• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Solo Diving

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 BSG

BSG

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water SSI - AOW NAUI
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:03 PM

This has probably been discussed before, but I haven't seen it and most people reserve the option to change their opinions over time. So, what are your opinions? If properly equipped and trained, is it safer since there is no "buddy" to worry about? Should it be allowed at all? What would be your idea of the best course of education for the person who wanted to go solo? Just how much redundant gear is enough?

#2 BSG

BSG

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:19 PM

I know people are reading - doesn't anyone have an opinion? I always heard opinions were like a**holes - everybody had one and they all stank!

#3 Terri

Terri

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:25 PM

Yes, I'm reading it, but I honestly don't have an opinion on this. I'm too new of a diver to really feel like I've got a grasp of diving solo. I can't imagine ever diving without a dive master or instructor at this point in my diving career...but give me another 150 or more dives, and who knows...
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#4 BSG

BSG

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:36 PM

I'm an old but newly certified diver. That's why I ask for opinions. The only thing I know for sure right now is that I've signed up for an Advanced course, I want to DIVE :angel2: , and I'm going to Cozumel in May to DIVE! :twist: I really appreciate your response. Who knows what we all may decide to do in the next few weeks, months or years? :-D

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:42 PM

Tony - you left 16 minutes between your post and your follow-up. I know SD contributors are quick and incisive, but not that quick!

You're right, it has all been discussed - in about the last 6 months. Lots of people contributed views. My basic contribution is that if you need to ask the question you're not ready yet. Next time you're diving just think about all of your equipment and all the possible failure modes, and think how you'd deal with any failure. Consider how serious that would be, so how much you need to have redundancy of equipment to reduce its consequences.

Also think what makes you worried underwater, and how you cope with that feeling. Have you ever found yourself alone and not been sure where you are or what to do? The key question is how you handled that feeling - did you control it or did it take you over?

Once you've got to the stage where you can envisage things that could go wrong and how you could handle them you're a long way to becoming a solo diver. Having all the right equipment, though essential, is almost trivial by comparison.

How do you get there? By being a confident competent diver with a lot of varied experience, and by going through a formal training program with a good instructor teaching under a reputable and relevant agency.

Lots of detail to all of this, of course. And many people out there who will add greatly to what I have said. But do a search for the earlier threads - perhaps one of those nice "mods" will point the way for you!

Edited by peterbj7, 18 March 2005 - 05:44 PM.

#6 vettenorlando

vettenorlando

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:49 PM

I think its completely a personal decision. While I am very comfortable diver and could probably dive alone, I just don't think its something I want to do. I would definitely have a back up of everything... and I mean everything.... More importantly I enjoy diving with others, so I can share the experience... talk about what we saw at the surface etc. I have always enjoyed diving with others, and can't see any reason to dive alone... Heck I think thats why I am on singledivers.com in the first place. hehehe... not really interested in going alone even if I am capable.
Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! I'm going to ROATAN!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

#7 BSG

BSG

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:52 PM

Thanks, Peter. The 16 minutes was because I came back to SD after checking for e-mail nad saw over 20 readings and no responses. And please belive me. I am not the type to jump into something as critical as solo diving. Especially this early in my diving career. I am simply wondering what the feeling is about the concept. Is it really safe? I have seen some posts on other boards and honestly could not find a consensus. Perhaps I am being simplistic, but I would have thought that something this important to both the ability to enjoy our chosen sport when one desires (re: can't find a buddy to go) and ,the concept that I have had since 1969, "Never dive alone" would be more clearly delineated.

#8 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:52 PM

I do a little solo diving but, at this time, only in my side yard- a reef with a max depth of 18-20 feet. It is highly possible that I will choose to dive solo in other environments sometime in the future. That being said, I would like to add a strong caveat- solo diving is not for everyone & should not be undertaken lightly. Certainly not until a diver has aquired a certain level of proficiency, which takes time & can be quite subjective to define.

I won't give an opinion on whether or not it is safer for a trained diver to go solo than with a buddy. There are many arguments for & against that have been presented by much more well-trained & experienced divers than me. There are agencies who do provide training & certification for solo diving but, like all training, quality of instruction plays a large part in whether or not a diver is really ready to solo dive, even if a c-card is issued.

For more opinions, here's a link to an older discussion: Solo Diving
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#9 BSG

BSG

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:55 PM

I think its completely a personal decision. While I am very comfortable diver and could probably dive alone, I just don't think its something I want to do. I would definitely have a back up of everything... and I mean everything.... More importantly I enjoy diving with others, so I can share the experience... talk about what we saw at the surface etc. I have always enjoyed diving with others, and can't see any reason to dive alone... Heck I think thats why I am on singledivers.com in the first place. hehehe... not really interested in going alone even if I am capable.

That seems to be what I would consider "sound reasoning" and the next time I'm in Florida (maybe the first of October) I'll get in touch and see if you want to dive the Keys.

#10 BSG

BSG

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:00 PM

I do a little solo diving but, at this time, only in my side yard- a reef with a max depth of 18-20 feet. It is highly possible that I will choose to dive solo in other environments sometime in the future. That being said, I would like to add a strong caveat- solo diving is not for everyone & should not be undertaken lightly. Certainly not until a diver has aquired a certain level of proficiency, which takes time & can be quite subjective to define.

Another safe diver from beautiful Florida!!! I will contact you also, Marvel, when I get back to Florida. Maybe we can get a real group together and, who knows??? Find a sunken treasure ship or something equally as impressive!

#11 vettenorlando

vettenorlando

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:39 PM

Definitely give us a shout when you are in FL. I haven't dove with anyone from the board yet, but looking forward to doing so once the water is warm... yeah I know... some people think its warm now....

I agree with Marvel on all accounts. I think if I was diving in 15 - 20 ft water on a familiar reef, I wouldn't have a problem diving it alone...

I think when you goto Cozymel that you will find plenty of people to dive with. Worse case get on a boat, and I am sure the dive master will dive with you!!!

Or better yet, get on a trip that is organized through SD.com.... Then you won't have to worry about it. I am taking my first trip to Fiji with the group. Don't know a single soul, but what I do know is that I don't think I will have a problem finding someone to dive with me.

#12 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, what Peter said...
And also, we just had this as he mentioned about less than 6 months and it got pretty well hammered.. you might do a search to see what "Solo Diving" will bring up..

Believe there were 2 strongly different opinions... so bottom line is how you feel about it... when things go wrong... again as Peter mentioned.. heheh... I should just say re-read Peter's posting... LOL... when your down to 90' and you run out of air, or you drop a fin, lights go out and your bc is jammed... what would you be thinking right about then... heheheh, not that a buddy will make much of a difference...

Up here, Washington, the old buddy phrase is:
Same Ocean -
Same Day...

Good luck..
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#13 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:38 PM

Definitely give us a shout when you are in FL. I haven't dove with anyone from the board yet, but looking forward to doing so once the water is warm...

You can always take a short drive down here- we're diving every weekend now. 'Course, thre's more "surface interval" going on than diving right now. :teeth: But, I'll be doing at least 2 dives tomorrow- the reef cleanup I posted in the AM & a night dive in Boynton Beach with Splashdown Divers.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#14 vettenorlando

vettenorlando

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:02 PM

Hey Marvel,

I will definitely take you up on the invite when it gets warmer!!!! LOL I am a warm water diver and I just can't do that 67 degree water. I am thinking about coming down to Ocean Fest, and would love to do a shore dive then....

I lived down there for so long in Coral Springs and Light House point and never once dove off the shore.

#15 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:36 PM

I reread my responses in the thread that Marvel pointed to. Nothing has changed :teeth: . I am of that philosophy that "I you need to ask, then you are likely not ready."

Having said that, keeping in mind the tech divers motto "If you need it, take two! If you don't, leave it on the boat", I would recommend at a minimum that you have safety equipment so that you can be spotted if you surface. This would include a safety sausage, signal mirror and a whistle.

Two regs (via H-Valve, Pony bottle or double tanks) and the training to use that chosen configuration are recommended (by me at least). Two dive computer's/bottom timers and excellent gas management are a must. You won't have a buddy to lean on if you run out of gas and going into deco would be a real no-no here. But, if the brown stuff hits the rotating blades you had better have a way to get yourself safely out of the water. I have had a planned light deco turn into a heavy deco because I got tangled in line at 100 ft. looking at the upline. I was glad that I factored in that reserve gas. I needed every psi of it!

You should let someone know where you will be diving and when to expect you back. There are more things to think about, but this is the tip of the iceberg.

This is not something that should be done without training! But, if you want to do it properly, solo diving is not especially unsafe. You are simply trading one set of risk factors for another.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users