• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Mask Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

I have a really great mask, but its got a small problem. I have mold issues. Does anybody have an idea on how to get my mask clean again, without destroying the silicone. I have tryed a mild bleach and water solution, and that didn't work. I was thinking about borax, but I don't know what that will do to the strap. I need your help.
Thanks
Patrick
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#2 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:56 PM

I have a really great mask, but its got a small problem. I have mold issues. Does anybody have an idea on how to get my mask clean again, without destroying the silicone. I have tryed a mild bleach and water solution, and that didn't work. I was thinking about borax, but I don't know what that will do to the strap. I need your help.
Thanks
Patrick

haven't dealt with that but I would think an algaecide like from lowes or home depot
who's leading this parade anyway?

#3 Dive_buddy

Dive_buddy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:198

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:09 PM

Thanks
Patrick

I was told to use an "algae control" product for freshwater aquarium fish. Mix it up like you would for the aquarium and soak the mask overnight. I don't know if it works or not, I've never had mold or algae in my mask (yet).
Olympic diving is a sport. Scuba diving is an obsession.

#4 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

They have products for this type of thing at most dive stores.

#5 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:51 AM

Virkon works well. http://www.diveritee...rs/virkon.shtml

Attached Images

• virkonbottle.jpg

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#6 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:55 AM

Wouldn't it just be easier to ensure that it's clean and dry before putting it away to avoid the problem in the first place?

I use toothpaste to clean my ask after each day of diving and let it air dry completely before putting it away till the next dive. It works great! It removes all the oils left from your skin on the seal, removes all the residue left on the lens and even helps to keep my mask from fogging the next time I use it.

#7 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:25 AM

Wouldn't it just be easier to ensure that it's clean and dry before putting it away to avoid the problem in the first place?

I use toothpaste to clean my ask after each day of diving and let it air dry completely before putting it away till the next dive. It works great! It removes all the oils left from your skin on the seal, removes all the residue left on the lens and even helps to keep my mask from fogging the next time I use it.

Yes it would be easier, but that would mean that everyday I dive I would have to carry all my gear home, instead of leaving it on the boat. If I had a car that might happen, but I ride a motorbike. I can do it no problem, I guess I'm just lazy. Most of my gear gets a freshwater shower, and packed in a mesh bag to "dry" at the dive shop. Dry here is a relative term. The humidity here is worse than Houston. I am going to try that Virkon. Thanks everybody for the help.
Patrick
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users