• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Scubapro Reg MK-20 Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 outback

outback

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cert Level:Assistant Instructor
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:43 PM

This came up on another forum - thought I'd replicate it here just in case. I think the original message was intended for NOAA divers, so there doesn't appear to be a recall out there. Yet...

See link for a picture. Scary if this happened underwater.

http://www.chumclub....hread.php?t=150

This is an important Diver Alert issued by the NOAA Dive Center, Seattle, WA.

Effective immediately, all NOAA divers must discontinue diving with the Scubapro MK-20 first stage regulators. Another catastrophic failure (reference photo below) of a MK-20 was recently reported to the NOAA Diving Center, that could have produced serious injury.

We are currently working with Scubapro to replace all MK-20 regulators with MK-25 regulators as soon as possible. In the interim, the NDC has a limited number of MK-25 regulators available for immediate issue on a case-by-case basis. If you have a MK20 regulator and have an urgent need to dive, please contact Lisa Glover at the NOAA Dive Center to arrange for a replacement regulator. She can be reached at Lisa.Glover@noaa.gov or 206-526-6446.

We understand that this may pose significant hardship on a number of our divers, but feel that the potential risk involved with continued use of these regulators necessitates this action.

Edited by outback, 04 March 2005 - 02:44 PM.

#2 Genesis

Genesis

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Cert Level:Caveish
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:03 PM

I don't see how replacing the 20s with 25s changes anything. 25s are just 20s with a different HP seat plug (that allows adjustment of the IP without taking the reg apart)

If this is a design flaw, it will apply to the 25 as well as the 20. If its a maintenance problem (e.g. radical overtorquing of the yoke or din attachment) then its not a problem with the Mk20, but rather with how it has been treated.

#3 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:50 PM

another source has informed me they have had a problem like this from over (not) torquing the yoke nut... but it would not surprise me if this was coupled with being attached to a cylinder when the tank fell over on the reg. SP reportedly has not taken a position on this yet...
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#4 Genesis

Genesis

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Cert Level:Caveish
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:18 PM

another source has informed me they have had a problem like this from over (not) torquing the yoke nut... but it would not surprise me if this was coupled with being attached to a cylinder when the tank fell over on the reg. SP reportedly has not taken a position on this yet...

That'd do it - landing a kit on the reg would definitely overstress the metal there....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users