• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Drysuit seals, to cut or not

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 WVMike

WVMike

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:270

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:08 AM

I have run into two schools of thought on latex neck and wrist seals. One school says to trim the seals if they are too tight, the other says to stretch.

Neck seals have rings and some think they are to be trimmed off one at a time to fit.

The stretching schools say to put the neck seal over a coffee can for six hours if it too tight. And then a tank if the coffee can doesn't help.

The question is "To cut or not?"

Mike

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:01 AM

Trim it a little at a time until it still seals, but doesn't constrict blood flow. An improperly trimmed neck seal can cause you to pass out and drown.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:51 AM

Yes, definately trim to fit.
Obviously a little at a time if it's Latex with rings on it..
That's what the rings are for, as a guide.

And since I don't want to get jumped on, DUI brags about how their seal "doesn't stretch" and believe the others are mfg'd the same way.. not to stretch.. wouldn't last long if they were stretchable.

Having said that, I've tried the same thing with a neck seal, putting on a alum 80 tank for 2 days and it seemed to stretch a little... and then back to size... but still needed to trim first.

Trimming is not easy.. therefore the rings.
You can't just put it in a paper cutter (as I have done) to get a clean cut straight accross. You have to follow a curve and that's what the rings are for.

Cut on the top side of the ridge to keep that ridge as a stronger rim. No NICKS.. as they form the best chance for your next tear... :teeth: so cut with care.. and heheh, don't cut too much...

If you eyes bulge, face red and puffy, cut down to the next ring. It doesn't have to be that tight. The cold water will cause shrinkage (body) so you need to have it tight. Cutting too much and you get to buy another seal.

I prefer the stronger heavier "military?" seals as they don't "seem"? to tear as easily... probably just an assumption on my part.

The thicker neoprene seals can be made smaller by sending back to the shop. They don't have to replace it, they just cut down the seam and reglue... I'm talking about the Hi-Tides setups... not something you'd want to try, but it's quick and simple for them to do it..

Finally, I had the DUI Rings installed and like the ability to change them out if there is a tear. Expensive, but did tear on on a Canada trip and ruined the dives.
Keep in mind you need to have a back up set to make it work it's magic... ie. replace them on the spot. A little hard to get used to the stiff ring when putting on and off, but not a real problem...

Hope that helps..
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#4 Genesis

Genesis

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Cert Level:Caveish
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:34 AM

Latex seals will not stretch and stay stretched. Neoprene can and will.

So if you have Latex, you have to cut. Just, as mentioned, be very careful not to leave nicks, because that'll be where they tear.

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:50 AM

Yep, what Frank said above! The only time I have seen the "coffee" can method for neck seals and "pork & beans" cans for wrist seals is for those divers with neoprene seals. I don't know if it really works as I don't dive neoprene seals (had a full flood at depth in 39 degree water with a neoprene neck seal once :teeth:) I have not seen that method used for latex seals as they don't stay stretched out for the reasons Frank noted.

I cut my seals to fit when I first got my suit and have had no issues with them. They fit great and no leaks!

Oh, and I know this may sound silly, but some divers have done this: do not attempt to trim your seals with the seals stretched out, they can split and run. Apparently the dive shop owner I purchased my suit said he deals with this issue more often than you would think, people attempting to trim the seal while it's on a coffee can or some other similar object. And as Frank noted, you cannot trim it by cutting it straight across. Even doubling it up is not recommended. Just start in one spot with very very sharp scissors and follow the ring avoiding nicks that could split when putting on the suit.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#6 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:56 PM

Obviously a little at a time if it's Latex with rings on it..
That's what the rings are for, as a guide.

Is this what you're talking about?

http://singledivers....ads/paduang.jpg
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,616 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 February 2005 - 02:57 PM

The only time I have seen the "coffee" can method for neck seals and "pork & beans" cans for wrist seals is for those divers with neoprene seals. I don't know if it really works as I don't dive neoprene seals...

I have neoprene seals and it does work. It is even suggested in the manufacturer's book for my suit...(High Tide).

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:14 PM

I have neoprene seals and it does work. It is even suggested in the manufacturer's book for my suit...(High Tide).

I wondered about that, so now I know! Thanks WW!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#9 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:44 PM

Ever since I discovered neoprene seals I've always used them, for neck and wrists. Never had a leak let alone a flood, never had to replace them, never felt anything other than totally comfortable. The opposite on all counts was true for latex. They do have to fit you properly of course, and you have to know how to put them on.

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:20 PM

I do understand them to be more comfortable. Some of my DMs have gotten bad rashes after long weekends from their latex seals. I'll just never shake that flood. It was the WORST. It's a hilarious story, but the most uncomfortable experience. On of the guys I was diving with was another DM of mine and former Navy. He said when I surfaced he heard worse things out of my mouth than he did while on active duty.... :lmao:

#11 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:09 PM

I do understand them to be more comfortable. Some of my DMs have gotten bad rashes after long weekends from their latex seals. I'll just never shake that flood. It was the WORST. It's a hilarious story, but the most uncomfortable experience. On of the guys I was diving with was another DM of mine and former Navy. He said when I surfaced he heard worse things out of my mouth than he did while on active duty.... :teeth:

Sounds like when I came up after tearing my suit open on a corner of a wreck's pilothouse. There was no doubt that I used to be in the submarine service and that we weren't always the "Silent Service." :o Water flooding into "that area" was definitely not a pleasant experience when it was 41 degrees.

I prefer latex seals myself. I have to order larger seals with a medium suit because the @#@!$ things take off circulation to my hands and head otherwise (and my overall build is smaller), but I have helped people roll in their neoprene seals before. I'll keep my properly fitting latex seals.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#12 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:23 PM

I liked Latex, but also got a "Diver's Hicky" from them.

They're more pliable, thiner and prone to tearing a little easier than Neo, but Neo is more comfortable, IMNSHO, but stiffer.

I like the DUI as it's roll-upable for packing as the Hi-Tide isn't so much as it'll start to crease.. so it's pretty much a mattter of choice.

I like them both, seals and all.. now diving with the neo (Hi-Tide) and keep the DUI as a backup... weighting is a little different, but usually offset with the undergarments so balances out..

Seal wise, Neo seems to be the easiest to deal with.. no worry about nicks, durable but thick...

Heheh... Ya Jamie, those are the rings.. of fire...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

#13 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:21 AM

I stretched my neck seal over an aluminum 80 for 24 hours. That seemed to do the job for me.

Next suit, I will go with zip seals. If I have to trim, I won't be so fearful.

I would at least try stretching before trimming. If it doesn't work, then you have to go for it. If it does, you won't ever have to figure out afterward that you trimmed just a little too much. :teeth:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#14 WVMike

WVMike

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:270

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for all the replys and info.

My last dry suit had neo seals and they fit me well out of the box. Neck seal always felt a little tight at first. They worked OK, however if I got into a situation such as helping with OW checkout dives where my head was constantly on a swivel the neck seal did leak some, and my shirt sleeves got somewhat damp at cuffs. Never major flooding.

I just got a new suit OS Systems, with latex seals, Wrists feel great, neck seal is causing some eye bulge.

I heard as the above advice points out to stretch out the neo seals and cut the latex. The guy I bought the new suit from says never cut the latex seals, and the instructions that came with the suit from OS Systems says to use the can method and stretch the seals if they are to tight.

Mike

#15 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:32 AM

Yeah Mike,
It could be what with new materials and all..

Neo: Leaking, my Neo did the same thing, burps... when in different angles, was constantly having to put in air... sent it back for the mfg to tighten up which they did. It's an apparently easy process for them as they don't have to replace the seals, neck or wrist, just cut them length wise and reglue... now works fine.. just have them measure again and they should be able to do it...

Latex: If that's what the mfg recommends then by all means try it... DUI makes those ring for the intent purpose of cutting. They absolutely state that Stretching, a common thought, DOES NOT Work... so go figure... probably new materials and the mfg should know what works and what doesn't...

Good luck, I use an alum 80 when I tried it... a little lube/powder to make it slip on better but check with the mfg to see what they recommend... after all, they're the ones that will repair/replace it if it doesn't work eh??? Eye bulge :banghead:
is NOT good... heheh

Dive safe...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users