• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Do you think fins could exacerbate a knee problem

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:05 PM

I've had these fins (I forget what they are) since around '88. In fact, they were my late husbands. I noticed after Flower Gardens over Labor Day, my left knee was hurting. I had had arthroscopic surgery on it in January 2002 to fix a torn menicus. So I rested it, did shorter workouts, and made an appointment with my orthopedist. Well, about 2 weeks ago, it was feeling fine so last Tuesday, I canceled my appointment which was scheduled for last Friday. I know stupid move because by Thursday, it was acting up again. And my Achilles tendon hurts too. I had been diving in NC the weekend before, and even though nothing hurt right after the trip, I'm wondering if it's the fins. Also, the booties are just a tad too big.

#2 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:13 PM

I've had these fins (I forget what they are) since around '88. In fact, they were my late husbands. I noticed after Flower Gardens over Labor Day, my left knee was hurting. I had had arthroscopic surgery on it in January 2002 to fix a torn menicus. So I rested it, did shorter workouts, and made an appointment with my orthopedist. Well, about 2 weeks ago, it was feeling fine so last Tuesday, I canceled my appointment which was scheduled for last Friday. I know stupid move because by Thursday, it was acting up again. And my Achilles tendon hurts too. I had been diving in NC the weekend before, and even though nothing hurt right after the trip, I'm wondering if it's the fins. Also, the booties are just a tad too big.

I dunno...

I have a PAIR of double-menicus tears (Left AND Right), long before I started Diving...Diving (except for humping up and down steps and ladders) should be relatively low-impact for the Knees, but I would be VERY SURE I had the right bootie/fin pocket combo...

Are you fluttering or frogging??

Norm

#3 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:53 PM

Both. My booties are my son's old ones. They are a 7 and they fit fine when dry, but when wet, they get big. I supposed I should try a 6. I junked my old ones because they were really crappy. Too bad gear is so darn expensive. I know what I'm buying with my $300 Christmas gift checks from work.

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 31 October 2005 - 03:06 PM

Or it's lugging all of that gear on and off the boat, the boat rocking or it could be the fins. :unsure:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:23 PM

Both. My booties are my son's old ones. They are a 7 and they fit fine when dry, but when wet, they get big. I supposed I should try a 6. I junked my old ones because they were really crappy. Too bad gear is so darn expensive. I know what I'm buying with my $300 Christmas gift checks from work.

(Ahem)

RUN (er, walk, less impact) to your LDS and get some booties that FIT...

I've been using some xcel's http://www.xcelwetsu...5dive/home.html and will stick with them until I go (maybe) to rock boots.....

(Trace, & Perrone, picture me going into EE with Funny Nose & Glasses :) )

AFTER you get proper fitting booties, now check the fin pocket...

Funny Story Time...when I demo-ed a DR 905 drysuit, not only was I WAY over inflated, resembling a Spar Buoy, but the attached boots were larger than my feet...WHEN I could get level in the water, my feet just beat against the sides of the boots, and fin propulsion was neigh impossible...

NOW, get thee to the LDS!!

:unsure:

Norm

#6 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:19 PM

I did take a couple of aspirin every dive day, as my knees are old, one survived a football injury - the other a horrible kick from a pregnant heifer (that's the one that hurts at times), and I figured it could help in case of a cardiovascular event in the water.

Now that I'm on coumadin, can't do that. Good fitting booties and fins are a must for us over 40s folks (ok, so you're not, but you will be with any luck), and it would be nice to pool test the fins to see how they feel on your knees.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#7 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:17 PM

I would venture to say bearing the extra weight of your gear on land is more strain on your knees than swimming. However, that's a function of your kick.

I would suggest purposely not using a kick that puts strain on your knees for a dive and see what happens.

-Warthog

#8 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:13 AM

I would suggest purposely not using a kick that puts strain on your knees for a dive and see what happens.

-Warthog

What kick would that be?

#9 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:18 PM

-Warthog

What kick would that be?

Discreetly tie a John line onto your buddy's tank after telling him he can lead... :o
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#10 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:42 AM

-Warthog

What kick would that be?

Discreetly tie a John line onto your buddy's tank after telling him he can lead... :welcome:

:) :2cool: :2cool:

Good SHOT!!

Norm

#11 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:49 AM

:dance: I should have done that to the dude who complained about my air consumption.

#12 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:04 PM

Ok, touché.

I meant trying to keep your knees straight (not bicycling) and not doing anything that requires you to bend your knees, like a frog kick. :dance:

#13 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:39 PM

Ok, touché.

I meant trying to keep your knees straight (not bicycling) and not doing anything that requires you to bend your knees, like a frog kick. :P

I do the frog kick most of the time. You think that adds pressure? I'd like to think that I don't bicycle though. :teeth:

#14 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:12 PM

If I were betting, I'd still go w/my first hypothesis that it's the lugging the gear around on land that is hurting your knee.

However, you don't know that's the problem until you eliminate other possibilities.

#15 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:19 PM

Could you have hurt it doing a giant stride off the boat?

I've hurt mine knee before doing just that because I landed wrong in the water

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users