• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Pony Bottle Flooded

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:01 PM

I just went to detach my 13 cu ft Luxfer pony bottle from its mount so I could take it over to have it hydro'ed. It was heavier than normal and when I shook it, there was LOTS of water inside (about half full). Not sure how long it has been sitting like that, possibly 2-4 weeks since it was out of hydro and I wasn't using it.

Questions for those who are in the know:

1. How should I best deal with the flooded cylinder? I removed the Thermo valve and have the open tank and valve soaking in hot fresh water right now.

2. Do you think the tank will be worth hydro'ing?

3. Should I do anything else with the valve itself to ensure its usability (I can always use a spare if the tank is no good)?

4. Has anyone else had problems with the Luxfer 13 cu ft pony and Thermo valves? This one had trouble retaining a fill within months after I purchased it. I had the neck ring replaced numerous times, but it still failed (leaking) which may have been due to electrolysis of the tank valve seat (I dive steel primary cylinders). The valve itself often did not seal properly over the last year or so.

I've purchased a new Catalina pony since I'm not happy with the Luxfer. The neck never seemed to seal properly after the first 10 months of use.

Thanks for any suggestions from the equipment techies... although I dive incessantly, I'm really just a marine biologist who dives, not a seasoned equipment monkey.

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 13 December 2005 - 06:22 PM

I just had my 14al hydro'd, VIP'd, filled and the K-valve rebuilt for $50, you can buy a new tank online with VIP for $95 or contact DRCKW, she has a black 19al that she doesn't use that's due for hydro.
If the tank flooded you might want to check your pony reg too, you may have saltwater in the first stage.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 13 December 2005 - 06:51 PM

If it's aluminum, it is not likely a big deal. If it is steel, it all depends on how bad the rust is inside.

If it is steel, and you have been soaking it, do not put it back into an air environment. It will make the rust worse when the steel reacts. Keep it in water until you turn it over to your LDS. They can take care of the steel in order make sure that the rust doesn't form or get worse.

A new valve will run about $50 for 300 bar, and less for 200 bar. It is not a big deal to rebuild it. However, you should get an estimate of what it will cost compared to buying a new one.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 13 December 2005 - 06:55 PM.

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#4 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:41 PM

Yep, first thing I did was take the pony reg in for servicing with a description of what had happened. It definitely had salt water coursing through both stages.

Fortunately it was an Al pony bottle so I'm not as worried about the effect of the flooding on it. I'm more concerned with the fact that the neck hasn't sealed properly in several years and that there is so much pitting and corrosion on the tank surface (which I still think is due to electrolysis).

Off tomorrow to take the pony over and give a dive club talk to the Dive n' Surf dive team.

#5 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 14 December 2005 - 06:22 AM

Doc,

I'm fixing to have an extra Thermo K (my pair of 85's come with them whether I want them or no...)

Interestingly enough, one IS slated to go on my Buddy AL40, and the other will be homeless...PM if you are interested!

Norm

Yep, first thing I did was take the pony reg in for servicing with a description of what had happened. It definitely had salt water coursing through both stages.

Fortunately it was an Al pony bottle so I'm not as worried about the effect of the flooding on it. I'm more concerned with the fact that the neck hasn't sealed properly in several years and that there is so much pitting and corrosion on the tank surface (which I still think is due to electrolysis).

Off tomorrow to take the pony over and give a dive club talk to the Dive n' Surf dive team.

#6 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:30 PM

"Fortunately it was an Al pony bottle so I'm not as worried about the effect of the flooding on it. I'm more concerned with the fact that the neck hasn't sealed properly in several years and that there is so much pitting and corrosion on the tank surface (which I still think is due to electrolysis)."

There is a tool(the name escapes me) that looks like a 2 flute end mill with a pilot which fits into a drillpress(hand drill in a pinch) which cleans up the sealing surface .As long as the pitting isn't bad this will fix it up and your good to go.

Eric

#7 Scott

Scott

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1000+ (I have fallen into a bad habbit of only logging dives not involved with work lately.)

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:25 PM

What did you discover in the dive shop? Was the water getting in through your 1st stage or through the diaphram at the neck?

If it is the neck I would ask the dive shop to cover the costs. If it is through your 1st stage I would have every reg I used checked out at a different shop (assuming that you've had annual maint. performed) before diving where you can't do a safe, no-air ascent.
A gal at a bar recently told me I was acting weird...I told her,
" I bet you would act even more weird than me if you were 5 atmospheres higher than you prefer."
She didn't get it.
Her loss.

#8 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:46 AM

To update this. I'm putting the cylinder in my Dr. Bill's Museum of Diving, having the valve rebuilt (for the cost of the parts) and my new 19 cu ft pony is due to arrive tomorrow. Not willing to play with the old one any more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users