• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

HELP! I Can't Breathe!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

Caetlonn,
Not sure of you exact location but FYI the West Vancouver Aquatic Center runs stroke clinics for $15 and its an hour long.Last one I went to was just me so it worked out as a great deal.The other plus it is a brand new facility that doesn't need to cholorinate the water to keep it clean(I hate pool chlorine).
I think that being comfortable in the water will go along way to making swimming underwater easier along with the better your physical fittness the less effort required thus the longer your breath will last.
If you need a spotter let me know cause I should also work on my breath-holding and we could trade off.

Eric

Eric, Thx for the info and your offer! My apologies for taking so long to get back to you.

I checked the Leisure Guide online for the West Van pool to find out more about these stroke clinics. As the only one that interested me was the front crawl, I don't think I'll attend since it seemed to only be running once or twice a season. I don't think that'll be much benefit to me. (Also, West Van is too out-of-the-way for me.)

If you ever decide to come slummin' downtown, my pool -- the YWCA which is ALSO ozonated (:banghead:) -- has Friendly Fridays on the last Friday of every month. I could get you in for free, I believe. I haven't been to the gym in almost 2 months so unless there's been some changes, I'm assuming this policy still holds. One of the great things about the Y is NO KIDS! (Except for brief periods on Sat/Sun afternoons.)

I'm planning on taking some private lessons at UBC's pool. (Again, out-of-the-way, but the swimming instructors at the Y aren't very good.)

annasea...come visit..I will give you lessons

Thank you for the offer, finley, but Texas is WAY too out-of-the-way! :teeth:

#32 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:27 AM

Catelon,
That would mean crossing the bridge....
I'm game as long as the pool isn't heavily chlorinated.From now till the end of the first wek in Feb I'll be traveling but after that thing die down.
Get your self good swim googles,the kind that look like a mask with no nose pocket as opposed to the little round things.

Eric

#33 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:33 PM

Catelon,
That would mean crossing the bridge....

Yeah, so? It goes both ways. :lmao:

I'm game as long as the pool isn't heavily chlorinated.From now till the end of the first wek in Feb I'll be traveling but after that thing die down.

No worries, the Y's pool is ozonated just like West Van's. And did I mention NO KIDS? (:lmao:)

Get your self good swim googles,the kind that look like a mask with no nose pocket as opposed to the little round things.

I've never heard of such a mask. I've got "the little round things" courtesy of Speedo -- to match my suit! Other than design, what's the difference?

#34 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:52 PM

I have a TYR Hydrovision for swimming...the lenses are bigger so I have better vision when swimming...not to mention that it's more comfortable too!

#35 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

The mask I use is made by a company called aqua sphere www.aquasphereusa.com
A friend of mine does triathlones and put me on to them.The pros are... more comfortable plus better field of vision.
The no kids is a big plus....
My Miami trip been put on hold so I'll be around for the last Friday of Jan(barring any sudden changes)so that gives you a couple weeks to practice

Eric

#36 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:07 AM

I have a TYR Hydrovision for swimming...the lenses are bigger so I have better vision when swimming...not to mention that it's more comfortable too!

The mask I use is made by a company called aqua sphere www.aquasphereusa.com
A friend of mine does triathlones and put me on to them.The pros are... more comfortable plus better field of vision.
The no kids is a big plus....
My Miami trip been put on hold so I'll be around for the last Friday of Jan(barring any sudden changes)so that gives you a couple weeks to practice

Thx for the info, Kim and Eric! Although I must say, better field of vision (I can't see much without my glasses anyway) and comfort (I don't swim laps at the moment so I'm never wearing goggles for extended periods of time) aren't huge factors for me at the moment.

Eric, I'm not sure what my schedule is like yet for the last Friday -- plus I need to check and see that the Friendly Fridays policy is still in place... I haven't been to the gym in 2 months -- but I'll let you know as soon as I know.

#37 NigerHadiza

NigerHadiza

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:18

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:01 PM

When I did my OW course in Australia, I don't remember having to swim 15M under the water. We had to swim for 200M on top of the water. Is this a new thing in the U.S? Just curious! Sorry!

#38 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

When I did my OW course in Australia, I don't remember having to swim 15M under the water. We had to swim for 200M on top of the water. Is this a new thing in the U.S? Just curious! Sorry!

Hey Stranger... :cool1: back!

To answer your question... No, it's not a new thing but it is a requirement for YMCA's OW. (Theirs is the one I'm hoping to do.) I'm guessing you did your course with PADI? :P PADI still has the requirement of a 200M swim and 10 min survival float.

Eric,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you but are you still interested in going to the Y this Friday night? I called to check if their Friendly Fridays were still in place and they are. Let me know. (If not this Friday, there's another one in 4 weeks, I believe.)

#39 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:15 PM

Eric,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you but are you still interested in going to the Y this Friday night? I called to check if their Friendly Fridays were still in place and they are. Let me know. (If not this Friday, there's another one in 4 weeks, I believe.)

I'll be working late this Friday as work is sending me to Miami on Monday so next month is looking good.

Eric

#40 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:28 PM

Eric,

I'll be working late this Friday as work is sending me to Miami on Monday so next month is looking good.

Eric

(heaving a sigh of relief since I haven't been in the pool in over 2 months :)) Too bad! :cool2: Maybe next month or the one after. Keep me posted as to your schedule. (The Friendly Fridays are the last Friday of every month.)

Have a wonderful time in Miami! If you're going to be there for a few days and have time to spare, you might want to connect with ScubaDadMiami, he's in Miami Beach. (Not sure how close that is to Miami though. :thankyou:)

#41 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:38 PM

Hmmm... Caetllonn. Just consider underwater swimming as one of life's highlights, you know... the type that take your breath away!

Just feeling feisty after finishing my Calimari Concupiscence episode for my cable TV program tonight... and eating half of a well barbqued tri tip. Burp!

#42 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:57 PM

Burp!

:cool2: :) :taz:

And you wonder why you didn't stand a chance... :thankyou:

:P

#43 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:57 AM

(heaving a sigh of relief since I haven't been in the pool in over 2 months :)) Too bad! :cool2: Maybe next month or the one after. Keep me posted as to your schedule. (The Friendly Fridays are the last Friday of every month.)

Have a wonderful time in Miami! If you're going to be there for a few days and have time to spare, you might want to connect with ScubaDadMiami, he's in Miami Beach. (Not sure how close that is to Miami though. :thankyou:)

Its a good news(hey your going to Miami) bad news(we're not going to give you enough time to do the work required)
I'll be down installing equiptment and will have a better idea after I've been there a couple day.I'll post when I have a better idea of the chaos.I'll be bringing snorkeling gear on the off chance things allow me a chance.The job is on Collis Ave(5900 area) and I'll be staying in that area.
Well you got a month reprive so better get in the pool cause come summer we'll go swim the Pacfic.

Eric

#44 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:58 PM

Well you got a month reprive so better get in the pool cause come summer we'll go swim the Pacfic.

Oh, really?! Why, Eric, we haven't even met yet and already you're planning a trip to Tahiti! (:cool2:)

On another note, I'll be starting my private u/w swimming lessons this Saturday at UBC. Wish me luck! :diver:

#45 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:48 AM

Oh, really?! Why, Eric, we haven't even met yet and already you're planning a trip to Tahiti! (:cool2:)

On another note, I'll be starting my private u/w swimming lessons this Saturday at UBC. Wish me luck! :diver:

Well Vanautu holds more appeal and intrest if I'm going that far but thats not what I had in mind but thats not to say I'm open to new ideas.
Have fun at UBC pool and if it's anything like I remember it will help get you ready for local summer pacific diving.Did I mention my hotel in Miami is right across the street from the Atlantic so here is hoping its warm enough to swim in

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users