• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Have gear, will travel...?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:52 AM

okay...so diving in nearby lakes or diving out of your own back yard makes gear transportation relatively easy because your car becomes your storage locker. what does everyone normally take and what container does it all fit in when you decide to fly? specialty and non-specialty diving recommendations are equally appreciated.

Mischievous, "because your car becomes your storage locker" might not be a good idea in Texas, that heat might do in your dive computer and the glue in your wetsuit, you don't want that falling off too! :-D
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#17 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:54 AM

... My logbook is never checked, it goes in the pack ...

Ouch ... boy did I learn this one the hard way. Lost a bag on a flight about a year ago and you guessed it, my log was in it.

Great topic, by the way. And thanks to everyone for all the outstanding suggestions.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#18 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:00 PM

i've wondered about that too, LA. gear's meant to be outdoors with (hopefully) the sun beating down on it, so i guess just need to take it out of my car so it won't fry. that's why i have the shoulder bag initially...but i was clueless about traveling with my gear. when you go on board after reaching said destination, then is everything back in a bag or does it stay in the rolling suitcase thingy?

#19 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:49 PM

Shoulder bag? Honey you don't own enough gear! :-D I carry my mesh bag in a military duffle bag, you don't want anything with dive flags on it for the airlines to see. When I get to a liveaboard I leave the mesh bag on deck and stow the duffle below. Most liveaboards don't have room for wheeled luggage, if your car is parked at the dock you might want to empty your wheeled luggage onboard and then stow your luggage back in the car.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

Signed and Dated

#20 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:53 PM

BTW, my daughter left her gear out in the yard to dry in WPB and the Mares fins lost most of their color, she baked her old pink fins in the trunk and they molded to a useless shape.

Signed and Dated

#21 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:54 PM

i've used a military duffle before for a wedding in seattle...learned to keep all my bikinis contained in a carry-on from then on regardless of the vacation length. i'm guessing it's better to be able to fold everything up for storage (i'm really a blonde and slow at times :-D ). i thought airlines don't like soft check-in stuff.

#22 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:09 PM

After you put 65 pounds of gear in it it isn't soft! :fish2:

Signed and Dated

#23 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:00 PM

Baggage. it's a tough one. 7-day trip?

Carry on
1 - Small regulator shoulder hand bag. - book, water, snacks, lite jacket (Seattle) anything else I'll need for the flight and waiting, Tie straps as needed
2 - Wheeled carry on - 8 t-shirts, 2 shorts (covert to long), 1 long, bathroom stuff, cameras (carry these to keep them safe and from damage), Storage disk, reg, computer setup, SW Radio, clocks etc - enough to get by in the worst case scenario

Check in:
1 - main bag, was using those huge Pelican, now, too heavy, heck they weight about the same as the limits 50#? dive gear, and maybe camera stuff if able (see bag 2), Seriously going to change to a new soft roll on.. saw one the other day that looked perfect.

2 - Pelican (for sure) - Camera housings, strobes, recharges, memory cards, repair kits (aka Hammer :cool1: ) and anything else Photo related. It's foam cut padded. I keep the actually camera(s) with Carryon 2.

I'm sure I've forgotten a huge area, but basically, diving tropical, I've found you just hang out in t-shirts and shorts or swim trunks (to put NEXT to the pool?? - just joking) and something to hike in or keep bugs off. Then just rinse or wash out each night for the day after if needed.

I haven't been out since 9-11 so not sure what I'll change, but the biggest item was junking the Huge Pelican due to it weights too much and at 50#, it's tight. I pad thing with clothes etc.

Well, I think that's all...

At home I work with Plastic tubs, and they're great. One for Dive gear, one for dry stuff (undergarment, 'Dry' Dry Suit and dive lites and stuff) and a Plastic mike crate works perfectly for the camera - pad it with bubble wrap... and use a Dolly to truck it around...

Hope that helps..
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#24 CuriousMe

CuriousMe

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:14 PM

so far, definately great advice. thanks team! you're the best! or...hmmm...all ya'll....looks weird when typing, but i'm sure it comes out of my mouth at times.

NP-tell me about it. my dive shoulder bag with the BC is a b**** to lug around; although i have had many nice non-diving boys offer to help me out with carrying it! :cool1: divers won't...they know better. girl's got to carry what she packs my momma always says.

b2b... bikinis are too much trouble. hard to wear because they keep falling off...<sigh>....especially underwater (too bad my last one piece is lost somewhere in my closet...so bikinis it is for the summer). i'm sure the ladies will agree with me...more effort than two scraps of cloth are worth.

my goodness CM...either packing must drive you nuts or you've got to be a pro at it now! are you sure you're not telling us something about your job...one way tickets indeed. uh huh....the jury's out on that one.

sunlover...welcome to the board! don't forget to post a blurb in the introduction forum so we can all get the chance to meander on your topic. charters to the caribbean...nice! you'll have to share your memorable dives (out of the hundreds that you have) and pics with us.

After my stint living in Georgia....I'm afraid that all y'all comes out of my mouth far to often. :D

Packing does make me crazy.....but I am pretty good at it by now as well. The one way tickets are kinda unavoidable....that whole flying there to meet the ship thing. :D

With my style of packing....my carry on gets realllllly heavy. I always feel kinda bad when some poor unsuspecting nice guy tries to pick up my bag and put it in the over head :D

Although I must admit that the look on their face is pretty priceless :teeth:

Peace,
Cathie
"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way."

He Went to Paris, Jimmy Buffett

DeColores

#25 jeadiver

jeadiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:36 AM

Like B2B I went to Walmart and bought a large rolling bag for about $50 to pack my dive gear in so it wouldn't be flying around the 3rd world with a Dive-Down flag advertising its contents. Most of my gear goes into this bag and it is checked. Like Dr. Bill, I have dive equipment insurance so I figure if it gets lost I will simply buy/rent what I need and hassle with the repayment later. However, my carry on bags always has enough clothes for two days (usually shorts and tees, so its not much space), toiletries, medicines, regulator, computers, mask and log book. I just use a small point and shoot housed system so I don't worry too much about the camera and just pack it with the checked stuff and use extra clothing and neoprene for padding.

By the way, I looked up y'all in the dictionary and mine must be defective. It didn't even list it. Do all y'all have the same problem?

Edited by jeadiver, 22 April 2004 - 06:37 AM.

#26 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:26 AM

Just a note, I don't see the "Edit" capability on my posted messages..
Once it's posted, there's no "Edit" showing to go back and correct the "Sepelng" :D "Allow member to Edit" check box??

Hmmm.... now it shows on this one.. never mind... :wavey:

Edited by fbp, 22 April 2004 - 07:27 AM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#27 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:35 AM

Actually, you have 60 minutes to edit your own posts. After 60 minutes, you'll have to be very good to Whips & Chains for an edit.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#28 cyclingmike31

cyclingmike31

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:53 PM

Depening on the airline and carry on restrictions, I modify what and how I pack to meet weight and size restrictions.

Carry on is a backpack with primary and backup regs and dive computers packed in a seperate reg bag. Log Book, mask, tolietries case in a ziplock bag, i-Pod, digicam housing with camera inside it with o-ring removed.

First checked bag is a rolling duffel with compression straps. I put in my BC, fins, save a dive kit, spare masks, wetsuit and any other items that I remember. Toss it all in and cinch it down using compression straps. That way, luggage handlers can toss the duffel without shifting the contents of the bag.

Second checked bag is a rolling 21" bag. All of my clothes go in this bag for the trip.

When running through the airport I tie the handle of the rolling duffel to my rolling 21" bag and pull them both at once. That allows me to move all of my gear at once and do it very quickly if you need to run for a flight

At the end of the trip, I add souviners and move clothes to the dive bag for the trip home. And i don't carry my mask with me on the way home.

-Michael
-Michael
AKA - Charlie ...The Keeper of the Angels and the SD Photo guy on trips

If you are Single or Buddyless and looking to dive with other single divers, visit us at http://www.singledivers.com.

#29 mcm007

mcm007

Getting started

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Cert Level:OW Diver
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:04 PM

I have a divemaster bag for my mask/fins and snorkel (just big enough for my ScubaPro twin Jets) and anti fog juice

i have a padded gator bag for my prized reg. and octo.

I have a nice Eddie Bauer mesh duffle bag that ive had for years for my wetsuit, boots, gloves and a cool little dry bag for my towel. I am looking at the akona bags though , they seem nice..

both bags are great for travel and easy to sling over your shoulder and to keep an eye on.. plus you need 'em to store your dry clothes...

:D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users