• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hi Matt from West Palm Beach!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 tarnis

tarnis

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:10 AM

Too cold?! :cool2:

I've been going out since early March and will admitt it's been a little chilly but maybe I'm just cold blooded. Really warmed up though last weekend, did my second(and I think my last) night dive on Friday towards my AOW as well as another dive Saterday Morning out of West Palm Beach.

Water was quite warm, especially considering it was windy and kinda chilly outside. The nightdive ...well I dunno. Did one last month and after loosing the lobster I was trying to catch to some other guy on the boat who I thought was helping me out then losing my flashlight in the process of trying to figure out what the #%@$@ just happend(lanyard rolled off my wrist, down the stick and under the reef) needless to say I couldn't even see the light finally found the rest of the group and went back up. Scarey man. This one went alittle better I guess but sucked down the tank of nitrox and hypervenilated the first time in my life when I hit the surface. Bleh...will be awhile before I go again.

Saterday's was nice though, was the longest I'd ever stayed down, saw some turtles and a barracuda. And the water was nice and toasty, I shouldn't of even bothered with the wetsuit.

Well anyways I'm rambling :D By the way my name is Matt...This would be my first post. I've got about 20 dives done so far in the last 6 or so months since I got certified. Been wanting to do a long trip, but the people in the club I go with are all old enough to almost be my grandparents. I guess that's what comes with living in Florida :) Not that it is a bad thing but wouldn't mind finding some younger people to go diving with.

Anyways see you all around!
Matt

Note: New thread created to properly welcome our newest member! Thanks -ww

Edited by WreckWench, 20 April 2004 - 02:52 PM.

#2 coppermaus

coppermaus

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:24 AM

Hey Matt. Why don't you post an intro in the New to SD.com forum, so everyone can find it and say howdy?

:cool2:
coppermaus

#3 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:58 AM

The nightdive ...well I dunno. Did one last month and after loosing the lobster I was trying to catch to some other guy on the boat who I thought was helping me out then losing my flashlight in the process of trying to figure out what the #%@$@ just happend(lanyard rolled off my wrist, down the stick and under the reef) needless to say I couldn't even see the light finally found the rest of the group and went back up. Scarey man. This one went alittle better I guess but sucked down the tank of nitrox and hypervenilated the first time in my life when I hit the surface. Bleh...will be awhile before I go again.

Hi Matt!

Sorry to hear that your first night dive didn't go well last month.
Two things:
1) redundant equipment. Most divers carry a spare flashlight (sometimes two!), spare knife or shears and plenty of other "spare" stuff. Sometimes it's overkill but some redundancy makes sense.

2) Where was your buddy??

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#4 tarnis

tarnis

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:50 PM

Second time around I had a spare, the one I lost was something a friend loaned me and needed to buy another one for him. As for my buddy I lost her on the way down and never quite found her again. But was with the rest of the group so wasn't totally worried about it. Saw the lobster within the first few minutes of looking around for her and really wasn't messing with it too long(or planning on messing with it much longer) before I lost the light. Darned thing was just so big I couldn't not try, and had never seen one before.

Smartened up the second time around, read the AOW book and bought a spare as it said.

Edited by tarnis, 20 April 2004 - 01:52 PM.

#5 mischievous

mischievous

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 20 April 2004 - 02:22 PM

hey matt...welcome to the board. seems like everyone's already looking out for you!

#6 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 20 April 2004 - 02:35 PM

Hi there Matt! Great to have you here. That's a beautiful area you live in, by the way. My mom and stepdad used to live right up the road in Stuart and my stepdad worked in West Palm.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#7 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:30 PM

:o officially Matt!!
Good to see another local diver on the board. :respect:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#8 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:58 PM

:respect: tarnis...glad you stopped by and hope that you will call this home. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that are ready and willing to help in anyway, all you have to is ask.

Don't forget to take a look at our website at SingleDivers.com. We are constantly upgrading and would love to see you on one of our upcoming trips.

Again, welcome to our little place on the net where having fun is what it is all about.

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#9 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:17 PM

:respect: Matt,

Welcome to the Board!

WG

#10 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:57 PM

Howdy Matt! :hiya:

:-D Welcome to the fun bunch!!

don
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#11 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:28 PM

Welcome Matt :-D
I love your intro !!!

but the people in the club I go with are all old enough to almost be my grandparents. I guess that's what comes with living in Florida 

I think my sister which is my ex-wife now is your long lost granny Sibel LoL.

Where the fun ones Glad you swam in :hiya:

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:18 PM

Hi Matt!!!

So I'm the one that moved your post so that we ALL could say hello to you!!! Glad you found us....we certainly ain't the geriatric crowd your dive club consists of!! I hope you'll join us on one of our many trips we have planned including Bonaire in June 13-20 or some wreck and sharkdiving in NC ...or someplace else exotic!

Jump right in and keep posting...make new friends...let us know if we can do anything to make your experinece better and WELCOME!!!

-Wreck Wench

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#13 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:45 AM

Welcome to the board Matt, Always glad to see another smiling face and diver..

Dejah

#14 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:33 AM

Welcome Matt!!!
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#15 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:01 PM

so give us the low down on what "tarnis" means.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users