• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Calling all Freedivers!!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:45 PM

The only truth to the story is that there was a French freediver named Jacques Mayol who set records in no limits freediving and his greatest competitor at the time was an Italian freediver named Enzo Maiorca (Enzo Molinari in the film.) Mayol never made it to 400 feet like in the film and he set his last freediving record at 345 feet at the age of 56. I think one of the things that makes it more popular in Europe  than in the United States is that it is more cost effective so participants from poorer nations can dive without a lot of expense and the diving conditions in the Mediterranean Sea often favor it. The majority of freedivers in the USA are spearos.

Trace

I have a VHS of "The Big Blue," and I watch it from time to time. Thanks for the background on the film, Trace. :twist:

Cheers,
Rick
:teeth:

#32 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:20 PM

I freedive too!  Been down to 60'..........

I've only been to 40' here (keep running into this thing called the "bottom") :D

Great Pic. :fish: Nice fins. :D
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#33 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:47 AM

You'll find me cruising through the weed beds of the lake where my grandfather built a cabin.

Your grandfather built a cabin in a lake? Must have been hard driving all those nails underwater. :diver:
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#34 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:23 PM

You'll find me cruising through the weed beds of the lake where my grandfather built a cabin.

Your grandfather built a cabin in a lake? Must have been hard driving all those nails underwater. :thankyou:

He used rivets, silly!! :banghead:

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#35 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:42 PM

Your grandfather built a cabin in a lake? Must have been hard driving all those nails underwater. :thankyou:

He used rivets, silly!! :banghead:

We use this stuff at work called liquid nail.

Eric

#36 FreeFloat

FreeFloat

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / DIR-F in training
  • Logged Dives:165+

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:26 AM

I just saw this thread........ not sure if I've replied yet or not.

I'm a freediver, and have posted a pic of me and my fins as my profile pic. I'm not sure how many of you can see it, though. (I tried to upload the picture itself to this post, but the upload was denied)

Edited by FreeFloat, 09 February 2006 - 12:28 AM.

FreeFloat
Toronto (North York), Ontario

Another day Wet is another day Happy

#37 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:15 AM

I just saw Tanya Streeter's show on Animal Planet - "Freediver" GREAT footage from Belize, Turks and Caicos, the Dominican Republic as well as the Galapagos Archipelago. They had footage of Tanya swimming with humpback whales, sharks, turtles, marine iguanas, sea lions, sea turtles, penguins and manatees. In her narrative, she talks about how these animals naturally evolved the skills she’s worked so hard to acquire.

There is one scene with Sea Lions where they are so obviously playing with her, mimicing her motions, "fetching" etc. it is just unreal.

According to their website, it will air again on April 23.

Animal Planet - "Freediver" show

I met her once at Lake Travis last summer with her husband (sorry guys, but she's taken) - and she is very unassuming and natural, despite being drop-dead gorgeous and overwhelmingly talented.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#38 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:SAFER & IAFD Freedive Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Too many to count when you freedive ;-)

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:58 AM

Teresa,

You may want to try contacting Cliff (freedivers). He's not a premier member but he's got contact info in his profile. (AND he's cute! :banghead:)

Congrats on your 100th post! :thankyou:

Thanks Annasea... and right back atcha... :angry:

Took some time off of SD for some reflection - have been lurking about lately though...
Cliff Etzel
Immersive Video Journalist

"The scuba diver dives to look around. The freediver dives to look inside" Umberto Pelizzari

#39 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:03 AM

Teresa,

You may want to try contacting Cliff (freedivers). He's not a premier member but he's got contact info in his profile. (AND he's cute! :wavey:)

Congrats on your 100th post! :banghead:

Thanks Annasea... and right back atcha... :angry:

Took some time off of SD for some reflection - have been lurking about lately though...

Hey Cliff! :thankyou: back! You've been missed. :cool1:

#40 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:06 AM

heya annasea - How goes the cert so far??? :birthday:
Cliff Etzel

"The scuba diver dives to look around. The freediver dives to look inside" Umberto Pelizzari

#41 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

Call me silly....but 100' with no tank!!! How is that possible?? I don't know much about free diving!

Actually 100' isn't as difficult as it sounds - I was able to accomplish that while training with Pipin 3 years ago. It does take some training, but with the right training and some time, 100 feet is attainable. Takes a combination of pool and gym work plus yoga.
Cliff Etzel

#42 nctreasuredvr

nctreasuredvr

Getting started

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:49 AM

Is there anyone on the NC Coast that I could go spearfishin with without a tank? When I was workin the Atocha site off KW, after a full day of shallow scuba, the 1st Mate and I would go freediving for supper which really helped with my endurance. On the Margarita site lookin for lost cannon, many times we'd get towed behind the Whaler by a line, watching the bottom and freedive down for a better view. Up here, the only freediving I can do is solo, so I really cannot push myself at all. I was back in yesterday, only speared 3 sheepshead (anymore would be killin for no reason), and without pushing myself very much could make it from one set of pilings to the next (After being outta the water for 3yrs)

#43 novicediver

novicediver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Logged Dives:19

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:24 AM

:) My 100th post!! :cool1: :cool2: :-D :taz: :twist:

Any other Single Divers here who like to shed their tanks from time to time and swim unencumbered in the deep blue sea? (or shallow green lakes for that matter lol).

For those who occasionally say "thanks but no tanks" please identify yourselves on this thread. Perhaps we can hook up on an SD trip sometime and practice our skills.

Wherever you are, I would love to hear from you. :pray: :blink:

can you get Tanya Streeter to marry me? :laugh:

#44 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:38 PM

She's already married dudes - and he's a really nice guy to boot...
Cliff Etzel

#45 Hexkraut

Hexkraut

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:27 PM

:birthday: I've been free diving for the past 10+ years, though no record depth mostly around 20-30ft. It is great for shallow coral exploring. I have also shared air with divers every so often :cool2:
Now I just got into SCUBA diving and just got certified, but will still do the free diving where more appropriate in shallow areas. :twist:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users