• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Emily and Utila

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:32 AM

Isn't looking too good for my R.E.E.F. Utila trip... :(
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#2 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:46 AM

So, Dennis, what direction are we supposed to project to Emily to get her diverted? I swear it worked last week-end.

Que :(

#3 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:12 AM

She's supposed to head N/W, but I don't wish another hurricane on Cuba and Florida.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#4 flatwood

flatwood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:open water, Nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:100 plus

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:53 AM

So, Dennis, what direction are we supposed to project to Emily to get her diverted? I swear it worked last week-end.

Que :thankyou:

Well, make it go somewhere else. I'm going to bonaire in a couple of weeks :dltears:
I've got 99 problems and diving ain't one of them.

#5 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:54 PM

I am heading to NC on Saturday. Can't emily just decide to fizzle out where she is today???? I know wishful thinking!!!

Which end is up?

#6 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:01 AM

Isn't looking too good for my R.E.E.F. Utila trip... :teeth:

Dennis, when are you going to Utila? Let's hope Emily stays far away from Honduras. That bastard Mitch is still a recent memory.

Have you seen my topside photos (and travel journal) from Utila? Check out my site if not (link in signature).

#7 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 05:26 AM

Hi, Mike, latest projections put her making landfall right at Cozumel sometime Monday although she is continuing to turn north and could miss Coz altogether. If everything stays the way it is now we may get some weather in Honduras, but should be o.k.

I get there on this Saturday.

I'll be sure and check out your pics! Thanks!

Dennis

#8 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:54 AM

Be sure to drink a Salva Vida (or two) at Tranquila Bar! (oh, and this time of year, hope you see whale sharks! we expect a full dive report) Where are you staying?

#9 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:22 AM

Deep Blue Utila. REEF got a good package price.

#10 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:37 AM

Deep Blue Utila. REEF got a good package price.

Cool! I dived with Deep Blue! Didn't stay with them, but stayed in the ultra-cheap Hotel Rose right across from their dive shop, so I chose my dive shop based on proximity/convenience and did my dives with them. If you get the same DMs, you'll have a good time (though they were a little overly cautious for my taste, mostly because they were doing some OW certs for new divers onboard the dive boat). Can't remember their names, but I mentioned them (and the sites I dove) by name in my travel journal (see "Not of This World" under "Honduras" on my site).

#11 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:18 AM

Those were some cool pics. Thanks for telling me about them. I particularly liked the "typical Utila street". With just a little more luck, we should get little more than some wind and rain for a day or two. With very little floor visible in my living room right now with gear covering the bulk of it, I'm in that highly satisfying "packing" stage.
:welcome:

#12 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:05 AM

Emily's not going anywhere near the Bay Islands. We're preparing to evacuate our dive center in northern Belize as last night she looked to be heading directly at Cozumel, though on current predictions she may even miss the northern tip of the Yucatan. SW-Cuba and Cancun/Cozumel are the places you should be praying for. We're still expecting big waves so whatever happens we're shutting shop and moving the boats away for a couple of days.

#13 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:27 AM

Yep, Coz and Cancun are probably in for it. My prayers are with you and yours, Peter.

#14 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:34 PM

The NHC of NOAA currently expects it to go more over Cancun than Cozumel, altho there will be little difference. Good luck friends in both places. Four days from now - Tuesday, NHC thinks it'll have already passed the Yucatan and be in the Gulf building power from that warm water. Could be a really bad lady by the time she comes ashore around the Rio Grande Valley...!! :shocked: Of course, she could also drift north or south of that line.

For latest update on predictions: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I had some conversations with my usual trip insurance company and usual airline this morning and learned a few things that may be helpful down the line for me. In hopes they may be helpful to others now, I'll try to share them here...

The insurance company would pay if I was prevented from traveling and incurred losses, which is the way it should be. If they paid only because I changed my mind about going, the premiums would be ridiculous. For example, Continental is still planning on flying to Grand Cayman and Roatan tomorrow - subject to change.

The insurance company would pay if an airline didn't fly as scheduled, and the airline was covered. I use Travel Safe as they cover all airlines.

If I have the good sense to not go to Grand Cayman tomorrow, Cozumel or Cancun on Monday, or even didn't want to risk flying into Roatan tomorrow (does RTB even have instrument landing possibilities for a thunderstorm?), the insurance company is not going to pay for optional losses - it all depends on the airline.

HERE'S THE BIG ONE, THO: If I was booked on any of those, and didn't want to go, Continental would not charge me for changing!! NEXT BIG ONE: Then, if my Atlantic Air flight connecting to Utila was canceled and I couldn't get a refund, Travel Safe would pay for that.

All this does sound pretty reasonable to me, and reassuring. I am wondering if other airlines are allowing free changing..??

Posted Image

Edited by DandyDon, 15 July 2005 - 12:36 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#15 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:49 PM

That was some interesting info in that post, Don. Aren't you headed down Utila way in a week or so?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users