• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

aeris

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flatwood

flatwood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:open water, Nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:100 plus

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:48 AM

I have an aeris atmos 2 console computer that the battery compartment keeps flooding even with new o-rings. Does anyone have any ideas? I've sent two emails to aeris and they have not responded. :dltears:
I've got 99 problems and diving ain't one of them.

#2 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:06 PM

I'd take it to a dive shop myself.

I had to replace the battery in my Vyper earlier this year and I took it to a dive shop, even though it is user replaceable

It could be that the battery compartment is just not sealing right because of the o-ring not being seated right...it's hard to tell really

Kim

#3 Neptuner

Neptuner

I spend too much time on line

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:12 PM

Hey Bob, I would pick up the phone and call them if I was you. It's often very easy to misplace and or ignore an e-mail, but not so easy with a personal call. Besides, on a personal call you can sweet talk the technician a bit and help them feel your pain. I'm eager to see how this turns out as I have the same computer myself. If it were me I would make sure they understand that I am a diver among a group of well over a thousand divers and guess what... we all buy equipment regularly.

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#4 sun50

sun50

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:23 AM

Bob;
Keep us updated on this. I have the same computer.
Doug

#5 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:36 PM

Bob;
Keep us updated on this. I have the same computer.
Doug

Me too - and ah'm fix'n to replace my battery before my winter trip.

What did Aeris say??
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#6 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:17 PM

I have 2 Aeris comps, the Atmos 2 and the Pro. The 2 has been flawless, the Pro has died on *three* trips, acting like the battery was toast. The Pro has been replaced once, but it's still wonky. I'm thinking it's junk, although I like the console design better than the bulkier 2 console. I bought the Atmos 2 after my Pro died in Florida on the last dive, and carry it as a backup. At least they both run identical algorithms, so it's less headache when you run close to the limits.

I didn't like the way either battery compartment felt, although I haven't had any issues with it. Maybe there's a scratch or seam issue where your o-ring sits? I called 'em on the phone the first time it died, 'cos like you I didn't get a response from e-mail. They were nice enough to replace it once, but when the replacement had the same battery grief, I figured it was a design flaw. Since then, I'd talked to a few folks with similar troubles with the Pro, although I haven't heard of any flooding issues 'till now.

#7 Vessper

Vessper

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Rescue
  • Logged Dives:24

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:56 AM

I guess I have been the lucky one. I have the Atmos 2 console and have not had a single issue with it yet. Nor have I had to change the battery yet. I guess I need to keep my figure's crossed.

#8 Dive_buddy

Dive_buddy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:198

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:18 AM

Check the grooves that the o-rings sets in and rides in. If the old o-ring was removed with anything but a proper o-ring removal tool (and who has one of them?) then the groove may have a "scratch" in it allowing water to flow past the o-ring. And NO, a very soft gutar pick is NOT a proper o-ring removal tool.

Also, check for any malformity of any type. A bump, peach fuzz, lint from a Q-tip, your missing dive watch, and things like that. Also see if the covers will set in place without "rocking" when the O-ring is removed. The cover may have gotten skewed and is not seating right.

Hope this helps.
Olympic diving is a sport. Scuba diving is an obsession.

#9 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:01 AM

If the old o-ring was removed with anything but a proper o-ring removal tool (and who has one of them?) then the groove may have a "scratch" in it allowing water to flow past the o-ring. And NO, a very soft gutar pick is NOT a proper o-ring removal tool.

ScubaTools has picks quite cheap. I bought 3 of 'em when I placed an order for some Apeks-specific repair tools. They're a very soft brass, although you could still nick the plastic housing of the Aeris comp with it. On comps and such, I use the soft plastic pick that came with one of my camera housings. It works fine, and I haven't scarred any of my o-ring seats. I only use the brass picks for regs and valves, which are usually chrome over hard brass. The little rubber spike on soft dental picks works the best, and has a finer tip than my camera pick. I gotta get another one of those for my dive kit... you won't be able to scar plastic OR brass with it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users