• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Houston Happy Hour #3 '05

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:10 AM

Thanks to all who attended Houston's Happy Hour #3. At my last count, there were 41 people. However, I wasn't the last one standing so I don't know if more joined after I left.

A few highlights:

- A number of divers came in from out of town to help with SeaSpace - also going on this weekend. Several of them joined our happy hour.... and I'm so glad they did! They were a lot of fun - hopefully they'll be willing to return even if there's not a dive show to attend! A few that joined us from out of town: Chief, Dustbowl Diver, Tdtexas, wreckWench, FinGrabber, Trimix2dive, Narwhal, Austinbrunette... am I leaving anyone out?
- Lisa (texas_gal?) showed us why she is a competition level dancer, giving latin dance (salsa, merengue, etc.) lessons to us. I think I may have pulled a hip muscle trying to immitate her hip flips during the moves.
- We celebrated WW's birthday. We were afraid we'd need a fire extinguisher to put out the flames as the result of all of the candles on that cake... but it sure was yummy!
- Dustbowl Diver was the first to pull up a chair and get in line to offer bday spankings.... if I recall correctly, the words were "come to daddy"... hhhmmmm..... wonder what he meant by that?
- we gave out a number of door prizes from Oceanic Ventures dive shop (in Houston), from our very own chriscdiver (who owns a rig dive charter outfit in Galveston), fishclips, and SD.
- I was most impressed by the men who risked their masculinity and gave dancing a shot. I think Trimix is more of a Saturday Night Fever dancer than a Havana Nights dancer, but perhaps I wasn't standing at the right vantage point throughout the evening.
- I was very well behaved and received a gold star for ... oh wait... wrong post...

Thanks to Scubapunk for supplying the yummy cake.
Thanks to Julio for arranging an interesting venue.

Pics to come once scubapunk and I have had a chance to edit the ones that we don't feel flatter us most (kidding...well... sort of). Looking forward to additional comments from others who attended.

LOOK FOR HHH#4 INFO. TO BE POSTED SOON. IT WILL BE A SHORT HH DURING THE WEEK (PROB. A TUES. or THURS. FROM 6-9) AT LITTLE WOODROWS (a totally casual sports type bar) ON W. ALABAMA. If you have any thoughts about these plans, please include them in this post to help us plan!

Edited by TheSassyRabbit, 06 June 2005 - 06:58 AM.

#2 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 07 June 2005 - 12:48 PM

this happy hour was a blast!!

the venue was great, the company was fantastic; and it was WW's birthday :welcome:

I haven't had that much fun in a long time

I'll be back for another one, that is for sure!

#3 tdtexas

tdtexas

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:152 Bluewater, not counting lake/quarry dives

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for putting on a great happy hour. It was good to meet everyone down there. :D

Now I just hope I get my eyebrows back from the INTENSE HEAT from the cake! :diver:
Live Life To The Fullest, ARE YOU WITH ME!!!!!!!

Tom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
No, his mind is not for rent to any god or govement. Alway hopeful yet discontent. He knows changes are never permanent, but change is.

N. Peart

#4 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:45 PM

Now I just hope I get my eyebrows back from the INTENSE HEAT from the cake!  :diver:

I think WW looks quite becoming for a mature woman of the age of 72.

With that many candles on the cake it is not suprising that the cake icing on some parts of the cake were reduced back to more of a glaze.

Good time had by all, good job Houston contingentcy.

Did this poor white boy with no rythem really look like a 70's throwback. :D
Oh well, I gave everyone plenty of advanced warning.

Edited by Trimix2dive, 07 June 2005 - 05:46 PM.

#5 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:52 PM

and the funny thing is that she managed to blow out all 72 of those candles with 1 breath!

no wonder WW stays underwater so long... she doesn't breathe! :lmao:

#6 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:08 PM

I would also like to thank the 3 or 4 nearly professional dancers that were there at the happy hour on Saturday night.

I had not till that night had my phobia and loathsome self image of dancing very poorly in front a public audience reinforced in quite a long time. You have helped me push it back to the forefront where as well reinforced deservedly belongs.

Somethings you forget. But when the proper time and opportunity arises, a teacher will appear to remind the student. For that you have my thanks and deepest appreciation.

:lmao:

#7 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:20 PM

LATE!!!

A good time was had by all!!! Well, almost by all?

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#8 texasgal77469

texasgal77469

Getting started

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:44 AM

Hi Guys,

I must say that it was very brave of those that tried the salsa moves out at Havanna -- and Katie, I hope your hips are all right.

Salsa is a very tricky dance when it comes to the hip movements -- it took me six months of classes before I got it down right. For those of you who don't already know, I have been dancing since the age of 3, so some of this comes pretty natural to me.

Mitch and I were discussing the possibility of us having a Happy Hour out at Wild West -- and here's the best part -- IT'S FREE!! :birthday:

NO COVER!! (well, you know what I mean) - FREE FAJITA BUFFET FROM 6-8 (and yes, it's pretty good food) - PLUS ONE FREE DRINK TICKET (which must be used before 9:00). Also, the Wild West has free beginner country & western dance lessons every Sunday evening from 4:30 - 6:00.

Let me and Mitch know if the group would be interested and we'll get this set up for a future Happy Hour Party!!

Lisa
:birthday:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users