• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving in Palau

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Deepdiver615

Deepdiver615

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox, Dry Suite
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:13 PM

Who has been to Palau? I'm going next week I ahd a trip to Cozumel planned... I might go on alive aboard (if I can get one) if not I'm going the hotel route. Any suggestions of hotels to go to or ones not to go to? What about live aboards?? Thanks for any information that you can provide!

#2 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:59 PM

Haven't been there but a few members have:

Scott in Palau

Brad in Palau
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#3 Deepdiver615

Deepdiver615

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

Haven't been there but a few members have:

Scott in Palau

Brad in Palau

Thank you for the information!

#4 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:06 PM

Can't go wrong either way there. I was there about 12 years ago, and stayed at the Palau Pacific Resort. At that time it was THE resort on the island, but also at that time, there were only 2 licensed dive shops...I'm sure a lot has changed.
"

#5 Deepdiver615

Deepdiver615

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:25 AM

Thank you AliKat.. PPR is one of the places we were looking at.. Guess we will call some folks on Monday.. Thanks again

#6 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:53 PM

I was in Palau back in Feb. Spent a few days on land and then did a liveaboard. Given a choice I'd go with the liveaboard. You will avoid long trips to/from the dive sites plus you will get more dives in each day on a liveaboard not to mention being the first divers on spots like blue corner. Also makes for easy night dives as well. But being in Palau you can't go wrong either way. Enjoy!

#7 MichaelF

MichaelF

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Cert Level:IDCS Insructor, EFR Instructor (AED & Infant), DSAT Gas Blender Instructor
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:49 AM

I have been there a few times, and I would definitely stay onshore, there is not a lot to do in Paulau, but there is at least a little variety in Koror, and the liveaboards go to the same dive sites that the daytrips make. The trips are 20-45 min "from the dock", and the 2 dive operators I have been with Fish & Fins, and Sam's usually put divers on boats with others of similar experience. they never have more than 8 divers/boat and may times there have been fewer 5-6. You will have a great time either way, it is some of the best diving in the world. If you like drift dives, go to Pelelui, the wall and the "Pelelui Express" are 2 great dives, there is a $20 surcharge to go down there, but it is worth ti.

Mike
Michael

#8 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:47 AM

I go every year (past 5 years) and headed back in March. You are in store for the greatest diving!

Any questions ie places to stay, restaurants, who to dive with etc. do not hesistate to contact me.
You must endeavor to pursue!

#9 Deepdiver615

Deepdiver615

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:24 AM

Well... We ended up booking on Ocean Hunter 2 for 7 days starting next week! I am also going to get Nitrox certified while I'm there.. Thanks eveyone for the responses.. I'll try to post a report when I return. Most of my diving has been in the Caribbean and PNW.. So this will be a new and exciting experience for me!! Dive safe! :birthday:

#10 MichaelF

MichaelF

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Cert Level:IDCS Insructor, EFR Instructor (AED & Infant), DSAT Gas Blender Instructor
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:03 PM

Not sure about the Ocean Hunter 2, but the original was a nice way to dive all the sites around Palau, few divers, when i was on there was only 6, and they told me the max was 8. You will have some great diving.
Michael

#11 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:38 PM

I have heard the Ocean Hunter is good. One problem Palau causes.....you will be spoiled! Most other diving will pale in comparison!

Go to the Dragon Tai or or Kramers for dinner...They are great.

#12 texasmermaid

texasmermaid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:158

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:44 PM

I was on the OH 2 last October and you are going to have a blast. If Solomon is still the cook, you will gain weight for sure! I never had time to post a complete trip report when I got back, but it is the best diving I've ever done.

The OH 2 can take 12 passengers, it is bigger than the original OH. We had 10 folks on my trip. All diving is done from the zodiacs or small tenders. If you get the chance, make sure you do the Mandarin Fish Lake dive site and Chandelier Cave. Of course Blue Corner and New Drop Off and Big Drop Off are must dives. They had the neatest dive site software (d-log software) on board that you could look at the profile of the dive sites in Palau.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Be happy to share info. :birthday:

P.S. If you have any time on the island, The Taj and Dragon Tei are restaurants you should make sure you dine at while in Koror.
I tried to contain myself, but I escaped!

#13 Deepdiver615

Deepdiver615

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:11 PM

Thanks everyone! You have helped tremendously!

Since this is my first time on a live-aboard boat... Does anyone have a feeling what a proper tip would be for the crew??

Thanks!

#14 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:08 PM

I always tip about the same as i do with DiveMasters and the boat crew.....But I assure you the will give you all the instructions before you leave the boat!

#15 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:40 PM

Actually on a liveaboard it's about 10% of the trip cost. Although I usually give around $200 for a seven day liveaboard for good to average service. I'll give more if they give really good service and/or they have a huge crew. The tip isn't just for the divemasters on a liveaboard it's for the whole crew.

You will have a great time on the Ocean Hunter 2. I did the Palau Aggressor and we saw a lot of the OH 2 as they dive a lot of the same sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users