• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Rite Seven-LED Back-Up Light malfunction??

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:56 PM

I recently purchased a Dive Rite Seven-LED as my back-up light. I was very excited about this light as it is compact and has 7 led bulbs in it, which shouldn't ever need replacement (advertised 100,000 hours of burn time), but even better, if one burns out - the remaining bulbs will still work. Perfect back-up light right?

Well, when practicing light failure drills, I attempted to deploy and turn on this light at about 150'. The light was checked and testing on the surface - it worked beautifully. When attempting to turn it on at that depth, it started clicking and wouldn't turn on. Looking at closely, it appeared the clicking was coming from the light head that I was twisting to turn it on. It appeared the pressure was actually forcing the head back and it was pushing so hard it was skipping threads - thus the clicking sound and why the light wouldn't turn on. The light is rated to 200'!! I really like the compact size and features of this light, but if it doesn't work at depth, then what is the point!!!?? My dive buddy has the same light and experienced the same issue.

So, I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue with this light???? Also, is there another alternative small reliable bright compact back-up light that can handle deeper depths that someone would recommend?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:15 PM

Halcyon Mini-Scout? Also Golem has introduced a VERY small light that was LED based and worked well. If you have the cash, OMS's backup HID has to be seen to be believed.

I rarely hear issues with the Scouts or Photon Torpedos. So that's what I bought.

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

I wasn't left with a good impression of Halcyon's staff or customer service after attempting to discuss one of their wing designs at DEMA in Miami a couple years ago. And given the chance to speak with Halcyon's upper management, I would be nothing less than point blank with my negative experience. Therefore, I will not purchase their products.

Do you have more info on the OMS's backup HID, like the name of the light or is the "Photon Torpedoes" the name of the light. I was confused and could not locate the light online. I like to look at light dimensions as it can't be too long or wide as I intend to carry it streamlined on my webbing on my right shoulder.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:57 PM

"Halcyon's staff or customer service" Doing it Right has never been Halcyon's customer service slogan, they are better know for lack of service and throw away wings.
I would call Dive Rite direct and ask them about the light, they do take care of their customers.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 ncdiver43

ncdiver43

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cert Level:trimix
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:12 PM

here is the OMS back up light.. http://www.omsdive.com/phantom.html the backup light is around 800 bucks and the batteries last for about a hour an a half and are not rechargeable.. so its about 25 bucks to replace the batteries.. Ive used this light several times black water diving and it works very well.. but still 90 min run time is not allot..

here is the back up light I use. Its called the "Vega" http://www.omsdive.com/lights.html Its really small an fits on my harness very well. Its a 3 watt LED and amazingly bright an last about 3 hours. these arent available yet but will be early next year.

#6 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:42 PM

I recently purchased a Dive Rite Seven-LED as my back-up light. I was very excited about this light as it is compact and has 7 led bulbs in it, which shouldn't ever need replacement (advertised 100,000 hours of burn time), but even better, if one burns out - the remaining bulbs will still work. Perfect back-up light right?

Well, when practicing light failure drills, I attempted to deploy and turn on this light at about 150'. The light was checked and testing on the surface - it worked beautifully. When attempting to turn it on at that depth, it started clicking and wouldn't turn on. Looking at closely, it appeared the clicking was coming from the light head that I was twisting to turn it on. It appeared the pressure was actually forcing the head back and it was pushing so hard it was skipping threads - thus the clicking sound and why the light wouldn't turn on. The light is rated to 200'!! I really like the compact size and features of this light, but if it doesn't work at depth, then what is the point!!!?? My dive buddy has the same light and experienced the same issue.

So, I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue with this light???? Also, is there another alternative small reliable bright compact back-up light that can handle deeper depths that someone would recommend?

I bought about 12 of them for use in my dive center, and every one of them flooded. One flooded in my pocket when I hadn't even turned it on. When I looked at them I saw the O-ring was very flimsy and was easily pushed out of position. Never experienced jumping threads with that lamp, though I've often found it with UK pistol-grip lamps.

My favourite pocket lamp has for years been the Ikelite PCa. Though if you're too generous with the silicon lube even they can flood. There's no thread holding it together so pressure has no effect on that part of it, and the switch is a swivel that is inherently unaffected by pressure. I've used them down to maybe 220' with no problem, though I'm not sure what they're rated to. I'll try one to 350' this weekend.

Edited by peterbj7, 05 December 2005 - 05:45 PM.

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:55 PM

I have used many Ikelites in the past and have a PCa, but my back-up light will not be stowed in a pocket. The PCa is unfortunately too wide for where I am placing it on my webbing beneth the right shoulder D-ring. I'm also looking for a piercing beam - needed in our waters. So I'm thinking an LED or HID would be my best options.

I'm also looking to keep my back-up less than $100. So the Phantom at $800 is ludicrous as a back-u plight and would be even more expensive than my primary light not too mention no way of stowing it on my harness unless I mistaking the light that was being suggested?

Edited by Dive_Girl, 05 December 2005 - 05:57 PM.

#8 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:19 PM

Nicolle,

I had a Pelican that flooded and corroded on me.

I currently use a little UK that I attached with gutted parachute cord to a double-ended snap. It has a fairly narrow beam, is cheap, and hasn't flooded on me yet.

I like the Halcyon the best (I don't own one yet but would buy one in the future) but I haven't dealt with their customer service department yet.

Tony

#9 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:00 PM

I cannot share your opinion of Halcyon. I own their products and talk to upper management every few weeks. I have had nothing but positive experiences. I'm sorry you had a poor experience.

The Photon Torpedo is produced by someone else, it's a direct competitor to the Halcyon Scout, has double o-ring seals, and is used by a LOT of folks I know for wrecks and deep diving. I've not heard a single instance of them flooding or failing. http://www.cnsales.n...torpedopage.htm

I agree the OMS light is ridiculous. Just tossed it out there. Did you look for the light by Golem gear? It's called the Lola. http://www.golemgear...c-4-lights.aspx

You might also look into Salvo Diving's new backup light. I don't know a lot about it so take that for what it's worth. Barry makes awesome canister lights, but I would bet he's rebranding these.
http://www.salvodivi...backup_lighting

Best of luck.

#10 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:25 AM

On a suggestion from no less an authority than JR, I've moved to the UK 2L....

http://www.pbase.com.../image/51222106

..you can JUST see this small yet powerful b/u on the left shoulder of my rig...

http://www.pbase.com...52741992/medium

Norm

I have used many Ikelites in the past and have a PCa, but my back-up light will not be stowed in a pocket. The PCa is unfortunately too wide for where I am placing it on my webbing beneth the right shoulder D-ring. I'm also looking for a piercing beam - needed in our waters. So I'm thinking an LED or HID would be my best options.

I'm also looking to keep my back-up less than $100. So the Phantom at $800 is ludicrous as a back-u plight and would be even more expensive than my primary light not too mention no way of stowing it on my harness unless I mistaking the light that was being suggested?

#11 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:10 PM

The seven LED light has a reputation for having problems (especially with flooding). Note that even the largest retailer of Dive Rite products adds a special note about this light on its web page: http://www.diveritee.../backuplt.shtml. The bit about needing to frequently lube the o-ring is more of a covering of their behinds instead of addressing a quite common issue with this light. This is further supported by the fact that, on the same web page, they now have come out with yet a new backup light (rather than admiting that there is a problem with this one IMHO) that does not require this frequent lubing.

Since the subject came up, I have three Halcyon lights. After about a year of use with my main HID light, a problem developed in the cord. I sent the light back. It was fixed with just over a week of turn time (which includes a couple of days for shipping each way), and the repair was done for no charge as a warranty issue. I have had no problems with my other two Scout backup lights.

Perhaps I have just had a run of relatively good luck with Halcyon lights. I have friends that have had lights that have been sent back for repairs several times.

I just bought two of the Golem backup lights. http://www.golemgear...ckup-light.aspx. Golem was just at the Palm Beach Dive Show, and they have a special running on their backup lights during December: 10 percent off and free shipping. Just enter NACD1112 in the promotion code section of the checkout and pay window for your discount. That brings their price to $76.50.

In case you were wondering, here is the reason that I am switching from Halcyon to Golem for my backup lights: Now that I am going to be diving a rebreather, space on my harness will really be eaten up. So, I am switching to smaller lights. Though Halcyon makes a smaller version of the Scout that is LED, I really like these Golem lights better, and they are $76.50 compared to about $120 each. I have a friend that has been diving these lights for a while now, and he is very impressed with them so far.

The Golem lights are so popular that they are completely sold out of them. The next batch will ship in January. Word to the wise . . . .

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 06 December 2005 - 11:20 PM.

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#12 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:52 PM

I've had great customer service from EE/Halcyon in High Springs. Gosh, I love that place. Now, I know what adult bookstores must be like for perverts!

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:11 AM

I like the Golem suggestions.

As for those of you who have had great experiences with the "higher ups" in Halcyon, please feel free to pass along my contact information. I would look forward to the opportunity to discuss my interaction with their employees. Manufacturers should be held accountable, I know I am.

#14 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:11 PM

I agree the DiveRites are Crap. I am not sure what OMS is selling now but a year or two ago it was the same light as DR As said before DR will take care of customers but I cant be bothered getting something warrentied that often. I now use a UK MiniQ40 LED version I find UK lights tend to fail sooner or later but they do honor their warrenty. TekTite also make some good lights and have good customer service.

Cheers Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#15 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:52 AM

I wasn't left with a good impression of Halcyon's staff or customer service after attempting to discuss one of their wing designs at DEMA in Miami a couple years ago. And given the chance to speak with Halcyon's upper management, I would be nothing less than point blank with my negative experience. Therefore, I will not purchase their products

I had a rather esoteric phone conversation with them recently. I wanted to buy a DSMB (safety sausage deployed underwater) that met a few conditions - enough buoyancy to use as an ascent platform, orange, an open bell bottom that could be inflated with any second stage, a one-way valve to prevent air escaping, a over-pressure dump valve. I have one that meets all those conditions, but it's made by AP Valves in England and it's difficult to get here in Belize. From pictures on their website I thought one or more Halcyon products might fill the bill. But all the way through the conversation I was left with an overpowering sense that I wasn't giving them the answers they wanted. For example, when I said I wanted a bell bottom to inflate using a second stage they said "we don't teach that". To which I said that nonetheless that was what I wanted.

They said they teach to use "your inflator hose". When I asked which hose that was, they said "your dry suit hose". So it seems they're oriented towards cold water diving, even tho' they're in Florida. I didn't ask whether they thought it desirable for a diver to disconnect the drysuit feed (have you ever tried reconnecting it with gloves on in cold water?). I just didn't buy anything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users