• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Smokers???

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 21 May 2004 - 09:26 PM

I had an interesting encounter the other day, diving at the lake. After the dive, was chatting with a very attractive looking woman, who I found out, is also a diver. I thought, well, this is cool, she's a diver, she's way cute, and we were hitting it off pretty good. Then, the deal breaker. She lights a cigarette and starts smoking. Thats it. Done, no longer interested. Ive been there, dated a couple of smokers, and never got used to it. Cant deal with it at all. It just really bugs me because I cant get past the smoking thing. She could have been all over me, and undressing herself, and I still would NOT have been interested because of the smoking. Does anyone else feel that smoking is an absolute deal breaker, or can you handle dating someone who is a smoker? Am I just overreacting???
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#2 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 May 2004 - 09:36 PM

I'm with you ... deal breaker. No ifs, ands, buts, or compromises for me on this one.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#3 Jro

Jro

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:OW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Does the bathtub count?

Posted 21 May 2004 - 09:37 PM

I'm not sure if that would be a deal breaker or not for me. In June I will have completed my first year without a smoke. Although most ex-smokers are militantly against smokers, I have found that it doesn't bother me at all. As a matter of fact I will sometimes go outside with some of my old smoking buddies just to hang out. I have not yet kissed a smoker since I broke away from smoking.

Looks like it's time to find a smoker and give her a smooch!!! :wavey:

It's the only way to know for sure.

Jeff

#4 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:18 PM

Not a deal breaker, but definitely that would be negative points.

The lady that I dated the longest was a pack a day smoker and the couple of times that we have met since (over the three and half years that we broke up) I had trouble with the smell of smoke on her. I have dated non-smokers since so it really shows.

I am a non-smoker, but both of my parents were heavy smokers so it doesn't break the deal for me. I just don't like it.

I don't have many deal-breakers, but I have lots of things that give "negatives", LOL.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#5 CaptainRonPdx

CaptainRonPdx

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:TriMix Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:34 PM

Definitly a deal breaker. Yuk. Smoking will turn a 10 into a 2 for me. Should I mention my g'pa, g'ma, who both died from related illness, or my dad who is in a wheelchair and pushing the oxygen bottle for the same reason. I dont want to see someone I choose to care about go through the things my family has, so I wont even consider getting involved with a smoker.

#6 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:56 PM

forget it. the breath...the smell of their clothes...NFW, man....

#7 happy2dive

happy2dive

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 22 May 2004 - 01:24 AM

Definitely a dealbreaker. I'm allergic to smoke and smoke residue on hair, skin and clothes. So even if he's my dream diver in shining (white?!) neoprene I'll walk away before I start developing a rash and gasping for air.

#8 Bombero

Bombero

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 22 May 2004 - 03:39 AM

I agree with the majority. Smoking is the biggest turn off for me and one of my major pet peeves. Not to mention all the people I've watched die as the end result in my line of work.
I think I'd have a problem sharing accomadations on a trip with smokers. Maybe that should be a screening question? :wavey:

#9 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 22 May 2004 - 06:04 AM

It's a definite negative but not a total deal breaker. Damn close though.

#10 NormsKid

NormsKid

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 22 May 2004 - 06:08 AM

Oh gosh! I kissed a smoker once and it tasted like I was licking an ash tray! YUK!!!

For me to date a smoker, they would have to be darn near perfect in all other catagories cause I really don't care for the smell, smoke, & health hazards of 2nd hand smoke.

I've got enough health issues to deal with as it is......no need to add additional risks to the mix.

Michelle

#11 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:07 AM

I agree with the majority. Smoking is the biggest turn off for me and one of my major pet peeves. Not to mention all the people I've watched die as the end result in my line of work.
I think I'd have a problem sharing accomadations on a trip with smokers. Maybe that should be a screening question? :diver:

do i sense another medical type here??

good point with the screening question......pm that to K

#12 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:15 AM

Smoking is absolutely a deal breaker. I'm an ex-smoker and I think we are the worst. My friend’s husband is a smoker. Although he didn’t smoke in the house, just having his clothes in the guest bedroom made me fumigate
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#13 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 22 May 2004 - 11:06 AM

I think that you will find that the consensus will be non-smoking around that average dive group. In my experience, most divers are non-smokers and are well aware of the bad health issues that accompany smoking.

That being said, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if she had everything else going for her, but definitely on my down-sides list :diver:

Edited by canuckdiver, 22 May 2004 - 11:06 AM.

"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#14 ColoradoPilot

ColoradoPilot

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:>300

Posted 22 May 2004 - 01:06 PM

Does not matter if she is the ideal match for me in other areas (self-reliant, intelligent, good attitude towards life, cute derrier, loves receiving), smoking is a deal-breaker.

#15 jeadiver

jeadiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 22 May 2004 - 01:33 PM

I haven't been around it for awhile, but I have only been smoke free for about 10 years. I don't think I would like it, but can't say if it would be a deal breaker. I definitely don't like the smell of it anymore.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users