• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New to South Florida but loving it already

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GrierHPharmD

GrierHPharmD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:86 (as of 4/4/04)

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:03 PM

Hi folks,

Walter and Marvel told me about this board, and I'll have to admit that I've been lurking a bit, more because of lack of time than lack of things to say, but I'm here now with a vengeance.

Before I say anything about myself, let me just say that I really like/respect the supportive feel of the forums that I've seen. For me, part of what I love about diving is the interaction with my fellow divers, most of whom can teach me a thing or two if I just shut up long enough to listen. I especially liked the comments on Marvel's thread about knowing when to call a dive.

Well, to introduce myself, I'm a pharmaceutical researcher who is in the middle of a relocation from Charlotte, NC to Hollywood, FL. I've lived in the Charlotte area all of my life, so it's a bit of a transition coming here. I'm married (16 years on May 7!) and have a 14 year-old son and an 11 year-old daughter, both of whom are avid snorkelers. I hope that the diving bug will bite them when they join me here in June.

My wife is an AOW diver, taking a little break from diving after a dive accident in 2002 which happened because we didn't call a dive. Luckily, she survived with no permanent physical injuries, but it really took a toll on her desire to dive. Again, maybe that will change when she becomes a Floridian.

I'm currently a PADI Rescue diver with Nitrox certs from PADI and IANTD. I'm working on my DM course now, more to improve my knowledge base than from a desire to work in the industry, but it's always nice to keep one's options open.

Since January, when I moved to South Florida, I've made some great friends among the Conch Divers on ScubaBoard. I've quickly become addicted to shore diving, and love to dive with the people that I've met there, which includes Walter and Marvel.

I'm always looking for a buddy, especially for beach dives in Broward. After spending three plus years having to travel to dive anywhere other than a quarry, it's really nice to be able to dive on my own schedule, for nothing more than the price of an air fill. Suddenly, my little bit of experience prior to moving here seems pretty insignificant.

So, is it the diving or the fellowship that keeps me going back to the sea? That's a topic for another thread...

Nice to meet you guys, and I'm looking forward to diving together in the near future.

-Grier

"I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue center light pop and everybody goes "Aww!"" -Jack Kerouac

#2 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:07 PM

Welcome GrierHPharmD
Great Intro! Great Name!!
Welcome Aboard!

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:11 PM

Hi Grier,

Now if we can just get our other buddy to post an intro..........

Welcome! It's good to see you here. We have to plan some more dives soon.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

Great to have you here ... welcome!
Jamie
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#5 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

:welcome: Grier...glad you stopped by and hope that you will call this home. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that are ready and willing to help in anyway, all you have to is ask.

Don't forget to take a look at our website at SingleDivers.com. We are constantly upgrading and would love to see you on one of our upcoming trips.

Again, welcome to our little place on the net where having fun is what it is all about.

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#6 GrierHPharmD

GrierHPharmD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:17 PM

Walter,

I'll dive with you any time. I really enjoyed that trip off of Boca. Let's work on our friend to get that intro posted!

-G

#7 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:45 PM

hey grier...welcome to the board! congrats on your marriage and awesome kids, and i'm so glad your loving florida. some of my favorite people are from there. :welcome:

#8 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:46 PM

Howdy ;)

:welcome: Glad you're here...

don
:)
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#9 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:25 PM

:lmao: Grier,

Welcome to the Group! Glad to have you here.

WG

#10 maxdvr

maxdvr

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:s.s.i. centry diver/rescue diver.. padi divemaster
  • Logged Dives:142 at last count

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:55 PM

welcome grier...glad to have u aboard
Posted Image
if your not living on the edge...your takin up to much space

landlocked by misfortune

"Kindness to others is the rent we pay for our time on Earth". - Muhammad Ali

#11 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:05 PM

Hooray!!!! It's official!!! :lmao: :-D :welcome: Grier!!!

See folks:

(Grier's tag) "I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue center light pop and everybody goes "Aww!"" -Jack Kerouac

Zany enough to fit right in here!! :teeth:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#12 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:30 PM

:welcome: to the board Grier glad you quit lurking.

#13 GrierHPharmD

GrierHPharmD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for all of the nice comments. Feels like home already.

-Grier :welcome:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users