• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Toys for Kids in Grenada

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:01 AM

same thread different title

Toy Story Grenada Style

At first it was just a few toys for a few children in Grenada. Maybe the hotel workers kids, maybe a few kids on the streets. It was just a gesture of generosity at first. Posting this idea drew a very big response from our members that where going on the trip. It started a few months in advance so there was time for others to think about the idea. I would say the last few weeks before we left for Grenada this idea for toys for the Grenadian kids was growing rapidly. After several posts on the board and a number of PMs a total of 600+ toys where staged to be delivered to the children that we would be exposed to during our trip. As our first week in Grenada was in full swing there where mentions of what day we where supposed to do this delivery on. There was a lot of Toys there. And I didn’t know at the time that WW had already gone before us and was lining up a couple of orphanages to distribute the toys to. we where told as a group on Tuesday or Wednesday that at 9:00am in the morning on Friday we would all meet at the front desk where Keith our personal taxi driver would be waiting to take us on our tour of the island plus drive us to the orphanages.

9:00am Friday

As the group gathered with there bags of toys and the hotel workers where starting their day some of our members started asking the workers do you have children? What are their ages? Girl or boy? Some toys and school supplies where handed out right there at the hotel. After Keith laid down the backseats of the bus and loaded the toys and we where off. Nobody really said it but I'm sure most of us said in their minds Road Trip! Well we pulled up to the first orphanage and WW jumped out to greet Shirley to caregiver? She was shortly joined by Kathy Rosa Que Carla Michelle and myself. My first impression of the home was that it was very clean as well as the kids. Average age of the kids where 3 to 6ish. Shirley told us that some of the kids where in school at the time so we missed meeting them. Shirley also told us that this home was a temporary home till the main orphanage was finally rebuilt from hurricane Ivan which was do to be finished in Oct 2005. Several of us interacted with the children holding them and exchanging names ages etc.. We shuttled many bags of toys to Shirley's house and she told us that she would distribute the toys a little at a time to the kids so that they would last longer. We all agreed with her and we where just glad to be the deliverers. Now it was back to the Road Trip (whole different story :birthday: we traveled most of the major roads in Grenada that day and our return to the hotel Keith brought us by another orphanage. A few of us went in as a small group and met up with Sharon Davis the manager. I liked her right off the bat! She knew we where coming and had assembled the kids in an auditorium. She told us that the kids would really like to meet us. So it was back to the bus to announce that Hey the kids would like to meet us. Trey Carla Rosa Que Michelle Cathy WW and I assembled in the orphanages entrance. There Sharon told us to get our Slack Diver butts in the auditorium and bring the kids toys with you (gotta love Sharon) it was a short walk to meet the kids and I had no prepared speech to give them no promise of a better future. Well we walked in the with only our hands and words plus a big box of toys. We all went around shaking kid’s hands holding in our arms the smaller ones and sharing our names also. can you believe there was a young girl named "Kamala" also Rosa had pointed it out to WW and I think that made it kind of special for her. Sharon took us on a tour of the rest of the place going upstairs where they where just finishing the rooms so each older child could have there own rooms. Then it was back downstairs to the rooms that house the special needs children. This was getting pretty emotional at this point. I’m not sure how but there was children all around us and I saw Rosa holding at least 4 or 5 kids at once and that was precious! Everyone else was doing about the same thing. Well after that most of us returned the bus and I was talking with hawk on the outside of it and I was telling him about the generosity of our diving group. Then it came to me that WW and Michelle was still in the building...I thought the worst? WW was signing them up as future SD.comers Oh No so I went back inside as Michelle was just leaving and it was just WW and I. I turned to WW and gave here a big hug as I was just overjoyed with tears about our groups generosity and the helping hand they lent that day. I think WW was all teary eyed as well and she said that she would like to take 10 of the kids home with her. Sharon ask us if we where crying and we said yes! she said I did to when I first got here. This was so worth the little time and expense that I hope SD.com promotes more of these. I hear that you’re doing the same thing on the next Fiji trip :birthday:

B2B

please feel free to add your comments or experiances on this Toy Story

Edited by Bubble2Bubble, 16 September 2005 - 07:46 PM.

Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:08 AM

I have to say, visiting those orphanages was probably one of the most moving experiences I have ever had in my life. All of the children were so much more interested in being held and receiving hugs and kisses than they were in the toys. Definitely puts perspective on what is truly important when you have lost everything. It is not the material things that matter, but rather, the human connection and love.

Okay, enough sappiness for me. I might ruin my cover if too many people find out!

#3 George

George

IT Administrator & Owner

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:13 AM

Okay, enough sappiness for me. I might ruin my cover if too many people find out!

Too late! :birthday:

Now you make me want to go to Grenada...oh yes...and it might have some diving in it as well!
Email me

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#4 Neptuner

Neptuner

I spend too much time on line

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:02 AM

Don't let her fool you boys, this gal has a heart the size of BC! You're one in a million Michelle. :birthday:

Bubski, thanks again for bringing such a wonderful idea to the board in the first place. You're a big ole' softy bro' and your compassion knows no boundaries.

This is definitely the one excursion I'm very sad I missed. I did get a chance to meet and socialize with many of the locals, both needy and otherwise, but seeing all of the SD faces would have been priceless. Rest assured I will be happy to deliver any additional items on behalf of SD during my next excursion down to Grenada and I think your idea of making this a tradition for SD on future trips is wonderful Bubski!

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#5 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

Mike, thanks for posting. Brings tears to my eyes again remembering. The greatest thing is that all the kids we saw at both orphanages seemed loved and cared for, even the bigger teenaged girls who were too busy being cool to let their hair down!!!

Thanks again Mike, Que and Kamala for organizing this. :angel2:

Rosa

#6 CaribVa

CaribVa

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:33 AM

I just wanted to say how happy this post makes me, It shows what a wonderful group of people you are, leaving Grenada better than you found it. It is so great to see people giving back to the kids of Grenada. There are so many people there that live with so little. It make me appreciate so much more what I am blessed with.
I often suggest that visitors bring something for the kids at an orphanage, but you all had the idea to do something special long before you ever found the Grenada Travel Forum. Grenada Travel Forum My hats off to all of you. :cheerleader:

Each time I visit Grenada, there are many people there that remember us, and call out to say Hi. I have two young men, who were just little boys that we bring things for on each visit. It has been great to see them grow and see the excitement in their faces to see us again.

Just a little thought to end with, it would be great if some of you stayed in contact with the kids you visited. A card or a letter, a picture, even an occasional phone call would go a long way to brighten the lives of these kids. It just may be all of the reason that you need to go visit again, once you are hooked on Grenada, you can not let go !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users