• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

ok, a semi-serious about finning?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:36 AM

ok, been trying to improve my skills, especially with my ongoing decompression course.

Bouyancy is good, trim is good, valve drills are ok, but improving.

The thing that I have been having trouble with is my frog kicks! I'm using IDI power fins, and love them, but when I switch from flutter kicking to frog kicking, I just can't seem to get any power out of my strokes! I can helecopter turn, and even back up ok, but going forward is pathetically slow, and in a current, FORGET IT!

Any advice from the masses on common mistakes that I might be making??? :fish2:
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#2 DivingGal

DivingGal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:19 AM

Have you had a buddy check how you're doing the kick u/w? What you think you're doing, may not be what you're doing.

That being said, I find the force of the kick generated from the legs when they're brought together on what I call the start of the glide stroke.

Wait for Walter's explaination -- he's got a great kick. His pal MB as well. When either use the kick it's like poetry -- I swear.
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:54 AM

Hey CD...this is an excellent thread...it has overlays to cave diving... fresh water diving and my favorite...NC WRECK AND SHARK DIVING!!! Yes sometimes we have a silt bottom and it is so nice when people have good finning or kicking skills so that they don't stir up the bottom!

And I too am trying to learn and feel its not comfortable for me to change kick styles so I'm eagerally awaiting some suggestions as well!

DGal...I'll have someone look at my kick when I'm diving this weekend...thanks for the suggestion!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:02 PM

Yea, WW, I wanna swim behind you so I can look at your butt while you fin!!! WooHoo!!! j/k!!!
Sempar Partus!!

#5 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:03 PM

:D

#6 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:14 PM

Ok, going back to the TOPIC at hand!!!

Mastering the frog kick is tough. It definitely helps to have someone observe you kicking, and giving you feedback as to want your legs, knees, and fins are doing. Its most likely that you are not positioning everything correctly to get maximum thrust. Its hard to correct something when you dont know what you are doing wrong, but take a look at some of the videos on frog kicks available on the net, and then try to have your buddy tell you what you are doing wrong. Like anything, practice makes perfect, but being shown how to do something the right way is key.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#7 AndrewJD

AndrewJD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced, DIR-F
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:19 PM

It's difficult to give you advice without actually seeing what you're doing. The only thing that I can think of is that your fins may not be perpendicular to the direction they are moving through the water. This would reduce the amount of thrust that your are getting. Here is a good video of a frog kick.

Frog Kick Video

Jonathan

#8 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:26 PM

thanks for the video!
ok, so here's my admission of ignorance for you guys:

when i frog kick (which is most of the time cuz i find it comfortable), i'm usually just cruisin'. i guess i would think if you needed to get somewhere in a hurry, a frog kick isn't the stroke you'd use. i'd think a good stong flutter...
granted, i am not a "tech" (there's that word again!) or wreck or cave diver, so i don't know...

teach me something, men :D

ohdeargod, i opened myself up for that one, huh??

i was actually being serious lubold!!! please don't hate me!!!!

Edited by triggerfish, 18 May 2004 - 12:31 PM.

#9 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:26 PM

Hey, thanks for posting the video.
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#10 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:31 PM

Yea, WW, I wanna swim behind you so I can look at your butt while you fin!!! WooHoo!!! j/k!!!

:D So I guess I'm second in line for this job?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#11 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:34 PM

I need help with my frog kick too! In all seriousness, this kick is better in cave diving? I will def. need help learning this one then. I tend to have trouble with jsut a regular kick...maybe i'm doing something wrong.
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#12 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:35 PM

Hard to tell without seeing you kicking, but my guess is you might be dropping your knees when you kick. I'll second the other opinions, have a buddy watch the video, then watch you for a comparison.

I use the frog even in powerful currents with no problems, so I know there is power in the kick when done correctly. I only flutter on the surface anymore.

#13 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:36 PM

One of the most useful things I've come across is to have someone use an underwater video camera on you. I had someone do this for me because I was trying to streamline my profile and I was shocked at the difference between what I thought I looked like and what I actually looked like. The result? I had a friend whose air consumption matched mine and the last time we dove together he ended the dive with about 550 psi and I finished with 1300.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#14 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:40 PM

I need help with my frog kick too! In all seriousness, this kick is better in cave diving? I will def. need help learning this one then. I tend to have trouble with jsut a regular kick...maybe i'm doing something wrong.

You'll definately want to master the frog for caving. I think as you gain more time and experiance in the water, SH, you'll have less trouble with any of the kicks. You'll reach a point where you can "feel" exactly what your fins are doing, even though you can't see them.

Talk to yourself in another 100 dives or so.

#15 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:42 PM

I'm not sure my self can wait that long, but good advice Darth
~Jacques Cousteau

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users