dhigurah Etere is located on the house reef of the island of Dhigurah where the reef drops down from 5 to 25 metres. The dive spot is full of little inlets, caves and overhangs with some swim-throughs. Morays, lion fish and stingrays can often be found and in the summer months we occasionally see Mantas here. Dhigurah Etere is also a great night dive site!

Dhigurah Arches is a long reef dive in the channel. It is a very popular dive site of us and around 45min boat ride away from Vilamendhoo. Usually we always go there to search for whale sharks.

It is a beautiful wall dive with bays and many overhangs. You can stick close to the reef and search for small stuff, nudibranchs, crabs and shrimps, mantis shrimps and some of the bigger fishes like puffer fish, moray eels, lion fish and sting rays on the sandy bottom or sleeping in the overhangs.

Vilamendhu Thila

Outside of Vilamendhoo, on the outer part of the atoll there is this narrow thila that goes from 25 to 5m. The west side is a drop off while the other points step down slower. Many huge seafans can be found. On the north part there is a very big rock with a cave at 25m. Mantas can be seen here maybe.

#13 TwoWheelGuy

TwoWheelGuy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

WEEK TWO:

Baa: Kakaa Thila, Dharavandhoo Rock, Dhigu Thila, Dharavandhoo Thila, Horubadhoo Thila & Mutha Fushi

North Ari: Kan Thila, Mayaa Thila, Fish Head

South Ari: Moofushi Rock, Dhigaa Thila, Mahibadhoo Rock & Ari Beyru

Vaavu: Alimathaa Jetty

North Male: Alimathaa Jetty, Kandooma Thila & Kuda Giri Wreck

Kakaa Thila

Dharavandhoo Rock

The topography of this thila is what makes it special. It's located at the south west of Dharavandhoo and goes south to north along a narrow column for more than 200m. The top is at 5m on the shallower parts but goes down slowly until the bottom at 30m on the eastern part. The western part drops off rapidly and is where the main outcrops and overhangs are. Is also where the most life can be found, with lots of sponges, seafans, whips and black coral bushes. The place is very good for photography.

Dhigu Thila

Dhigu Thila is a narrow and long thila going from east to west, about 150m south east of Anga Faru. The top is at 6m and goes down to 30m, with a sharp drop off in the easter side.

In this dropoff there is a large cave at 13m full of black coral. All along the south part there are many big bright caves, between 20 and 25m, with whips and seafans. Inside use to be groupers, squirrelfish and wrasses and pipefish.

The thila ends with a sandy bottom where is easy to find black spotted stingrays. On the top of the thila there are some patches of fire coral.

Dhigalihaa Thila (Horubadhoo Thila)

The height of the thila is about 7 meters from the water surface and its length is around 80 meters. At a range on depth from 30 – 40 meters the ocean floor becomes quite level. 

Drift dives from the open water is the diving technique that can be used when there is a strong current at Dhigalihaa Thila. There are many projections of the reef which can act as shelter from these currents thereby aiding divers. 

Dhigalihaa Thila has an abundance of fish life and a large variety too. It attracts fish such as schools of jacks, and barracuda and when currents are strong, grey reef sharks as well. This reef is a place that is not visited by divers like other reefs and so much of it is truly unspoilt. 

Muthafushi Thila

Overhangs are home to soft corals and anemones. Hard corals are in good condition and are also very colorful; soft white corals can also be seen. There are large schools of blue-striped snapper.

Kan Thila

The diving section of this reef is about 300 metres long and 20 metres wide, the depth ranges from 4 to 30 metres. The top of the reef is flat with a drop off on each side, steeper on the ocean side. The quality of the dive depends mostly on the visibility and the current; when the visibility is often 30 to 40 metres, it is an amazing dive. 

The coral is very nice on the reef top at depth of 4 to 12 metres. There are small interesting caves on the inner side of the reef between 25 and 30 metres. There is a flat sandy bottom on the inner side of the reef with depths ranging from 9 to 35 metres, you can often find white tips sleeping on the bottom here. 

The reef top is the best part for coral and to watch eagle rays, manta rays and huge tuna fish swimming by. When the current does not allow swimming along the top, the best solution is to follow the side from where the current comes. In the current you can find congregating on the plankton rich waters. 

As this reef is at the edge of the atoll, the marine life here is very active. It is a busy hunting area, especially when the current is moderate to strong. In this case it is wonderful to watch the elegant movements of a large school of grey reef sharks that usually hover around the deep end of the thila at 35 metres. Other fishes to be found are groupers, big schools of snappers, jack fishes, fusiliers, barracudas and huge tunas. 

Often one can see young turtles, small manta rays, eagle rays and dolphins (at the surface only).

Mayaa Thila 

Maya Thila is about 80 meters in diameter and can easily be circumnavigated in one dive – if the current is favorable – although it is not uncommon for divers to spend the entire dive in one area to digest the incredible diversity of marine life; known for white tip reef sharks that circle.

The top starts at six meters and the reef edge drops from 12 meters to depths of 30 meters and more. Several coral outcrops occur on the northwest and south sides. There are many caves and overhangs all around the Thila. At a big cave on the north side is a feast of fish ranging from the white tips (which usually frequent the side of the reef where the current is strongest), dog-toothed tuna and great barracuda to blue-faced angelfish, Moorish idol, tall fin batfish, parrotfish, butterfly fish, clown triggerfish and lionfish. There are also other delights for the careful observer like stonefish and anglerfish. 

A big rock on the south side has a meter wide swim-through at 19 meters. 

On the reef top are many fusilier and blue stripe snapper and a large turtle is a regular around the reef. This dive is a fish watchers delight and the beautiful soft coral and gorgonians on the reef faces are a great attraction.

Fish Head

One of the worlds most famous dive sites, it's steep sides are spectacular with multi level ledges, overhangs and caves supporting many sea fans and black corals; it's top is heavily encrusted with anemones.

Fish Head is also protected as a Marine Reserve by the Maldivian government; although grey reef sharks are also quite common here, the smaller white tips are the center of attention, often wiith dozens of them circling the reef.

Beware of stonefish. The prolific Fish life at this protected marine area includes Fusiliers, large napoleons,trevally and Schools of hungry barracuda.

The main attractions are the grey-tip reef sharks, which can be seen up close.

Strong currents can make this a demanding dive and extreme care should be taken not to damage the superb but heavily used site.

Moofushi Rock

On the southside of the Moofushi channel a big plateau starts at the corner of the faru at 5 meter. This plateau slopes down towards an edge of 20 meter. On the east corner of the plateau, a big block is coming up to 16 meter. On the block you will be able to encounter our friendly Mantas from December to April. The mantas are using the block as a cleaning station, so observing these giants, turning and swimming around the block for an whole hour can be a common thing. But the divesite also offers another big variety of schooling fish, napoleon, white-tip and grey reefsharks. An easy divesite suitable for all level of divers.

Dhigaa Thila

Colorful soft coral and few gray reef sharks and barracudas.

Mahibadhoo Rock

Cleaning stations with Mantas 

Beyrukandu Thila

This is a very long submerged part of the barrier of the atoll (about 600 m.). The top of it varies between 8 and 16 meters and is about 20 meters large. The current comes normally perpendicularly from the reef, so there is always a way to dive there, even when it is quite strong. Divers are protected from the current as soon as they reach 4 m. deeper than the top, on either side. 

The best dive is on the top when there is no current. It is the best part for the coral and to watch eagle rays, manta rays and huge tuna fish passing close to the surface. When the current does not allow it, the best solution is to follow the side from where the current comes, where fishes hover to feed. The coral is particularly well preserved as the reef starts well under the surface and as such it is a beautiful garden. 

There are a lot of shells, moray eels and all kinds of fishes hiding under big coral masses or in many small caves on the inner atoll side. It is the best place to see turtles and napoleon wrasses, often entire families together. It is also home to white tip reef sharks lying on the sandy bottom. Grey reef sharks can often be seen on the corner at a depth of around 30 meters or even sometimes on the top of the reef. Whale shark and dolphins have been seen here at times. 

When the current is slight to moderate this is a perfect spot for all kind of divers, from beginners to experts, when the current is strong this dive should only be done by experienced divers as a fast descent to the reef is required. Once on the reef, it is easy
to dive on the side without current.

Alimathaa Jetty

Alimatha is one of the old school, old timer Italian resorts in the Maldives, which has a lather large jetty that sticks out into the water.

The kitchen cleans/guts incoming fish right on the jetty and chucks into the water right off the jetty. Over the years, they have trained the lazy local marine animals to take advantage of this free for all buffet.

Essentially, its just a sandy bottom that gets progressively deeper with some rocky patches and a jetty.

our dive guide made a very wise move, which I highly suggest that you nudge yours to do, should you end up on a liveaboard in the Maldives, and that is to start the dive at sunset, not in the darkness.

In the beginning this was counter intuitive. Later I realized she was a genius. We got in the water at about 5.30-5.45, or about 30 minutes before complete sundown. There were more than 15 liveaboards surrounding the Island, and as usual, Alimatha becomes an absolute chaotic zoo just after sun down.

As we got in the water, there was still plenty of light and no other divers in sight, so we had the first pick on which spot to occupy to settle down in.

Initially, I was sceptical about diving so early as I thought that the action wouldn't be there.

I was wrong.

The reef looked dead at first, but a few minutes into the dive, en route to our spot, I looked up to see a huge nurse shark heading straight towards me.

Soon we found a nice sandy patch on the sloping reef at about 12 metres and I got in position on my knees facing upwards.

Then the madness began.

Shark, after shark, giant trevally's and sting rays were literally like a mob that were over running us. It was virtually impossible to concentrate on any one subject as you would get distracted by another.

The timing was perfect and the dusk low light gave a nice effect for the photography - a stark contrast with shooting at night, which is virtually impossible.

At one point, it got a bit intimidating with 8-9 huge tawny nurse sharks circling us non stop, literally brushing us out of the way. They are harmless, sure, but nonetheless at one point it got a little bit uneasy with the sheer mass of animals bumping into you.

At one point, I looked back into the slightly deeper part of the reef and there were literally 60-70 sharks passing through, some were absolutely enormous, close to 3-4 metres long.

Kandooma Thila 

Kandooma Thila is shaped like a teardrop; this 300 meter long thila is considered by many the best dive site in north male and boasts great scenery as well as prolific fish life. 

The west edge of the thila is called Jack Corner and when the current is outgoing is the perfect current point. In fact the best time to do this dive site is with strong outgoing current, where barracudas, grey reef sharks, white tip shars, groupers, jacks and trevally will stay around the corner, while other fishes stay on the reef, like black snappers. Also there are eagle rays sometimes and small schools of dog toothed tuna.

Below Jack Corner there is small cave at 23m with lots of snapper and big eye trevally inside. 

This is not an easy dive site, as the thila starts at 16 meters, so you need a proper negative descent to the west part of the thila, and try to not fly away to the east or you'll end in the blue. After some minutes enjoying in Jack Corner, is possible to explore bot north and south sides of the thila. Some "climbing" might be needed.

Along the reef you will see eagle rays and reef sharks but for most of the divers the highlight is to find the big green turtles, sleeping and strolling on the top of the reef.

Kuda Giri Wreck

Kuda Giri is a very pretty ten-year-old small wreck at about 25m next to a very well established reef with lots of small caves and overhangs. There are lots of glassfish in the holds and titan triggerfish. There are shrimps inside a funnel and a few lobsters hiding in the wreck. The soft corals are very pretty and there are lovely corinthians at 5 metres.

We did the wreck first and saw lots of good size jacks and a Napoleon wrasse to about 60/70 cm. The wreck has a resident shoal of very friendly bat fish, which follow you during your dive. We also saw a turtle feeding on the Coral at the bridge end of the wreck. Once you have seen the wreck you can swim a short way back to the reef/thila and see all the normal Maldivian reef fish, including sweetlips, wrasses, parrotfish etc. 

#14 TwoWheelGuy

TwoWheelGuy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

Another good map link

http://www.peterloud...s/Maldives.html

#15 TwoWheelGuy

TwoWheelGuy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

OVERVIEW OF THE MALDIVES ATOLLS WE WILL VISIT

Feb 26 – Mar 5:  North Male – Ari – Vaavu – South Male

Mar 5 – 15: North Male – Lhaviyani – Noonu – Raa – Baa – Rasdhoo – Ari – Vaavu – South Male

ARI ATOLL

With feeding manta rays, graceful whale sharks and schooling hammerheads, the Ari Atoll is a pelagic dream. Most of the dive sites here are not protected walls or coral reefs. Rather, the region favors thilas (pinnacles) and kandus (channels) perfect for drift diving. Because of the exposed nature of the atoll, currents can be quite strong and many dive sites might not be suitable for beginners.

Maaya Thila, widely regarded as one of the top dive sites in the Maldives, can be suitable for beginners, but with variable current, it’s best to listen to the advice of dive masters in the area. The pinnacle begins at 20 feet (6 meters) and drops gently to 40 feet (12 meters) where a sheer drop-off leads to 100 feet (30 meters). In the shallows, the pinnacle is covered in nudibranchs, frog fish and zebra morays. Further down, divers will delight in the schools of colorful fish, flying formations of eagle rays and even the occasional guitar shark.

Fish Head, which is under marine protected status, is one of the best places in Ari Atoll for spotting sharks. Located in the mid-eastern region of the atoll, it is best reached by liveaboard as otherwise it is an hours-long speedboat journey. The pinnacle which plunges from 32-115 feet (10-35 meters) is covered in black coral bushes and dotted with caves and overhangs. Residents include up to 16 grey reef sharks and thousands of blueline snappers. Due to unpredictable current and the depth at which most of the marine life is spotted, this dive is most suitable to intermediate and advanced divers.

BAA ATOLL

With the diverse marine life around its reefs, thilas (submerged islands), overhangs and swim throughs, Baa Atoll deserves its UNESCO status.

Located to the east, and part of the atoll’s protected reef, is the Horubadhoo Thila at a depth of 39-52 feet (12-16 meters). The thila is covered in different hard and soft corals, lots of macro life and large pelagic. On either side of the thila are large rocks where schooling black jacks hunt fusiliers. The south-west monsoon (May to November) sees manta rays using the thila as a cleaning station. Shoals of glassy fish also swim around the coral. Depending on the light and density of the shoal, it can be a spectacular sight. The coral appears through them, distorted, as though you’re wearing glasses with the wrong prescription.

To the south-east of the atoll is Nelivaru Haa. The topography around this site is unique. The top of the reef is found at 46 feet (14 meters) and drops off to 98 feet (30 meters). Star shaped canyons are found in the middle and overhangs, which are covered in hard and soft corals, are found on the reef’s walls. Amongst the caves and overhangs, you’ll also find stingrays, big groupers, friendly batfish or a school of oriental sweet lips. This entire reef becomes a cleaning station during manta season, and while they hover to be cleaned, you’ll be able to observe them closely. 

Advanced divers can explore Dhonfanu Thila and its swim through. The thila starts at 26 feet (8 meters), and as you descend you may see manta rays. Located at 82 feet (25 meters) is the base of a narrow swim through lined with black coral. You'll ascend to its exit at 59 feet (18 meters). Amongst the reef’s overhangs are yellow-lined snapper, soldierfish and cleaning wrasses. Expect to see lots of other fish: redtoothed triggers, black pyramid butterflyfish, parrotfish, angelfish and starry rabbitfish.

The popular whale shark spots may be full of ravenous snorkelers, but Baa Atoll’s dive sites are well chartered and offer lots of diverse diving and marine life.

LHAVIYANI ATOLL

Due to the popularity of this atoll the dive sites are well explored. You’ll get the best advice during your visit.

The Aquarium is a sheltered dive on the reefs off Huravalhi Island, and suitable for all levels. A steep drop-off follows a reef that descends to 82 feet (25 meters). Wonderful schools of bluestripe snappers with cyan stripes down their yellow bodies swarm around the coral, while the algae provides food for hawksbill turtles. Guitar sharks can also be seen on the sandy bottom. They use the coral as a cleaning station.

In the north-east of the atoll is the Shipyard where Skipjack 1 and 2, both now covered with colorful hard and soft corals, have laid since the 1980s. Skipjack 1 sits upright and its bow is visible above the water’s surface. At 45 feet (15 meters) the winch arm creates a magnificent silhouette as the sun shines through it. Skipjack 2 lays on its side at 92 feet (28 meters).  Expect butterfly fish, damsels, small blennies, and glassy fish (its bone structure is visible through its translucent body). Advanced divers may spot a stingray sleeping under the wrecks.

More experienced divers can head to Madivaru Kandu – a channel dive to the south of the wrecks. As you drift from one corner of the channel to the other, look out for eagle rays passing above you like jets performing in an aerial display. Whitetip reef sharks may follow the channel’s edge, and schools of snappers and brightly colored triggerfish can be seen at the channel’s corners. At 90 feet (30 meters) some deep overhangs can also be found,

NOONU ATOLL

The Noonu Atoll offers diving for all levels of experience but is better suited to intermediate divers. If you’re staying on the atoll, then beginners will have the opportunity to progress and experience the thrill of challenging drift dives.

Located on the outer reef of the atoll’s southern tip is the Raafushi dive – suitable for all levels. The top of the reef is 10-15 feet (3-5 meters) deep and drops off to 39-46 feet (12-14 meters). Expect nudibranchs, and redtoothed triggerfish with their distinctive red teeth that look like incisors. As you navigate the reef’s long crack, you might see a nocturnal nurse shark having a snooze.

Intermediate divers can head to the Christmas Rock. This dive’s moniker comes from its circular shaped thila (submerged island). Its highest point is found at a depth of 46 feet (14 meters). As you navigate the rock, you might see whitetip reef sharks - it's as though their dorsal fins have been sprinkled with snow. Look out for stingrays resting in the overhangs.

Orimas Thila offers a deeper dive for advanced divers. The thila is found at 46 feet (14 meters) and drops off to 98 feet (30 meters). The dive’s highlight are the grey reef sharks. These predators can be found in groups of up to twenty, and the thila also functions as a nursery. Expect to see larger females protecting their juveniles. Rays, leopard and guitar sharks may also be about.

NORTH MALÉ ATOLL

With colorful coral, deep wrecks and feeding manta rays, the North Male Atoll is a diving wonderland. This atoll is home to the most visited dive sites in the Maldives. Whatever your desire, you’re sure to find something to fit your needs in the North Male Atoll.

Maldives Victory Wreck, widely regarded as the most popular dive site in the North Male Atoll, is a 328 feet (100 meter) long Singaporean cargo ship which ran aground in 1981. Today it sits between 39 feet (12 meters) and 115 feet (35 meters) below sea level and is encrusted by corals and fans. Local residents include groupers, batfish and schools of fusiliers. The occasional turtle might also be spotted taking a rest on the deck of the ship.

Manta Point is the best place in the North Male Atoll for spotting manta rays. This dive site is located in the southeast of the atoll and has much more to offer than an impressive number of rays. At 39 feet (12 meters), a colorful reef begins. As you descend to 131 feet (40 meters), the size of the animals grows. You might find schools of barracudas, hawksbill turtles and napoleonfish. During the right time of year, visitors can observe manta rays being cleaned by wrasses. From May to October, the manta rays can be seen in their rare cyclone feeding formation. 

RAA ATOLL

Raa’s diving is popular due to the high density of thilas (submerged islands) located inside its lagoon. The marine life amongst the caves, overhangs and drop-offs is diverse. 

Fenfushi Thila is in the south of the atoll. The top of the pinnacle starts at 10 feet (3 meters). As you descend, you’ll see anemone coral and masked bannerfish with zebra stripes and yellow fins. At 46 feet (14 meters), you’ll find impressive overhangs that continue to 92 feet (28 meters) where big tuna, Napoleon wrasses, turtles and groupers can be found. You’ll find tubastrea corals on the walls and schools of orange basslets swimming by.

On the eastern side of the atoll is a site known as The Wall. The top of the reef is found at 33 feet (10 meters), and you’ll dive with Napoleon wrasses, eagle rays and turtles. During the south-west monsoon there are plenty of mantas, and you can spend time watching the birds of the ocean glide around you. The reef then drops off, and as you descend you’ll find caves, large sea fans and yellow and pink soft corals. The wall descends to 197 feet (60 meters) where you’ll find huge tuna and schools of longfin bannerfish. They have a long, curved dorsal fin that protrudes like a white antenna.

The Labirinth is another thila dive with interesting topography and marine life, and it's one of the atoll’s most popular dive sites. The reef has soft and hard corals, canyons, tunnels and lots of fish. Batfish will try to make friends with you but the grey and whitetip reef sharks probably won’t. In the crevices, you’ll see moray eels and groupers swimming amongst the corals. Depending on the season, you might see juvenile emperor angelfish. Their blue and white markings look like a drawing of an earthquake’s epicenter.

SOUTH MALÉ ATOLL

Featuring wild drifts in deep channels, wrecks and caves, the South Male Atoll is home to large pelagics and interesting environs. On the eastern side, there are six channels that feed all sorts of marine life into the atoll’s dive sites. While reef life isn’t as complete here as in nearby Ari or North Male, divers still flock to the area for its challenging elements and sizeable fish.

Cocoa Thila, often cited as one of the best dive sites in the Maldives, is a large pinnacle on the eastern edge of the atoll. Here divers can shelter themselves in the overhangs and ravines in order to escape the strong currents. It is these currents that bring in all manner of marine life. Sightings in the area include schools of fusiliers, sweetlips, red snapper, trevally, eagle rays, white sharks and grey sharks. 

Vadhoo Caves, on the northern side of the atoll, is home to a series of caves in which to escape the powerful current. When you explore this area, you will see the variety of life that call the caves home, including unicornfish, turtles and soldierfish. As you gaze out into the blue, you might glimpse reef sharks, eagle rays or tuna frollicking in the current. At the end of the dive, enjoy the colorful table reef before battling the current during your safety stop.

VAAVU ATOLL

The diving in Vaavu is popular for its channels, but the strong currents aren’t always suitable for beginners.

Located to the south of the Vattaru Reef is an easy dive. It’s protected from strong currents and begins in the channel. You'll drift along the reef’s edge with butterflyfish and oriental sweet lips that have a leopard-skin pattern on their fins. Whitetip reef sharks, Napoleon wrasses and eagle rays will be about. Advanced divers can explore the overhangs between 82-98 feet (25-30 meters).

A dive on the inner reef explores four thilas (submerged islands) which drop off to 65 feet (20 meters). Large schools of lunar fusiliers flash as they swim amongst the well-formed corals; reef sharks and turtles can also be seen. During the wet season you might also find mantas.

Located in the north-east of the atoll is the Miyaru Kandu. Due to the currents this dive may be challenging for beginners, and only advanced divers can explore the caves at the corner of the channel (72 feet (22 meters)). You’ll find wire corals and groupers in these caves. However, this dive’s main attraction is the chance of a rare encounter with a hammerhead shark at the channel’s edge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users