• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Maldives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:45 AM

:thankyou: Anyone been to the Maldives?...I am checking this out for 2007.

Best time of the year to go?
Best Island for diving?
What do you see?

Thanks for sny info.
You must endeavor to pursue!

#2 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

:wakawaka: Anyone been to the Maldives?...I am checking this out for 2007.

I had never even heard of Maldives before but then recently found out that the worlds first underwater restaurant opened there in April 2005 (http://www.divenews....rticle&sid=3561). The name of the restaurant is "Ithaa" and it is at the Hilton Maldives Resort & Spa. More information about the construction can be found at http://www.mjmurphy....arestaurant.htm.

Edited by ScubaGypsy, 18 January 2006 - 11:07 PM.

The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#3 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:20 PM

:wakawaka: Anyone been to the Maldives?...I am checking this out for 2007.

Best time of the year to go?
Best Island for diving?
What do you see?

Thanks for sny info.

I've not been there before. The tsunami that struck on Boxing Day 2004 may have damaged/destroyed some of their facilities.
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#4 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:10 AM

Singapore Jenny went there last October and loved it.

An instructor friend of mine now in Beijing taught there for six months. He said the diving was great but the social life was terrible... most of the folks going there were couples, often honeymooners. Take a buddy with you.

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:17 AM

Did a one week liveaboard there a few years ago, starting fr0om Male (where the airport is) and covering two atolls south of it. So in other words just the SE corner. The diving was amazing, far better than I have ever seen anywhere else. Strong currents, with many coral ergs not coming quite to the surface, definitely not "beginners" diving. But not necessarily expert either. Very warm water - it was 34C when I was there, which I think is somewhere around 93F! Copious wildlife - I remember single dives with numerous hammerheads (at least 20) and many large turtles. Allegedly many mantas, though I never saw one (nor ever have before or since - sob!).

I really can't recommend the Maldives strongly enough, especially since as global sea levels rise the entire country will disappear. No part of it is more than 3' above sea level and it is (or was) the only country in the world with an official total evacuation plan. A number of its islands disappeared permanently in the tsunami. I don't know what packages exist from the US, but you'll find packages easy to get from London and it's pretty easy to get there from the US.

Edited by peterbj7, 19 January 2006 - 01:19 AM.

#6 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:53 AM

Peter,

Sounds like great diving...from a liveaboard....but I am not a liveaboard person...do you know any of the Islands that may have the type of diving you saw from the liveaboard? Have you dove Palau? If so how do you compare. also what time of the year were you there?

I have heard the Maldives is overdove because of all the Europeans that dive there but I read a recent report from Undercurrent that was exceptional...but it was on a liveaboard :wakawaka: So I am in hopes someone will have heads up on an Island that is great!

Thanks everyone else for the info...keep it coming.
You must endeavor to pursue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users