• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Solo Diving certification?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:59 AM

I realize that this might be a controversial topic but since this is a single divers forum perhaps others might understand and bear with me while I frame this question.

I just went to Dutch Springs in PA on this past Saturday (20 Aug 2005) as I was driving out to IN for work this week. I stopped there for a couple of hours driving break and had a very enjoyable and relaxing dive in a new environment. The place was packed with dive clubs and classes from all over the US and several international folks as well. It was nice to see so many divers inland though the visibility did pay a price!

After I left there I was looking through their web site when I found a passage that said that to dive solo that one needs a "Solo Diving certification". I did dive solo there but was never asked and didn't realize that it was an issue (they knew I was there alone when I paid at the gate but never said anything to me). Has anyone ever heard of this type of certification? What agency(s) offer this? Is this a common policy at many dive resorts/springs?
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#2 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:46 AM

TDI/SDI offer the solo certification. As I see it the major flaw in their program is they do not have any text of their own.

Cheers Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:42 AM

No, it is not a common policy. Most resorts/charters either don't monitor your diving or won't let you dive solo, regardless of whether you have a solo certification. Jim's correct, SDI is the only agency with a solo certification. It's been around for a few years now.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:07 AM

IF you are solo diving how does the intructor do the check out dive?! :wavey:
This is tongue in cheek as opposed to the PADI requirment of tongue on check.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:45 AM

Ray, it might be tongue in cheek, but it is a legitimate concern.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:53 AM

Actually one of the more well-regarded technical instructors up here (actually in ONT) is making the SDI solo course a pre-req. for his TDI technical program. I guess that it is to give the divers enough information to where they won't be dependent dive buddies underwater.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:01 AM

Can I produce a log of 500 solo dives instead of taking the class?

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:18 AM

Somehow, I think that he wouldn't have a problem with you on any of his pre-requesites, Walter. :wavey:

But, he gets divers with a fair amount less experience than you typically. I get the impression that as I said, he just wants to insure that his students aren't going to be so buddy dependent that they have major issues if something happens to their buddies down there. It also re-inforces the issues with redundant gear rigged in a manner that everything can be operated by the person using it and makes self-rescue a larger priority than some of the other courses. He can watch that stuff on the surface coming in and coming out. To be honest, he mentioned it in a Great Lakes diver forum as a recent requirement. He has been well known in most of the tech forums for some time up here.

I wanted to take his gas blender's course last spring, but didn't get the chance do to work schedule.

I haven't taken the course, but I have not had a problem on most of the six packs if I want to solo dive. Many times, someone has to set the anchor on these boats anyways. If I am the only diver on the boat with large doubles and rigged long enough to be down there for deco, I tend to get asked to go in solo to set/ free up anchors and help set buoys. Most of the six packs up here cut costs by not providing a DM and the captain cannot (by the rules) leave the boat. As well, I have had more recent issues with being the only person on the boat with tri-mix. The ascent profiles for tri-mix are different than they are for nitrogen based mixes and I cannot necessarily ascend with one of the other divers by their schedule anyways.

Solo diving skills are the first thing taught by my tech instructor as well. If you are in deco and your buddy gets in a position where he can't help, you have to be able to bail yourself out or have far more serious issues.

Edited by Diverbrian, 22 August 2005 - 07:29 AM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#9 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:02 PM

It's not just a question of whether you are appropriately trained and experienced. I don't have a card that says "solo diver" but I'm quite comfortable doing even pretty advanced dives by myself. But the key is that you must also be properly equipped on the day - proper redundancy of gear, gas reserves worked out for yourself alone, etc. If I see anyone who claims to be able to solo dive going in without the gear needed for self-support I see a problem in the making.

#10 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:59 PM

For years, I elected to solo dive (meaning every dive I did for those years was solo) rather than get paired with the kinds of divers I saw frequenting the dive boats. Now, I diligently try to put together dives every week so that I can dive with a regular group of people with whom I don't worry about diving.

I still solo dive when I have to. To me, the risk is lower than diving with the dangerous divers I see out there daily (yes, daily). However, I find it more enjoyable to dive with a buddy when possible.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#11 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:18 PM

I, too, feel far more comfortable diving solo than with a diver whose abilities I don't know firsthand (or who "exagerrates" them). I have had a much higher incident rate when diving with pick-up buddies than when diving solo (and only one of those "buddies" would have been able to offer any assistance).

I might add that many of the dive pros here dive solo since so many of them are working when others might be free to dive.

However, I do not recommend to anyone that they solo dive (nor that they not unless it is obvious they need more experience). Without a good knowledge of their diving skills and their reaction to problems underwater, it would be irresponsible to do so.

With that said, I truly enjoy diving with one of my regular buddies. It is much more enjoyable to share the dive with someone (although through my local TV show and newspaper column I share my dives with hundreds if not thousands of folks). Now if only I could get one of my lovely lady dive buddies to see me as (sigh) more than "just" a dive buddy!

Dr. Bill

Edited by drbill, 22 August 2005 - 08:20 PM.

#12 okmister1

okmister1

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Board Status:Deployed with the Guard
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:30

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:58 PM

I came across an article about that specialty. The descriptions of the course weren't about a gentle touch method. It wasn't a demonstrate the skill and get a handshake from the instructor style of curriculem. The instructors were described as swimming above and behind the student and inflicting emergencies on them before grading how well they dealt with all kinds of malfunctions.
Mike

"Good luck Mr. Gorsky." - Neil Armstrong (so what if it's an urban myth.)
My Webpage

Myspace profile

#13 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:09 PM

I came across an article about that specialty. The descriptions of the course weren't about a gentle touch method. It wasn't a demonstrate the skill and get a handshake from the instructor style of curriculem. The instructors were described as swimming above and behind the student and inflicting emergencies on them before grading how well they dealt with all kinds of malfunctions.

Hmmm... they did that in my LAC "open water" certification nearly 40 years ago. It was taught by an ex marine who wanted to make sure you knew your stuff before going in the water after certification. I thank him for it.

Of course back then there was less gear to mess with- no octo, no SPG, no BCD...

#14 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:39 AM

My requirements are Read Von Meyers book, Own the equipment, and pass a quick interview to ensure you are not an idiot. If TDI ever got around to producing their own material I may take it more seriously. Most of the people that really want the card from me are looking for something to get them out of being buddied up with someone who needs constant attention.

So Yes Walter you probably could.

Cheers Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#15 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

Actually one of the more well-regarded technical instructors up here (actually in ONT) is making the SDI solo course a pre-req. for his TDI technical program. I guess that it is to give the divers enough information to where they won't be dependent dive buddies underwater.

that or its to line his pocket with more money. oh wait, only PADI charges for classes.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users