• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DIVING Families & Parents

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 trixiegirl1970

trixiegirl1970

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:15

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:09 PM

:D My mom recently started diving (certified two years ago with little opportunity to gain experience) and we have planned (for the third time)our first trip to the Gardens.

I am just curious:
How many people have parents that dive?

Kids 12-18 yrs that dive ?

Kids over 18 that dive ?

IF this group is big enough how 'bout a rendevou (had to look the spelling up, thought there was a z somewhere-hahaha) next year sometime?

I am terribly excited to have her as a buddy-- I am trying to get her on this forum, I only started yesterday but WOW! do you all have fun...

Thanks to all who gave me a warm greeting as well... :)

#2 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:11 PM

I've got a pair of 17 year olds that I'm trying to get involved in diving - with graduation etc . . . looks like I'll have to wait a while. It's a shame I would love to take them on a diving trip. They are more than willing to come right now, they told me they could wait on the beach and scope out boys, while I go diving. (Makes me feel old.) :)

Edited by ScubaHawk, 27 September 2005 - 01:13 PM.

Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#3 trixiegirl1970

trixiegirl1970

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:14 PM

I've got a pair of 17 year olds that I'm trying to get involved in diving - with graduation etc . . . looks like I'll have to wait a while.

My 12 yr old is going to get certified this year... you should have started when you had more control...hahahaha

speaking as someone entering the TRANSITION years! (Full Throttle)

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:22 PM

My 25 year year old son learned to dive at 13. He hasn't dived since he was 18. My 19 year old daughter doesn't dive.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:43 PM

I've got a pair of 17 year olds that I'm trying to get involved in diving - with graduation etc . . . looks like I'll have to wait a while.

My 12 yr old is going to get certified this year... you should have started when you had more control...hahahaha

speaking as someone entering the TRANSITION years! (Full Throttle)

I had control? When? :)
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#6 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

I have a 27 year old son and a 25 year old daughter both OW and living near FLL, my mother did snorkel but won't travel anymore.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#7 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:17 PM

My dad and I took our OW course together. He was 61 when he got certified. That was over 4 years ago now. :D

#8 trixiegirl1970

trixiegirl1970

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:52 PM

My dad and I took our OW course together. He was 61 when he got certified. That was over 4 years ago now. :)

So , is he still diving? does he go on trips with you?

#9 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:52 PM

Yes and yes! In fact, he is normally my dive buddy!

#10 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:40 AM

Only member of my immediate family that is certified is my brother. Alas, like me, it has been many years since he was last in the water and will need to take a refresher when the time comes.
My kid? Up to them if they ever want to try it as I'm not gonna push it or anything else for that matter.
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#11 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:34 AM

My dad (62) dives, we do cozumel at least once a year. He is the most expensive trip dive buddy I got.

I got two bubblemaker almost 9 year olds, who are dying to be 10 and get wet.

#12 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:09 AM

My dad's a PADI MSDT, my sister is PADI Rescue (I think, maybe AOW). My mom, however, is not certified.

We've spent some time in the pool with her, but she freaks out when we get to the deep end. She just doesn't like the idea of not being able to stand up. Yet, she'll jump in deep water w/o gear all day long....go figure.

I think what we need to do is get her snorkeling on a shallow reef. She'll be much more motivated after we interact with some fish 20' below her and she's stuck at the surface :diver:

Edited by Warthog, 28 September 2005 - 07:10 AM.

#13 trixiegirl1970

trixiegirl1970

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:12 AM

Okay, now those are the attitudes I love to here....

#14 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:12 AM

Hey Hawk, if it makes you feel younger to stay on the beach and check out boys, you go right ahead bro', but I think I'll pass on that one... unless you decide to start scoping for girls, then 'ole Neptuner's yer wingman! :D

There's only one certifiable person in my family... oh... and look, here come my buddies in the white coats to collect me right now... Hey guys, I was just foolin' around, that's all... just wanted to send a few e-mails... guys?... GUYS??? ... aw' c'mon guys, put the dart gun away... there's no need for (THWAK!)... OUCH!!... hey, that kinda..... (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)...

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users