• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hurricane Emily/Cozumel

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 daileydiver

daileydiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:54 AM

Howdy ya'll......anyone have any idea what the effects will be, if any, on the Cozumel reef system after Emily visits one of my favorite dive destinations?

:twist:
Life is less complicated underwater

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:26 AM

There's no way to tell. It might have no effect, but it could do serious damage. Time will tell.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:40 AM

There's no way to tell. It might have no effect, but it could do serious damage. Time will tell.

Bummer, considering it is t-minus 6 days and counting until departure!!!! :(

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#4 sun50

sun50

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:07 PM

All we need is a bit of left turn!!! :welcome:

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,703 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:44 PM

Here is an official update from Cozumel courtesy of DiveScoop:

COZUMEL, MEXICO, PREPARES FOR HURRICANE EMILY

July 16, 2005 (3:00 PM) As forecasted by the National Weather Service,
Hurricane Emily is expected to move through Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula late Sunday evening (July 17). At this time, the island of Cozumel is on orange alert and has initiated on-island preparations for the storm's arrival.
However, contrary to earlier reports, no official evacuation has been issued.

According to Gaston Cantarell Diaz, president of the Cozumel Hotel Association, the island is well equipped for the storm and prepared to accommodate all tourists on island.

"All of the necessary preparations are in place to ensure the safety of both our residents and visitors, and should it become necessary, we are well-equipped to accommodate travelers at several emergency shelters throughout downtown Cozumel," he said.

If weather conditions continue:

The Cozumel airport is expected to suspend operation tomorrow if
winds exceed 25 knots.

All ferry services and cruise ships to the island will suspend
operation at 6:00 p.m. CST Saturday, July 16.

Tourists on island were provided the option of remaining in Cozumel or leaving the island in advance of the storm.

For those travelers who elected to remain on island, resorts have safety shelters located on property and have enough resources, including food and water, to care for guests up to 15 days.

If necessary, the Cozumel Convention Center will serve as a back-up shelter specifically for visiting tourists and can accommodate up to 2,000 individuals.

More than 500 additional resort rooms have been designated to serve as storm shelter for residents and guests, if necessary.

Cozumel resorts and hotels will have updates on the storm available at each hotel's front desk. Concerned friends and family members of guests currently on island can contact the hotels directly for information as well.
Individual hotel listings and contact information can be located at www.islacozumel.com.mx

Major tour operators are providing travelers with the option to rebook there current travel arrangements for the end of July and August.

Additional updates from the island will be available at
www.visitmexico.com.

For more information, please contact YPB&R Public Relations:

Noel Perkins Jeanette Chin
(407) 838-1797 (office) (407) 838-1807 (office)
(407) 353-0222 (wireless) (407) 963-5139 (wireless)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 sfret

sfret

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70+

Posted 17 July 2005 - 07:53 PM

We need to rebook Cozumel. HOW ABOUT A TWO WEEK STAY INSTEAD OF ONE !!!!

I would bet most of the silt will blow out by Friday/Weekend.
"Can't we all just get along?" -Rodney King

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,703 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:20 AM

Emily Hits Mexico on the Way to Texas

7/18/2005 -
Here’s the latest word on Hurricane Emily:

Over the weekend, the Category 4 storm (with winds up to 145 mph) caused heavy flooding on the south coast of Jamaica, while many resorts on the northern side of the island were not affected. Resorts and hotels in Grenada are reportedly running normal schedules, following a light dusting by Emily when the storm was still a Category 1 hurricane. The Carnival in Grenada will be held as scheduled for Aug. 8-9. And, the Caymans reported little damage as well.

Emily showed signs of weakening this morning as it struck Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula. Tourists in Cancun, Cozumel, Playa de Carmen, and other Gulf Coast resort cities were evacuated over the weekend, and the airport in Cancun was actually closed yesterday.

This is truly good news for all countries involved and for SD since we have vacation plans to both Cozumel this weekend and Grenada this Sept!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#8 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:27 AM

I wish you all the best. I will be in Coz Aug 7th thru the 14th (trip with my son) so am very anxious to hear how it goes.
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,703 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 03:29 PM

Current Update:

The South end was clipped by the storm so Iberro Star was hit hard and will be closed until October. Closer into town everything seems fine. The dock is in tact and no major damage was reported. All dive operators seem to have weathered the strom ok and one or two beach side restaurants took some hits as well.

Also the resorts are booking people for travel as of this Wednesday so you can resume your travel plans if flying to Cozumel Wednesday or later.

More as it is available....

formerly...

#10 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

Does anyone know Emily's effects on the Florida Keys? Has visibility been greatly affected? How's it looking down there, Walter & Marvel? I'm heading down there this week for some weekend diving with my LDS and finishing my OW cert!

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:16 AM

CJ,

I haven't heard any reports about diving conditions in the Keys, but it passed well to the south, unlike Dennis which stirred things up considerably (uprighting a 510 ft long wreck that had been on it's starboard side). I suspect it had little or no effect on the diving.

Where are you staying/diving?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:51 AM

Does anyone know Emily's effects on the Florida Keys? Has visibility been greatly affected? How's it looking down there, Walter & Marvel? I'm heading down there this week for some weekend diving with my LDS and finishing my OW cert!

Good luck on your OW cert!!!!!

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#13 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:24 AM

Info I just got from Cozumel:

The East side of the island is wiped out, Mezcalitos, Coconuts, other bars on that side of the island; the eye of the hurricane passed right over Punta Sur, down at the east and south side corner of the island. They will all rebuild I am sure.

#14 Dejah

Dejah

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:53 AM

Info I just got from Cozumel:

The East side of the island is wiped out, Mezcalitos, Coconuts, other bars on that side of the island; the eye of the hurricane passed right over Punta Sur, down at the east and south side corner of the island. They will all rebuild I am sure.

:birthday: Bummer, that is such a pretty part of the Island and has some fun places to hang out for a relaxing afternoon...

#15 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:47 AM

Thanks, DBD!

Walter, we are diving with the Conch Republic Divers and staying on some resort condos not far away. I don't know much about that operation since the LDS arranged it all. Are you familiar with them? Our group will have its own boat for the dives, so that will be nice. Too bad I'm not already certified!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users