• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Kiribati

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:11 AM

:teeth: I am checking out Kiribati (christmas island), looks as though it could be somewhat like Palau.

Has anyone been there?

If so what did you see? best time of year to visit?

Thanks for any info, Scott
You must endeavor to pursue!

#2 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:00 AM

I haven't been there but I looked into it when planning my Micronesia trip and from what I've read it could be very similar to Palau. Drift diving over hard coral gardens with pelagics. It's more off the beaten path then Palau. You could be the first person at SD to learn how to pronounce Kirbarti, much less actually visit it.

#3 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:41 AM

fyi Christmas Island is otherwise known as Kiritimati :D

Kiribati is pronounced Kiribuss :usflag:

Edited by blacklatexozdiver, 30 May 2005 - 10:43 AM.

"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#4 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:53 AM

fyi Christmas Island is otherwise known as Kiritimati  :birthday:

Kiribati is pronounced Kiribuss  :D

:usflag: I know all that. But have you dove there? Is so any info would be appreciated.

#5 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:21 PM

No mate... sorry
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#6 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:42 PM

Wasn't that a Nuclear Test Site??? the fish glow there???

Also, isn't it a Chem/Bio site??? or an old one?..
Somewhere SW of Hawaii..

Just wondering, sounded familiar.. if it's ALSO the place with the AirCraft Carrier, I have some friends who dove it... pretty much a PITA to get too... and a little rough resort?? staying there..

Could be somewhere else too.. I dunno, just saw the post and thought I'd jump in...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#7 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:59 PM

Somewhere SW of Hawaii..

Just wondering, sounded familiar.. if it's ALSO the place with the AirCraft Carrier, I have some friends who dove it... pretty much a PITA to get too... and a little rough resort?? staying there..

Could be somewhere else too.. I dunno, just saw the post and thought I'd jump in...

Yes it was a Nuclear test site in the 50's......But as far as the fish glowing...... :teeth: Bring em on!

Do not know about the Aircraft carrier but that would be a great dive! I hope you are wrong about the resort.....because it costs a bloody fortune for 7 nights and it is about 4 hours south, southwest of Hawaii

#8 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:08 PM

Ok, still not sure, but the "Rough Resort" was the one with the Carrier, probably somewhere else... it's a PITA to get there... apx 2 days or something... I'm thinking it's somewhere else... If Christmas Tree Island isn't bragging about a Carrier, then it's somewhere else... get confused past Puget Sound...
sorry'bout that... and have a good trip...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

#9 texasdiverdude

texasdiverdude

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave, Trimix
  • Logged Dives:774

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:04 AM

I haven't been there, but I have it from good source that it was mediocre. If you're going to that part of the world then the Marshall Islands are a better bet.

Nauru is also there in the area and I know they have diving, but I have no information on it

#10 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:13 AM

I haven't been there, but I have it from good source that it was mediocre. If you're going to that part of the world then the Marshall Islands are a better bet.

Nauru is also there in the area and I know they have diving, but I have no information on it

I have read about 8 trip reports about Kiribati (Kirimati) 7 have been VG to Excellent one very poor. In talking to 3 people who have been there, it was the best dive trip the were ever on. But their dive experience was the Caribbean and had never been to the South Pacific before except Hawaii. So I will find out.

Last year I went on two dive trips, Sipidan and the Galapagos Islands which cost about 18K....with exception of about a half dozen dives...I've seen more in Catalina Island :) So you never know!

Regarding the Marshall Islands, I was looking to put a trip together in the fall of 2006. In doing my final research I spoke with the owner of a major tour company who has sent 20,000+ divers to the South pacific over the last 25+ years.

He want on and on about how pristine the corals are and the variety of tropical fish.....then he asked me about my diving experience.......he told me not to fool with it unless it was a liveaboard!

#11 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:12 AM

Somewhere SW of Hawaii..

for the Chem/Bio storage your thinking of Kwajelin, and the entire stockpile has been destroyed. The Prince Eugin is the most famous wreck there. But good luck trying to get there unless you know someone living on the island, or if you can swing one of Yokwe Divers expeditions.

the atomic test site with the aircraft carrier is Bikini Atoll. great place, but you had better be there for the diving, cause their ain't nothin else out there. and no, the fish don't glow.

currently there are only 2 diveable aircraft carriers in the world.

the USS Saratoga in Bikini Atoll and the HMS Hermes off the coast of Sri Lanka.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#12 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:34 AM

Hmm... Interesting.. where is Kwajelien?.. I tried to find it on the Google maps (not much help beyound CONUS, but was thinking that I might have been thinking of Johnston Atoll?
Dunno, just met some guy Paragliding and he was working down there somewhere near Hawaii.. but not right in that area..

Just wondering.. thanx...

Ok, found it....
http://abs-afn.army.mil/Kwajalein/

It might have been there... seemed a little further than he was talking bout though.. Oh well.. what the heck..

Thanx for the info

Edited by fbp, 28 August 2005 - 09:41 AM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

#13 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:50 AM

Kwaj is part of the Marshall Islands.

the capital of the Marshall Islands is Majuro, on Majuro Atoll, which is about a 3 or 4 hour flight from Hawaii.

Kwaj is about 2 hours from Majuro

and then Bikini is another 1 or 2 from Kwaj.

it is a major PITA to get to Bikini. you fly a turboprop puddlejumper from Majuro to Kwaj and then to Bikini.

the flight is only once a week, and there are only 11 guests on the island at a time, and only about 6 or 7 staff.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users