• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Have gear, will travel...?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mischievous

mischievous

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:15 PM

okay...so diving in nearby lakes or diving out of your own back yard makes gear transportation relatively easy because your car becomes your storage locker. what does everyone normally take and what container does it all fit in when you decide to fly? specialty and non-specialty diving recommendations are equally appreciated.

#2 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:33 PM

okay...so diving in nearby lakes or diving out of your own back yard makes gear transportation relatively easy because your car becomes your storage locker. what does everyone normally take and what container does it all fit in when you decide to fly? specialty and non-specialty diving recommendations are equally appreciated.

Waiting for responses on this on 'Chie- I would be interested in knowing how the "pro" around here do it. I might just stuff my gear bag in a large piece of rollaway luggage that I own should the need ever arise. :respect:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#3 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:13 PM

Since I frequently have to fly to dive destinations for my work, I have some experience with this issue... although I doubt mine are the most elegant solutions to the problem.

First, one must consider destination, air carrier and weight restrictions. On some flights I have practically no weight limit to be worried about, on others it can be a bit restrictive.

I usually travel with three primary items: Pelican case with videocamera and housing (heavy, 35-40#), dive gear bag (since most of my diving is warm-water this tends to be fairly light, 20-25#) and backpack for clothes and other stuff (40-60#). My trips tend to be for 3-8 weeks, and I rarely have good laundry facilities available, so I pack a "lot" of clothes (mostly lightweight hand-washable stuff).

The dive bag is actually a soft bag (not a normal practice), but I pack it well and pad it with extra clothes if necessary.

I take the Pelican case as my carry on since it is the heaviest. Of course this usually necessitates a full inspection since airport security thinks I've got a bomb (damned thing even tested positive for explosives twice).

I check the dive equipment including reg since I am insured in case of loss and I can either rent gear at my destination, or the shup I work on has dive gear for me. For most divers this may be more critical, and in the absence of camera equipment I would carry regs, etc., on board.

My trips are not necessary standard for many traveling divers so your mileage may vary... quite a bit!

Dr. B.

Edited by drbill, 20 April 2004 - 04:15 PM.

#4 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:24 PM

When dragging stuff out of the backseat just won't do I carry half of it in a plastic box which used to house my video stuff. The fins, BP, wing, small light, 3mm shorty, booties, light gloves, combination lock, mask and snorkle all fit in well. The rest goes into a backpack which is carry on size. This way the regs, still camera, computer, big light, C-card and one set of clothes will be with me. The only other piece of baggage is my suticase of clothes. This works great for me with the pack on my back and the plastic box on top of the rolling suitcase. All the high dollar stuff is with me at all times.

Dave
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#5 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:25 PM

(damned thing even tested positive for explosives twice)

:respect:

#6 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:29 PM

So far when travelling I've managed to get my BC, masks, snorkel, and Regs into a carry on, so that it stays in my sight. The rest goes in the checked luggage. I figure it this way, if the luggage gets lost (knock on wood that it doesn't happen), I can always purchase/rent those items I need when I reach my destination.

WG

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:58 PM

Mischievous- I wasn't kidding about the darned housing testing positive twice for explosives! I was detained and nearly missed one of the planes because of it. The security guard looked especially worried when I picked up the housing, pointed it at him, and tried to explain (in English) that it was used for underwater videography. The look on his face was priceless.

Dr. B.

#8 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:01 PM

Well, first I pull absolutely essential items from my Save a Dive kit. Toss a few tools in my luggage with my clothes.

Next, my backpack gets packed as carry on luggage. What goes in there are the most important items. If push comes to shove, I can always rent the rest of the gear. In my backpack goes my Jet Fins with my mask in one foot pocket and mu back up computer in the other foot pocket. Next, I curl my regulator in the pack. Boots fit inside the circle formed by the reg. My logbook is never checked, it goes in the pack along with what ever book I'm reading at the time and the next two I'm planning to read (waiting in airports aren't so bad with a good book). I also slide my hip flask in the pack.

BC, sausage, reel, wet suit (if going someplace cold - dry suit if going someplace colder), and snorkel all get packed in my checked luggage.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#9 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:41 PM

"...since airport security thinks I've got a bomb..."

But never, ever use the B word. "What, do you think I have a bomb or what?" You will be detained much longer!! The TSA does not allow employees to have a sense of humor, and foreign security guards - well, they're just looking for excuses! It also helps if you don't haul lawn fertilizer in the same Pelican case. :-D

If you're new to diving, gal, you won't be at the weight risks of some of us, but after a couple of years of adding must-haves, it gets more challenging. My regular airline allows me up to 70# per bag domestic because I've done so much with them, and international flights allow 70#, but if I ever get hit with the 50# limits - it's going to hurt.

So for me:

(1) Everything I think I might need, plus twice as many clothes as I ever wear, go into 2 large Armor bags - one designed to hold 2 pair of fins, and one a duffel as big as allowed by airlines for length, width, height. I stay with the bags until it gets to TSA, whereupon I ask the agent to be sure and secure my bags with their nylon ties, since we cannot lock them. (Don't get me started on TSA approved locks.) If possible, I watch until he does add the ties.

(2) All the clothes I'll need for the first 24 hours go in a rolling carry-on, with my reg, mask, 2 computers, and camera. I always carry a windbreaker type coat with hood, from Sept 1 to June 1 - year 'round if going to the Pacific. I know that I'll have to gate-check it on some flights, so I carry a luggage lock and lock it once inside security; that's allowed!

(3) One of my hypochondriac bags and all personal items I like to have close go into a small backpack - my "flight purse"; put your purse inside one of these if you carry one.

Return from out of country is a little different. (a) You have to supply your own nylon ties, and (b) empty all liquids from containers!

And I tie lots and lots of colored ribbons to each bag, to make them easy to spot or describe to a lost-luggage agent - especially the bag that may get gate checked, as people just grab them and run when they get off of the plane.

And take trip insurance, especially for international flights, for lots of reasons - like the $9.07 per pound liability limit for lost luggage, jury duty, injury not dive related, family problems, delays, etc.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#10 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:37 PM

Regulator, computer, c card, swimsuit, t shirt, pair of shorts, toothbrush go in carryon. It used to be that the rest of the carryon space was filled with lecture slides, but now I just carry a jumpdrive and go LCD. I decided after lugging a couple of versions of dive bags through airports that bags with wheels is the way to go. I have met you, mischevious, and even with your disposition, I would not recommend that you get a dive bag with shoulder straps. Too damn heavy.
On the way back, as much as will fit goes in checked baggage, to make room for booze and other souveneur stuff in the carryon.
Diving; My zen space.

#11 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:51 PM

I went to Walmart and bought for 59 bucks a three piece travel bag with wheels. I use the big bag for most of my dive gear and the smaller bags for camera, save a dive stuff and the smallest bag for my mask. then I have another bag for personal stuff. Mischievous your personal bag should have a few Bikini's and maybe some sweat pants and sun tan lotion what else would you need ?
:-D

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#12 CuriousMe

CuriousMe

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:46 PM

The good Lord certainly has a sense of humor.....one of the things that I dislike most in the world is packing....I of course have a job that sometimes makes me pack up everything I own every two months and move to an identical small room in a different part of the world. :-D

I'll only give you the diving part of my packing ordeal ;) Due to weight restrictions on the airlines....I have a somewhat odd strategy. I put as much of my heavy things in my carry on, since they don't weigh my carry on :) So, my carry on is split between things I don't want to get hurt and things that are really heavy.

So...my reg (with computer), my camera in it's housing (with the o-ring removed), and my dive lights go along with any liquid toiletries I have (in two zip lock bags), and big books and such. The rest goes into my regular suitcase, generally split between the two bags. I have a mesh backpack that everything goes into once I'm on the ship.

Yes, they inspect my bag each and everytime....but they would anyway. I am randomly selected every single time I travel for work. Since my company generally buys my plane ticket a day or so before I fly, and I'm always traveling one way....the only way I could be a bigger red flag would be if they paid for the ticket with cash :hiya: So, I just get used to getting pulled aside and everything getting inspected.

Peace,
Cathie
"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way."

He Went to Paris, Jimmy Buffett

DeColores

#13 bandit

bandit

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:35 AM

I have a Lowe Pro backpack that takes the camera, housing, flash, batteries, chargers, and disk drive, along with my primary reg and mask. I can usually make that my 'personal' item and get on with a roll aboard as well. Sometimes the roll aboard gets gate checked. In it I have clothes, books, etc. Finally I have a duffle that takes fins, BP and wings, lights, another reg, and all the other dive clutter. Then all the other space gets stuffed with food and such. The duffle sits on top of the roll aboard for walking and I wear the backpack. Works ok. For a live aboard, it's the backpack and duffle only.
Beatings for the crew will continue until moral improves...

#14 sunlover

sunlover

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Logged Dives:366

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:19 AM

Hi all, this is my first post. I just found out about singledivers.com. Mischievous, we are lucky to live in Dallas since we have access to so many charter flights to Caribbean dive destinations. In my dive travels I have found that n/s charter flights (i.e. Dallas to Cozumel) are the easiest to pack for because loss of your checked luggage is less likely. When I pack for a weekend (Fri-Mon) trip to Cozumel I have three bags:' my pelican 'locker' for my dive gear (which I check), a small rolling soft-sided bag (which is small enough to carry-on) for clothes, etc (which I check), and small carry-on bag for my regulator and computer, and a magazine/newspaper to read on the fight. Now, packing for a commercial flight with plane changes to a far-off destination is a totally different matter and requires a different "strategy". Since I’m tried of typing I vote you just take charter flights to Cozumel for a while. T.R.

<Edited by Walter - Please unlock your caps>

#15 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:37 AM

so far, definately great advice. thanks team! you're the best! or...hmmm...all ya'll....looks weird when typing, but i'm sure it comes out of my mouth at times.

NP-tell me about it. my dive shoulder bag with the BC is a b**** to lug around; although i have had many nice non-diving boys offer to help me out with carrying it! :angel2: divers won't...they know better. girl's got to carry what she packs my momma always says.

b2b... bikinis are too much trouble. hard to wear because they keep falling off...<sigh>....especially underwater (too bad my last one piece is lost somewhere in my closet...so bikinis it is for the summer). i'm sure the ladies will agree with me...more effort than two scraps of cloth are worth.

my goodness CM...either packing must drive you nuts or you've got to be a pro at it now! are you sure you're not telling us something about your job...one way tickets indeed. uh huh....the jury's out on that one.

sunlover...welcome to the board! don't forget to post a blurb in the introduction forum so we can all get the chance to meander on your topic. charters to the caribbean...nice! you'll have to share your memorable dives (out of the hundreds that you have) and pics with us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users