• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Storing equipment

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NigerHadiza

NigerHadiza

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:18

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:03 AM

Hello. I only have wetsuits (3MM full and a 5MM shorty thermal), fins and mask/snorkel. What is the best way to store these items for long-term? It looks like I won't be going diving for a while (not till May) and they are currently in a closet and in a bag. Anything that I should do special? Just curious. Also, I don't go diving enough to buy a BCD (or atleast I feel). When is the best time to buy one (i.e. after how many dives, etc)?

#2 Dive_buddy

Dive_buddy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:198

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:56 AM

Hello. I only have wetsuits (3MM full and a 5MM shorty thermal), fins and mask/snorkel. What is the best way to store these items for long-term? It looks like I won't be going diving for a while (not till May) and they are currently in a closet and in a bag. Anything that I should do special? Just curious. Also, I don't go diving enough to buy a BCD (or atleast I feel). When is the best time to buy one (i.e. after how many dives, etc)?

I'll take my stab at this.

First, make sure that what ever you are storing is clean and dry. Store away from excessive heat or cold.

Hanging: wet suits do not like wire hangers as it damages the neoprene. If you are going to hang them use a wet suit hanger, or some type of wide hanger, like the ones that men's suits hang on. Just as long as it is wide where the shoulders go over the hanger. Oh and if you don't normally turn your wet suit(s) inside out, do it long term storage. This makes it easy to see if any bugs or spiders have made a home in your suit.

Folding wet suits for storage, not a great idea. The resulting creases will weaken the suit and that is where you will get your first holes or tears. Instead, try rolling the up, kind of like a sleeping bag. But leave an opening in the center so you are not creasing any part of the suit. Some people lay them flat, on an excersise mat, under the bed.

Regulators: This is a great time to take them in for service. You won't be using them soon, and when they come back from service, they are (or should be) clean and dry. Most wet suit hangers have a place to clamp your 1st stage to. This is a good way to keep the reg from getting banged around. But it does put some long term stress on the hoses. You can loosely coil the hoses and store the reg in a box, or a padded carry bag. I have mine laid out on a shelf in my closet.

BCs: Should be hung up and dry. Here is the trick, getting the inside dry. If you can get the inside dry, then leaving it without any pressure in it is okay. Such as if you chose to leave the fill/dump hose, and any dump valve off during storage. If you can't get the inside completely dry, then leave enough air in it to keep the oppose t sides of the bladder from touching, and possibly sticking. And be ready to feed it a tick tack in the spring. If you can't hang it up I recommend putting a pillow inside it to keep it from getting flattened.
Fins, booties, gloves and hoods. Most of these can be easily stored on a shelf or even in a spare drawer, or a box. Try not to stand the fins on the tips as this may bend them. Avoid setting booties on a bare basement floor. The damp doesn't really hurt them, but it sure does not help them either.

Snorkels: (If you have em) Plug it! Both ends. Snorkels seem to be the preferred place for spiders to nest in over the winter. Nuff said.

Masks: Clean them very good and get all of the creases, crevices and such. Make sure they are dry and then store them in the plastic case they came in. And no, coating the inside of the len(s) with sea drops is not a good way to store them.

Tanks: Wanna see me start an argument? All I gotta do is say “The ONLY way to store tanks is to....” There are 2 ways to store tanks. Full or empty. And when I say empty I mean low on air but with some pressure in the tank (500 psi maybe). Never store a tank completely empty, with the valve open or out. This leads to the tank needing to be VIPed, maybe cleaned, or worse yet, hydroed before one is needed. Some say that storing a tank empty (500 psi) causes weakening of the tank. Others say that storing the tank at full pressure leads to weakening. Me I drop the tanks down to 300 – 500 psi and store them inside. I just don't like the idea of the tanks setting unattended with full pressure in them.

Other items and toys. Do not store a camera housing, Pelican case, or anything that seals with o-rings, closed with the o-ring(s) in place. This is a good time to replace the o-rings by the way. Lift bags, store flat if possible, rolled if not. Folding causes creases and weakens the bag. Lights, or anything that takes batteries. Remove or disconnect the batteries. With dive lights that you remove the batteries, it is not a bad idea to put a moisture absorbent inside for storage.

As with most all equipment you get, the manufacturer should give you care and cleaning instructions. Follow those instructions over whatever I, or anyone else tells you.

Hope this helped.
If you enjoyed this article, my name is Pete.
If not, it's Bob. :thankyou:
Olympic diving is a sport. Scuba diving is an obsession.

#3 sudsymark

sudsymark

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:32 AM

If you are spending more renting a BC than it would cost to buy one then it is time to invest.
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:00 PM

If your gear is dry you need to go diving more, not store it :cool2:
Wetsuits should only be hung to dry, after that lay them flat with nothing on top.
If you're ready to buy a BC check out the DSS back plate and wing setup available through Kamala.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users