• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tie Down Those Tanks!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:14 PM

As most of you know, I was involved in a serious auto accident a few weeks ago. My vehicle was totaled, and I am lucky to be alive.

By the time my truck came to rest, much of my contents that were packed in the rear had been thrown from the truck onto the ground. This happened despite having my gear tied down inside the truck's rear.

Though one of my forty cubic foot cylinders was ejected from the vehicle, at least my large, double cylinders and three of my forties were not. Luckily, none of the tanks exploded or had a valve that came out during the impact.

Tying everything down may be the thing that saved my life. Next time you are going on a road trip with your gear, please tie everything down. It might save your life, too.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#2 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:22 PM

Thx for the excellent reminder, Howard! :lmao:

#3 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:25 PM

For that matter, make sure anything that can become a projectile is secured in your vehicle. My brother had a similar incident happen to him while travelling up north to his job as a heli-ski guide. He hit black ice and totaled his vehicle into a mountain rock face which wasn't nearly as potentially fatal as the ski boots, poles and skies that went flying around his truck! :lmao: Remember, if you can, put it in the trunk!

#4 sudsymark

sudsymark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:51 AM

Very glad you are ok.

What would anyone suggest about securing equipment when you dont have a trunk? I drive a SUV and need stack tanks & equipment in the back. But as I look at the pile of regulators and BCs, I wonder how much of it will fly over the backseat if I ever got into an accident.
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#5 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:28 AM

Pelican makes tank racks. See:

http://www.pelican.c...ts/trade10.html

'course, they have their own set of problems, but they work pretty good for us.

#6 casematic

casematic

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Cert Level:master
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:50 AM

Glad to hear that you are improving.... We haven't met, but I'm sure we will on a trip sometime.

There is a little irony here... When I first started diving, I had all the initial fears.... what about sharks?... what if I run out of air?... what if my equipment fails?... My instructor told me (let me see if I can accurately quote him).... "you are in more danger driving to the dive than you are actually diving"

I think this is basically true.... You don't have to worry as much about the other guy when diving, but you certainly do when driving...

Here's to a speedy recovery so you can get back to something a little safer (like diving)

:banghead:

#7 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:04 AM

As I drive a Mustang, I pretty much have to shoehorn gear in. No room in that there trunk with that car. But, this is good advice.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users