• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Key Largo : Jan 15 and 16th

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, Adv Nitrox, Deco
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:50 AM

A couple of us are heading to Key Largo for the weekend of 15th and 16th

Sat 15th (morning) - 3 tank dive with Divers City (diverscityusa.com)
Sunday 16th (morning) - 2 tank dive with Blue Water Divers (www.bluewaterdiver.net)

Looks like wrecks & reefs on both days (and weather permitting - Speigel Grove on the Sun)

...anyone want to join us ?

Stuart

#2 KBScarlett

KBScarlett

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox (aiming for Rescue)
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:53 PM

Stu--
I may want to join you. Don't think I can handle a full day on the water for a three tanker......gets just too chilly.....but may contemplate popping down Sat. PM and diving Sunday. Keep me informed as we get closer.
Where will you be staying....Marina del Mar again?

#3 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 04:06 PM

not booked anywhere to stay yet - will check it out on expedia tomorrow (or see if Brent can get us a discount), so probably Marina Del Mar (as it has a pool and is next door to Blue Water divers)

Hope you can make it - we can get together for dinner on the Sat night.

#4 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 06:24 PM

ok, talked to Brent at Blue Water divers to see if they had any decent discounts - looks like it is high season (hence a little pricey everywhere), so he couldn't get a greast rate - best rate for Marina Del Mar was on expedia.com and was $107 + taxes etc. = $122. I booked in for Sat night.

Boat should be setting off about 8:30 am on Sun.

-- S

#5 KBScarlett

KBScarlett

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:32 PM

So, Marina del Mar was cheaper via internet than going through Brent?

I imagine I can handle dinner; when?

#6 HandyGeek

HandyGeek

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:44 PM

For the dive on Sunday, are you doing the wreck dives or reef dives? I'm not wreck certified, but i suppose I could look around without going "in". Any idea as to the water temp there right now?

Jeff

:evilgrin:

#7 KBScarlett

KBScarlett

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 02:11 PM

I'm not certain what dives are planned for Sunday...I'm usually content to go wherever the boat takes me :evilgrin:
I'm not wreck certified, and do not enter any overheads on wrecks, other than simple swim throughs...there's usually plenty to see without penetrating them.

However, as Stu said, if we plan the Speigel Grove, it does get fairly deep (100+ ft.), which can be considered a bit more advanced. It depends on your own training, experience and comfort level whether you're comfortable diving it. If the current is ripping like it often does, all you can really do is hold on and stay close.

Water temp......in mid December was @72 or so.......getting darn chilly!

#8 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:30 PM

As KB says - wreck certification is not necessary, but it is deep. Usually if the currents are strong on one of the wrecks they take us to another without current instead(not much fun in current) - but occasionally current kicks in when your down there...on any of the wrecks we are likely to dive, there is plenty to see without doing any penetration or swim thoughs

The basic plan as it stands is a wreck then a reef or 2 wrecks...or if strong current it could be 2 reefs

The best idea would probably be to give Blue Water Divers a call and talk to Brent.

..mmmm...does sound a little chilly - I'll have to break out the wetsuit.

For Marina Del Mar - yes - Brent could only get a $119 rate (+ taxes etc.), so the special on expedia [$107+] was the best. [Marriott was $280!!!$@$!] -I didn't check things like the Hungry Pelican though

#9 MadManMike

MadManMike

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:30

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:53 PM

I have been on the Spiegel a few times, and the midships buoy is connected to the ship at about 65'. You can see most of the wreck without exceeding 90 feet, relatively easily. The bow and stern buoys are anchored deeper, I want to say 80 or 85', but still there is no reason to exceed 90 feet if you don't want to, and still have a great time.

The last time I dove it (2 weekends ago) my buddy and I started at the midships line, went all the way aft to see the screw (propeller for you landlubber types), made it all the way to the bow line and back to the midships line for the ascent in about 24 minutes. Granted, we were moving kind of fast, but we saw the whole ship and never exceeded 88 feet. You certainly can if you wish, I believe sand at the deepest point is at 135', but since the ship is on its side, once you have seen the upper half, you have essentially seen it all.

And for the last few weeks, at least when I was on her, the current was VERY light. Of course, YMMV, so assume there will be some current.

The weather here has been atrocious for the last 10 days. Small craft advisories, wind 15-20kts out of the east (worst direction for boating) every single day. Calling for more of the same this weekend, but it HAS to end. Hopefully by the following weekend!

I may try to join you guys, the Spiegel is one of my favorite dives.

mmm

#10 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:04 PM

yeah, the Speigal is a great dive. and there is lots to see without going below 100fsw.
the deepest spot on the Speigal is 138fsw. and every now and then there is a ray or two hangin out there.

even with current, you can usualy duck over the side and escape the current, as long as ya stay near the wreck.
something else to check out is the massive welldeck. usualy a ton of fish hanging out at the opening.

good to hear BlueWater has their boat back up and running.
week before Christmas some friends of mine were headed out to a wreck with them when the engine blew out.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#11 HandyGeek

HandyGeek

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:13 PM

So if we are diving as a group, do we have a reservation? What are the costs? Are we simply meeting there in hopes that a boat will accomodate us? I haven't done a charter dive with any SD'ers yet, so i don't know all of this stuff.

#12 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:02 PM

We're not listed as any group so actually for this one, it is best to contact the operators and any hotel directly - DiversCity for the Sat and BlueWater divers for the Sun (or if you are uncertain for a deep wreck on the sunday dive you could always see what DiversCity are doing on that day - they said a 3 tank dive but I'm not sure where they will go). I have dived with Blue Water Divers before and know Brent, but not dived with DiversCity.

Not sure of your dive history so I'll just add the following (ignore if you are already Nitrox certified or do deep dives etc.]::::

Not sure if you are Nitrox certified - a couple of people coming [one from my LDS and one from another board] have contacted DiversCity so they can do their Nitrox certification on the Saturday (the dive shop will mail them the books etc. and then they will do the dives on Nitrox and take the test on the Sat)..they will then do the Sunday with BlueWater on Nitrox [let BWater know you want nitrox tanks in advance]
...alternatively, if you're not interested in Nitrox at this point, your available bottom time will just be a little less. Remember you use Nitrox at the same rate as air, so if you generally use the air fairly quickly at depth (so usually need to surface well before you come close to your NDL) it will not add any bottom time for you - if you use air fairly slowly you wil see the benefits with Nitrox with the extended time.

If you need any gear, let the dive ops know - you could always buy yourself any late christmas gifts (as there are lots of dive shops in the area) or rent any stuff you dont have.

PM me if you have any questions etc.

-- S

#13 KBScarlett

KBScarlett

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 06:42 PM

To make it easier for you: BlueWater Divers

Phone is (305) 453-9600
Two tank dive ends up being @ 75-$80 (just quoting from memory). This includes tanks, though I always bring my own.

And Diver's City:

Diver's City

Phone: (305) 852-0430

Website states a three-tank (air tanks) is $85 (plus tax, I'm sure).

See ya'll Saturday PM....stay warm!

#14 HandyGeek

HandyGeek

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 07:38 PM

I don't know if I'll be able to make it Saturday evening. I may just stay somewhere between Tampa and Key Largo Saturday night and leave for KL early Sunday AM. Those room rates are a bit high for this frugal diver. As for the Nitrox thing, I'll have to pass on that. I imagine I'll work up to it eventually. Honestly, a good two tank dive wears me out enough as it is! hey, I only have seven dives so far. :welcome:

Jeff

#15 MadManMike

MadManMike

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:30

Posted 06 January 2005 - 07:46 PM

your available bottom time will just be a little less.  Remember you use Nitrox at the same rate as air,

I would just add that, from personal experience, I use regular air at a faster rate than Nitrox. I believe this to be for the following reason:

Nitrox is a higher concentration of O2, so for every breath, you are getting more 'bang for the breath' so your body compensates and you tend to breathe more slowly.

This was also covered in the classroom sessions of my Nitrox course. Again, this is just my personal experience, and YMMV.

Of course, the first time I used it, I burned thru it like it was going out of style. The combination of being deep on the 'new stuff', and the ensuing excitement because of it was the reason, I assume.

Anyway, Nitrox is cool, certainly worth considering. Lets you have more of what we all want submerged: time.

(also minimizes the narcing at depth, a good thing at any cost)

mmm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users