• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Why Dive?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#16 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:49 AM

To get away from the hubbub of life above the waves, to get away from the noisy, polluted life we lead and to feel free in the place of the piscatorial population.
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#17 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:05 AM

I am more relaxed, more focused, and more aware of life when I'm underwater than I am anywhere else.

If I were to pick one thing...this one line from your post pretty well says it for me Jim. Thank you for saying it so right!

:-)

Twinklez

...ditto...

Norm

#18 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:10 AM

Awesome post Jim.  Sometimes I am so envious of divers who are fascinated my marine life like corals and such.  I have a friend who I am trying to dive with.  He is a cave diver and helping me along my path to cave diving.  He tells me frequently that I am "too wrapped up in the technical side of it" and that I should just go out and see cool stuff and enjoy it. 

People wonder about cave divers.  Being that there is little flora or fauna.  It's the rock formations and sheer splendor that draws the cave diver.  They are wired a bit differently.  Much the same with the wreck diver.  While he or she is combing the boat looking for artifacts or clues to the sinking, or poking around inside imagining being on the boat while it was on the surface, others are looking at the fish habitats.

Ultimately I think we all find our reasons to tempt fate and head under the water.  I crave the solitude.  Much like when I would camp, or do off-road driving.  I'd just enjoy the peace of being alone for a while.  Even if I am alone in a crowd.

There is just so much down there for everyone to enjoy.

Well put...

The only time in my life I have ever felt so focused was my first solo in a 172...

Modern life (well, at least MINE) affords few extended times for such single-mindedness. The simple pleasure starts with gear-up, if not before...the Ritual, the Calm, the Zen...and there is ALWAYS something new to see...

Norm :o
Former Cave Adventurer, current Cave ENJOYER

#19 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:59 AM

The simple pleasure starts with gear-up, if not before...the Ritual, the Calm, the Zen...

You know, I'm glad I'm not the only one who views gear-up that way! :o

Someone was talking about whether or not to allow deckhands on a boat to set up gear in another thread, and all I could think was, "I'm never going to allow a deckhand to do that; it'll throw off my whole dive! I'll give them a tip for not setting up my gear!" I don't know if it's another holdover from the military or what, but going through the routine of setting up, checking the gear, putting it on, and going through the buddy check just gets my head in the right place. It's how I begin the transition from land critter to water critter, and I can't imagine what it would be like to hit the water without going through that ritual first.

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#20 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:30 AM

The simple pleasure starts with gear-up, if not before...the Ritual, the Calm, the Zen...

You know, I'm glad I'm not the only one who views gear-up that way! :)

Someone was talking about whether or not to allow deckhands on a boat to set up gear in another thread, and all I could think was, "I'm never going to allow a deckhand to do that; it'll throw off my whole dive! I'll give them a tip for not setting up my gear!" I don't know if it's another holdover from the military or what, but going through the routine of setting up, checking the gear, putting it on, and going through the buddy check just gets my head in the right place. It's how I begin the transition from land critter to water critter, and I can't imagine what it would be like to hit the water without going through that ritual first.

Cheers!

Jim

Amen, Bro...

Since my Spring Diving outweighs my Ocean stuff 10:1, my OCD extends to the way I lay out my gear on the Picnic table...and having milk crates and Rubbermaid trays instead of mesh bags aids in the LIFO process...one of the nicer points of FW diving is that your gear is GTG as soon as it is put away properly...

Am I the only one that actually pats the plane while pre- and post-flighting?? I feel the same way about my Faber 95... :o

Norm

#21 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:42 AM

Am I the only one that actually pats the plane while pre- and post-flighting?? I feel the same way about my Faber 95... :)

LOL!

I don't think I ever patted one (not consciously, at least), but I have been known to talk to them during the pre-flight walkaround. my PP instructor thought I was crazy, but he did admit we had far fewer mechanical problems than other instructor/student pairs. :teeth: Hey, Cessna 152's need love, too! :o

I gotta get crackin' on my private ticket again... :)

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#22 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:50 AM

I pat the plane on EVERY flight! Private or commercial!

Too funny!

#23 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:02 AM

That must explain it! I don't pat planes. My last commercial flight had a mechanical delay to replace 2 ground spoilers. My last private flight was to make a skydive in which I had a couple of nuisances with my canopy.

I don't pat my gear (much) and yesterday, after my reg was breathing wet, I ended up having to replace the mouthpiece and swap out my primary & backups and adjust them. I have a right post knob that is bubbling slightly and my SPG hose needed to be replaced. Maybe I just need to pat my gear rather than service it?

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#24 Vulture

Vulture

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:32 AM

Am I the only one that actually pats the plane while pre- and post-flighting??

Patting the plane during pre- and post- flights is right out. You must gently stroke the curves lovingly as you walk around the aircraft. Properly doing so ensures a pleasureable flight.

Done improperly will incur the Viper's wrath.
Things get better everyday you stay alive
then I'm amazed every day that the sun decides to rise
every minute, every hour, is another chance to change
life is beautiful & terrible & strange.
- "Take Me Home" by Concrete Blonde

#25 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:34 AM

It all started with Sea Hunt---- :diver:

Hey Plat!! I remember Sea Hunt too. :lmao:

It was great diving with you. Hope to dive with you again soon!

Likewise!

I'm trying to nail down some SH episodes on DVD, so that we can play them back during a Happy Hour for the edification of all attending.

Just imagine how much we will all learn about TV diving from the Master Himself.

Platpusman

By this time, my lungs were aching for air!------- :diver:

#26 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:38 AM

Am I the only one that actually pats the plane while pre- and post-flighting??

Patting the plane during pre- and post- flights is right out. You must gently stroke the curves lovingly as you walk around the aircraft. Properly doing so ensures a pleasureable flight.

I believe you--I've seen the Chief on the Galactica.

Platypusman
..by your command.

#27 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

It all started with Sea Hunt---- :diver:

Hey Plat!! I remember Sea Hunt too. :lmao:

It was great diving with you. Hope to dive with you again soon!

Likewise!

I'm trying to nail down some SH episodes on DVD, so that we can play them back during a Happy Hour for the edification of all attending.

Just imagine how much we will all learn about TV diving from the Master Himself.

Platpusman

By this time, my lungs were aching for air!------- :diver:

RULE #1...

wear dubs made of Balsa...

Norm

#28 Vulture

Vulture

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:46 AM

Patting the plane during pre- and post- flights is right out.  You must gently stroke the curves lovingly as you walk around the aircraft.  Properly doing so ensures a pleasureable flight. 

I believe you--I've seen the Chief on the Galactica.

Platypusman
..by your command.

While the official name for the F-16 is the "Fighting Falcon" it is called the "Viper" by all it's pilots. Definite correlation between the time it went into service and the original Battlestar Galactica series. :diver:
Things get better everyday you stay alive
then I'm amazed every day that the sun decides to rise
every minute, every hour, is another chance to change
life is beautiful & terrible & strange.
- "Take Me Home" by Concrete Blonde

#29 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:26 AM

Hmmm... I don't pat planes or my tanks, but I sure love patting my buddy's butt! They are my life support system when I'm not diving strictly with my pony. Of course I'm speaking only of the lovely ladies I dive with! Any volunteers?

Edited by drbill, 24 October 2005 - 09:27 AM.

#30 dennis mccarty

dennis mccarty

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:aow,rescue,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:9

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:30 AM

To see the pretty fishies!!! :welcome:

For me diving is a release. Ive ridden harleys for a long time, on I 10 near Budwiser,, the smell of smell of hops or yeast is so great, out in the country , feeling the air and smelling nature. Driving corvettes and enjoying speed and handling. Diving is a felling all of its own. Very personal, when im neutral and just breathing , I just let go and enjoy. Good friends, good times , great places. WOW.
Ready to go now. See ya
I really was heading north, I just went the long way around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users