• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Would you stay with the boat?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:30 PM

I would like to pose a question to everyone here and see what you think. Here it is.

You are on a dive boat headed to a site off-shore, you are about 3-4 miles from land when the motor cuts out. The crew is unable to get it restarted so now the boat is drifting away from land.

Over the next few moments, you discover that the boat does not have a functioning radio or signal flares. The crew attempts to stop the drifting by tossing the anchor overboard but then it is discovered that the anchor chain was so rusted that the anchor broke off. The boat continues to drift.

Now you find yourself in a dilemma. You do not know if other boats are out there, the seas are a little rough after a storm had passed to the north hours before, but you can still see land. The captain also informs you that there is no other land mass that the boat is drifting towards. For all you know, you are headed out to sea.

Do you stay with the boat or do you get out in your dive gear and try to make a swim for the island?

This actually happened a couple of months ago in Belize. Four divers decided to get off the boat and make a swim for the island. The currents separated them and then took them out of sea where they drifted for three days and two nights. Three of them were eventually rescued, one of them did not make although her body was recovered.

It is easy to play Monday morning quarterback but I always believed you always stay with the boat unless it is going down, especially if you are more than a mile from land. At the same time, if a boat is going to take people out, it should always be in good working order and have a functioning radio and signal flares. Reading the reports, evidently in some of these third-world countries, the onus is on the customer to make sure these safety measures are in place.

I will also make sure I have every signaling device I can carry on me. That includes a see-me sausage, a signaling mirror, and a dive-alert whistle which is attached to the BC inflator. I have all three.

Last thing, the boat went out on a day no other operators went out due to small craft warnings. Hurricane Wilma had passed several hundred miles north earlier that day and waters were still pretty rough.
-Mitch-

#2 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:34 PM

Ignoring the obvious "I wouldn't get on the boat in the first place" You stay with the boat, no question about it.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#3 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:41 PM

I would stay with the boat as long as I could throw the captain and crew overboard.

When I get on a boat, I generally check it to see its condition and the presence of safety and communications equipment. A boat in the sorry state described here would undoubtedly show many signs of disrepair and poor maintenance that should give one clues to investigate further before going out with it.

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:44 PM

Every survival guide tells you to stay with the boat or plane, it's a lot easier to find a boat drifting in the ocean than a diver.
Remember, a lot of places we dive there is no Coast Guard type organization available, the only people looking for you will probably be another dive boat.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 ledgedive

ledgedive

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Cert Level:open
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:53 PM

stay with the boat definately - i normally carry my back up vhs radio and gps in my day bag when i fish or dive off someone elses boat - JUST incase

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:18 PM

stay with the boat definately - i normally carry my back up vhs radio and gps in my day bag when i fish or dive off someone elses boat - JUST incase

Really! What a good thought. Approx how much would these items run if someone were thinking of adding them to the *ultimate* save a dive kit??? And how big are they? Many boats do have restrictions on weight limits and of course this would be most suited for US based destinations...getting that kind of equipment thru customs on a dive trip might prove difficult. :taz:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:20 PM

Boat - always, even if it's awash it's MUCH easier to spot. Plus the thermal equation says the water always wins. A guy in WWII survived 30 days in a raft in the pacific.

Here's a question related to the actual event - would you take your gear if you decided to swim for it?

I think the answer is yes if you first lose the tank and regs - you want the flotation at the price of the drag - but I'm not 100% sure of that trade. It might be possible to swim to shore if you weren't held back by your gear - but if you misjudge - you really want the flotation.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#8 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:55 PM

Never had a problem getting my Garmin GPS thru Homeland Insecurity...just be SURE you have good batteries if they ask you to power it up...the difficulty is carrying the GPS on a Dive Boat...MANY Capts will frown on this as they suspect you are using it to crib their Numbers...

As a Ham licensee, I ALWAYS carry a HT which has been mod-ed to operate on Marine VHF freqs...

73 de Norm KE4GAH

Really! What a good thought. Approx how much would these items run if someone were thinking of adding them to the *ultimate* save a dive kit??? And how big are they? Many boats do have restrictions on weight limits and of course this would be most suited for US based destinations...getting that kind of equipment thru customs on a dive trip might prove difficult. :taz:

#9 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

I have a GPS that is about the size of a cell phone and it was about $150. I don't know about a VHS radio but I carry my cell phone as well.

#10 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

Never had a problem getting my Garmin GPS thru Homeland Insecurity...[/quote]

Homeland Security isn't the issue with GPS; its the OTHER country. Six or 7 years ago there was a guy from QualComm on a business trip to Russia. He took his GPS. He was arrested and spent several weeks tyring to convice the Russians that his GPS was NOT a spy instrument. QualComm finally got him home, but I bet he never travels out of the country with a GPS again!
"

#11 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:52 PM

Stay with the boat. And from a guy that has actually thrown the captain from the wheel house (mutinied if you will and it's a long story actually best told over a few beers). Keel haul the crew.

Edited by Dennis, 22 December 2005 - 07:53 PM.

DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#12 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:24 PM

Ask about these issues before even reserving on the boat. However, assuming that you are on a boat that had these functioning and then they died somehow on your way out, you should still stay with the boat.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 22 December 2005 - 09:24 PM.

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#13 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:24 PM

And from a guy that has actually thrown the captain from the wheel house (mutinied if you will and it's a long story actually best told over a few beers).

Enquiring minds want to know so go ahead and tell us, Dennis!

#14 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:09 AM

Absolutely stay with the boat -- you will have a better chance to be seen by a rescue team -- and stay warmer longer.

Ugh - what a nightmare to think something like that could happen.
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#15 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:33 AM

From what I have read about this incident, it was a series of mishaps that compounded each other. Of course, none of us were there so we do not really know what happened but I know enough to know that when a hurricane, especially the size that Wilma was, passes through, it affects the waters within a several-hundred-mile radius. As I pointed out, none of the other dive operators went out that day, the groups of divers/snorkelers went from one shop-to-another finding someone who would go out. Whether they knew there was a category-4 hurricane passing just to the north, it did not say. If I know there is that kind of storm in the area, I am not going out.

The motor did cut out twice on the way out, but someone was able to get the motor going again. He was dropped off at the small island with a group of snorkelers. The motor cut out the third time and that is when all hell broke loose. No one could get it restarted, then it went from there.

I will note that the same operator had another incident about a year ago when a boat they were running capsized dumping 10 divers into the water. No one was injured in that incident. They were also operating without a license as it has been suspended after that incident. Also, the divers were found by the Belize counterpart to the US Coast Guard. The operator has since been shut down by the Belize Board of Tourism.

I do think the divers showed bad judgement by getting off the boat and trying to swim for the island. However, if the boat had been in good working order with a functioning radio, safety flares, and a good anchor to begin with, it would have never came to that.

Edited by Mitch0129, 23 December 2005 - 12:35 AM.

-Mitch-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users