• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Bonaire....Dec 2004...just back

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 13 December 2004 - 05:42 AM

Well I finally got to experience all the hype I have heard about regarding Bonaire and it wasnt bad actually.

We left from RDU at 0530 with little problems. Yes I set off every alarm TSA had but they search my dive gear quickly and politely and got me on the plane. I had my pony bottle in my checked in baggage and they never opened that bag to see what was in it.

Delta to Atlanta was good....even got a free bump up to first class. But Air Jamaica from Atlanta to Montego Bay was a mess. My seat was falling apart and that really made me worry considering the noises coming out of the engines.

We got to Mon Bay and met up with two guys from the Scuba Board. No one had a clue what gate to go to.....I had to get boarding passes....it was a complete disorganized zoo.

When I went to get my boarding passes somehow all my reservations had been cancelled. but they had seats on the plane so I was issued new tickets. Then they told us the plane was either at one gate or another.....go find it.

We finally got to Bonaire and was met by a lady who runs the place where we stayed. She was nice and pretty well organized. She had our truck rental paperwork so we tooled on over to the rental building and got our trucks.

Then it was on to the inn where we had reservations. It was pretty nice actually. Small room with kitchenette, AIR CONDITIONED, and TV.

The only surprise there was.....NO HOT WATER !! Now that may be normal for you who go to Bonaire all the time.....but man.....it got to be rough taking cold showers every day. I dont fly that far and pay to be uncomfy. That is the only item that MIGHT stop me from using that particular inn again. The rest was just fine and dandy.

This inn has a deal with Buddy Dive resort so that was where we got our tanks and had to do a check out dive. It wasnt structured or monitored, it was just a chance for you to determine your proper weighting. I had brought my weights and knew my weighting for that particular salinity and just enjoyed the dive.

The required class and check out dive lasted until about 1130 then we did PB&J sandwiches for lunch. Then it was off for two dives that afternoon.

If you have been there you know that Bonaire is one of the best places if you want to dive dive dive dive....and dive. If you are a non diver.....it can be pretty bleak.

We did the standards....1000 steps.....the Hooker....and so on.

My travel companion does not dive so I would usually dive like crazy in the mornings and we would hoof around the island in the afternoons. We did the full island perimeter drive Wed and more shopping.

If you go....I would recommend MANGO's for breakfast. It was an all you can eat buffet and only $7.00 a person. Best deal on the island. Also find CASABLANCA's and order the grill teller for two. You will have enough meat to last you for 5 lunches. What a monster plate of food!!! And cheap.

We also did a night time sunset cat cruise. They are always fun. And, there was only one other couple on the boat with us and the guy still went out.

The trip back was a nightmare from the word go. All planes were late and we were running our butts off at every airport trying to make connections.

I def hope to get back there some day. Gotta start saving now!

Later all
Rich
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users