• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Moody Gardens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 September 2005 - 08:41 PM

This was a wonderful tour, and if Sydney does it again some time, I would highly recommend it.

We met at the visitors center and then walked over to the Aquarium Pyramid to watch Sydney do a cleaning in the Caribbean tank. The Caribbean tank is their largest and has a walk through tunnel so you can see the fish very close up from every angle. I had been to the Aquarium 4 years ago when I first moved to Texas, but this is the first time I have been back since I started diving. I must say it was like seeing it through a whole different set of eyes. Sydney entered the tank like a pro, looking great and doing us proud! :) There was also a safety diver with her carrying a pvc pipe to ward off any sharks in a bad mood, but the sharks were no problem and stayed out of the way. We watched Sydney scrubing the coral for a short time (don't worry it wasn't real coral!), and then we rushed over to the IMAX to watch the Shark movie in 3D. The movie was incredible and worth the trip all by itself. The 3D effects of the Jelly fish floating all around us, made you feel like you were right in the water, and the sharks came within inches from our face! :-D After the movie we had lunch, and then headed back to the Aquarium for our tour. Two tour guides and Sydney took us back and showed us the kitchens where they prep the food for the fish, their feeding schedules, how they vary their diets with different types of food, the entry points for the divers into the tanks, the coral they are harvesting, where they incubate the eggs, etc. Our guides were very knowledgeable and very interesting. After the tour behind the scenes, we walked over to the South Pacific Aquarium and watched a diver do a feeding in that tank. Most of the fish ate what he put out into the water, then he fed the Rays and the Morays by hand which was just amazing.

The Penguins in the South Atlantic exhibit were one of our favorites. I am sure there were times when we must have been quite a sight to see 9 grown adults sitting on the floor so we could get a good view below the water line and pointing at the glass (I don't think we hurt any small children in the process!) and comparing the differences between the Kings and the Rockhoppers and the Chinstraps and their antics and their identification braclets and taking over the guide's notebook from him. The guides were great with us and very patient, they answered all our questions very graciously. I don't think we were quite the average group of tourists. :lmao: I don't know, perhaps it's a diver thing. :diver:

The seals were great fun to watch, and had more personality than some people I know. :lmao: The seahorse exhibit is fantastic and has grown a lot since the last time I was there.

We went through all the exhibits and ended back at the Penquins to watch another feeding. We were all pretty tired at this point, and left Moody Gardens to head for the Kemah Boardwalk for food and drink where we were met by TheSassyRabbit!

I would like to thank Sydney and Moody Gardens for this opportunity. They were able to recruit at least one volunteer. Our own mermaid lady, Teresa will be starting the volunteer training program next month. Good Luck Teresa! :birthday:

#2 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:21 AM

This was a great day in the company of great people!! A special and sincere :birthday: to Sudseymark for taking the time and effort to put this together :respect: . If I lived closer, I would certainly consider the volunteer idea, alot of work, but alot alot of fun potential.

Thanks to TSR for driving across Houston to join us for our own version of an HH!!

See ya!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#3 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:14 AM

u guys can give me the live 411 at gilligans HH

#4 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:16 AM

Thanks to TSR for driving across Houston to join us for our own version of an HH!!

It was my pleasure. Thanks to SP for keeping me in the loop! It was great to the seen the survivors of the day - although a long one, it sounds like everyone REALLY enjoyed it. John - good to see you.

#5 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:46 PM

Sounds like yet another fun time was had by the SD.com group. Sorry I missed it although I had a great time myself at the Alan Jackson concert up in the Woodlands. :fish2:
-Mitch-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users