• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SCUBA Friendly Vehicles

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Kawika

Kawika

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Open Water & Enriched Air Diver
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:53 PM

Alright Folks...

I am considering ditching my little Honda Accord in favor of a more SCUBA friendly vehicle. At the moment I am considering between a Toyota Tacoma (XtraCab or DoubleCab) or a Toyota 4Runner. Are there any particular pros & cons between either a pick up truck or SUV? And should I even be worried about picking up a truck with 4 wheel drive? My main concern will be using the truck to make some trips in and around Texas over the next few years. The only real pro I can think of for an SUV over a pick up truck is in case I want to store my equipment while I am away from the vehicle for an extended period of time...and that would only come into play if I had several divers with me because I could probably store 1-2 divers equipment in the cab with an XtraCab or DoubleCab set up. Let me know if anyone has any wisdom to shed on this subject...

Thanks...

Kawika
Kawika Iida
Sugar Land, TX
Christian
United States Military Academy Class of 1995 "With Honor We Strive..." F1/F4
"Do not go where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."

Anyone looking to rent a room in Sugar Land, TX?

#2 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:04 PM

I own a Toyota Highlander, and it's well worth it! I like the SUV better then a pickup truck.
Sempar Partus!!

#3 Perkolater

Perkolater

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:28

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:05 PM

Not sure exactly what interests you, but you may want to consider a Honda Ridgeline.

It is a quad cab pickup with a lockable storage compartment under the truck bed. Very nice vehicle. Only drawback is this is the first model year and I have been burned twice in the past by buying first model year vehicles.

But if you are at all interested in a full size truck with some SUV qualities it may be worth at least looking at.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!!"

#4 Kawika

Kawika

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:10 PM

Due to finances...I have to stick to used vehicles...which is why I settled on a Toyota...and for the money I am looking to spend $10K-12K...the Tacoma & 4Runner seem to give me the best bang for the buck...I just need to figure out if I would prefer a SUV or pick up truck.

K
Kawika Iida
Sugar Land, TX
Christian
"Do not go where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."

#5 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:17 PM

Alright Folks...

I am considering ditching my little Honda Accord in favor of a more SCUBA friendly vehicle. At the moment I am considering between a Toyota Tacoma (XtraCab or DoubleCab) or a Toyota 4Runner. Are there any particular pros & cons between either a pick up truck or SUV? And should I even be worried about picking up a truck with 4 wheel drive? My main concern will be using the truck to make some trips in and around Texas over the next few years. The only real pro I can think of for an SUV over a pick up truck is in case I want to store my equipment while I am away from the vehicle for an extended period of time...and that would only come into play if I had several divers with me because I could probably store 1-2 divers equipment in the cab with an XtraCab or DoubleCab set up. Let me know if anyone has any wisdom to shed on this subject...

Thanks...

Kawika

I use a pickup. I can't do w/o the tailgate for gearing up. Save a thousand or so bucks by NOT getting 4X4. Unless you're going to use it a lot off-road and/or dirt roads, what do you really need it for? Use the money you save to buy a canopy (or "topper" as they're called in other parts of the country) to secure your gear.

That's a 97 Mazda B2300 p/u. Canopy was an additional $300. If I had my druthers (and more money), I would get the xtra cab. I've owned two Mazda p/u's. I don't really prefer Mazda over other makes, it was just coincidental that they both happened to be what I was looking for, and they both happened to be Mazda's.

Attached Images

• greg_g_1.jpg

Edited by Brinybay, 13 January 2007 - 12:06 AM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#6 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:29 PM

If you go for a pickup get a cover or bed toolbox so you can lock up the gear when you are away from the vehicle. I love my Amigo but it's imposible to secure.
Don't buy 4wd unless you are actually going to use it, it will cost you more than just gas, the extra weight, transfer box, drive shafts, locking hubs and skid plates all up the repair cost.
Since you are looking at used stuff how about a Ford Explorer Sport Trac, four doors and a plastic pickup bed so you don't need to worry about your salty gear rusting the bed away. Many small station wagons are fine for hauling two sets of gear also with Rubbermaid tubs to catch the drips.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#7 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:42 PM

While we're on the subject, there's a company somewhere in the Midwest that makes a product called "Tilt-A-Top". What it does is makes your p/u canopy tilt up from the side, making it much easier to get at gear. I saw one once in this neck of the woods on another divers p/u at a dive shop, I wrote the number and address down but have since lost it. I've Googled it up, down, sideways and can't find it. Apparently the company isn't internet savvy. Anybody know of contact info for this company and product, I would like to have it. Thanks!
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#8 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:42 PM

The UDV (Ultimate Dive Vehicle) is the Honda Element, extraordinary durability and reliablility, good economy, inside can be hosed out (drain holes throughout), 4WD and you can sleep in it with ease (and it is cool looking). Can't really tow anything in it--that's why I'm buying a BOT (Big Ole Truck).
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#9 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:50 PM

I have a 2003 4 Runner. I love it. As everyone has said, unless you are actually going to use the 4WD option, don't waste your money. Not only does it cost more initially, the vehicle will use more gas and insurance will be more as well. The insurance company will assume you are going off road and you are more at risk in damaging your vehicle. I can gear up on the back with the rear door up. It works very well and I can lock up the vehicle. If you get the optional cover for the back, you can also hide everything that is in the back (to a degree).
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#10 flatwood

flatwood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:open water, Nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:100 plus

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:53 PM

I bought a yukon for my dive vehicle and have been satisfied with it. I had a GMC truck but I couldn't stand the thought of stopping at a store and returning to find that I no longer had any dive gear.
I've got 99 problems and diving ain't one of them.

#11 Kawika

Kawika

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:14 PM

I know Toyotas are fairly legendary for the mileage they can go through before having problems...but has anyone got a good idea how high that threshold should be? I've seen a lot of Toyotas on sale that have mileage over 230K. Most of the vehicles I am looking at right now are right around 120K miles...which puts me in the lower $9K-$10K range. How many miles do you have on your 4Runner Dennis?

K
Kawika Iida
Sugar Land, TX
Christian

#12 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:16 PM

I drive an S-10 Ext. Cab. Great for diving as I can throw my wet stuff in the bed and be on the road (to McDonald's) in minutes. The main drawback, as you already figured out, is securing gear. An extended cab is not big enough to store gear in, particularly more than one person. I mainly put just my regulator and maybe my BC in the cab.

I don't have 4WD, or a V-6 (I was cheap and got the '4 banger'). I'd highly recommend getting the bigger engine if you have the option. I've never needed 4WD. At least not for diving...coulda used it a few times in the winter :o

I'd also recommend getting a 'topper'. There are some manufacturers that make utility toppers (large side windows). One of our instructors has that on his truck...very handy.

The other drawback of a truck is limited seating capacity (unless you get a crew cab).

#13 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:38 PM

I am driving my third Tacoma. The first two I traded off after I had put 149,000 on one and the other 143,000. They both ran great, only minor up keep and still ran great when I got rid of them. First two were 4cylinders, the one I have now is the V6. They were all 4wd, but I live in MN. The ride isn't the best, small truck bounce, but I am always confident I will get to where I am going. I also put toppers on all of them, it blocks a little of your vision, but you keep your stuff out of the weather and out of sight and locked when you are parked some where. All three have been extended cabs. I wouldn't recommend an adult sitting in the back for much of a distance, but the extra room is nice.

MNJoe

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#14 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:34 PM

1996 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab Duelly Disel Pick-up with Commercial Grade Suspension in the rear, holds up to 4800 pounds of dive gear in the bed.

:angel2: Now were talkin dive vehicle gentlemen.

#15 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:45 PM

I know Toyotas are fairly legendary for the mileage they can go through before having problems...but has anyone got a good idea how high that threshold should be? I've seen a lot of Toyotas on sale that have mileage over 230K. Most of the vehicles I am looking at right now are right around 120K miles...which puts me in the lower $9K-$10K range. How many miles do you have on your 4Runner Dennis?

K

I believe I have about 44K miles on my 4 runner. I drive 70 miles every day, 35 each way to work and back plus the weekends, etc. Remember, this car is almost 2 years old, so I put a lot of miles on it. I bought it in August 2003, it had less than 40 miles when I got it.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users