• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Solo Diving

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:49 AM

I do...with a clear mind and Heart...

Do YOU (and why) ??

If NOT, do you feel it is Heresy??

Norm

#2 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:08 AM

Did it for years though I now mostly team dive. There is less risk diving alone than there is taking out a new student or diving with a dangerous diver.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#3 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:18 AM

I have done a few solo dives. They were shallow and in a place I was very familiar with and no currents. I found them quite relaxing and enjoyable. If I lived near on ocean, I am sure I would do more.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#4 FlIrishman

FlIrishman

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NTIROX - 500 DIVES, East Florida Coast wreck, reef and beach diving
  • Logged Dives:500

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:27 AM

Yep - do it all the time when were Lobster Diving out of Stuart or Jupiter. We go down together and then go our separate ways! Were diving in 80 ft of water about 5 miles out [ in the Atlantic that is ].

BUT: I'm diving with a stell 120 with NITROX - AND - a 19 cu ft pony on a separate reg. That reg is on my right side and on most every dive I close my eyes and practice taking a few breaths. I also carry a 6' sausage and 150 ft of line. And waterproof flares - two of them.

http://www.irishmans...m/mar15_02c.htm

I've never had a problem underwater, but have been a ways away from the boat when I surfaced. One time there was a strong current and I surfaced 1/2 mile away and drifting further away. It was 4 - 6 ft seas and I had a full tank of air and was riding low in the water. The 3 ft inflated sausage wasnot very visible [ now have the 6 footer ], but I held my flashlight over my head. The boat saw the flickering of the light from a mile away. Now, I've got the waterproof flares [ 2 of them ] and shoot them off every 4th of July to be replaced by new ones. Sometimes they all go off on the 4th, sometimes none go off! I've now also got a BIG AirForce type smoke / flare pod to carry along.

Geo / The Irishman

Edited by FlIrishman, 10 February 2006 - 08:28 AM.

#5 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:53 AM

AMEN!!

Nice thing about Ginnie is running into Fellow Solo'er's, and doing Same Platform, Same Karst dives... :wub:

nhb

Did it for years though I now mostly team dive. There is less risk diving alone than there is taking out a new student or diving with a dangerous diver.

#6 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:57 AM

No. I need someone to follow 'cause I get lost easily. :D

#7 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:29 AM

How do you know the Leader isn't lost also?

:wakawaka:

Norm

No. I need someone to follow 'cause I get lost easily. :D

#8 konascubagirl

konascubagirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:33 AM

Aloha Norm!

Yep, I make the occasional solo dive. I started doing it after I got tired of trying to hook up with buddies that have don't have the same flexibility to dive when I want to go!
Also, more peaceful diving when you aren't worrying about someone else.

KSG

#9 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:46 AM

DISCLAIMER: I do NOT recommend solo diving to anyone. It is a decision that you must make for yourself after much realistic evaluation of not only your diving skills and dive site conditions, but also your reaction to OOA or other incidents underwater.

With that said, I have solo dived since the mid 60's... at least in areas I am reasonably familiar with. About 80-85% of my diving is solo and I greatly enjoy it that way. As a videographer, it is almost essential that I dive solo... or have a buddy who is very attuned to sticking in one place for long periods of time (like another photographer which most of my "regular" buddies are).

Based on my own experience (not universal by any means), I am at least 20X more likely to experience a problem diving with a buddy than I am diving solo. That is one reason I try to dive only with buddies who I know fairly well.

Even when diving solo, I am almost always at a site frequented by many divers (our dive park), or diving off the King Neptune which gives me a backup in the event something should happen.

I dive with a HP120 tank for its large capacity and a completely redundant air supply (19 cu ft pony). I dive equipment which I consider to be highly reliable (Mk 10/G250's on both tanks), and maintain it regularly.

However, in areas I'm not familiar with I always dive with a buddy (even if they are not familiar with the site either). Preferably it is one of my regular female buddies because they are all outstanding divers (mostly instructors) and I truly feel that generally (but by no means always!) females make better buddies due to their attention to relationships (both buddy and ecological).

I do not "tout" my solo diving, especially where dive classes may be present. I just do it. I don't want the classes to think solo diving is fine for them, and have no problem if instructors point me out as an example of how not to dive. Most instructors at the dive park know me and my experience level so this is a rarity.

Edited by drbill, 10 February 2006 - 10:48 AM.

#10 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:33 AM

How do you know the Leader isn't lost also?

:D

Norm

Good point. I guess because I haven't gotten lost yet, so someone must know what they're doing. That's why I got my son certified. He has a better sense of direction than I do.
BTW, did you listen to your VM? I wonder if it came out.

#11 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:53 AM

Most of my early diving was with bug hunters so I learned real quick that I was own my own. Most photographers are solo, their attention is what's in front of them, not their buddy. I still do inlet dives solo but wouldn't do a beach dive solo. The Galapagos Aggressor's don't enforce the buddy rule but you want to keep a DM (yellow tank) in sight because the skiff is following him.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#12 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:07 PM

I will dive solo. If I am out with my dive shop and there are no tourists for me to guide, or classes for me to assist, the boat sitter will tell me that he is my buddy. When I am on my boat, I almost always dive solo. Nobody else has weds. afternoon off, so I can sit at home, or dive solo. Thats a tough one. I have to say that I pay much more attention to weather and swells when I am alone. But I do enjoy diving with my friends. They make it more fun.
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#13 ereediver

ereediver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:06 PM

AS for me, If I'm diving solo.. call the Coast Guard.. something is seriously wrong.... :hiya:

#14 firemedicdiver

firemedicdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Cert Level:Basic
  • Logged Dives:not very many

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:01 PM

I dive solo also, mainly because it is hard to find buddies that don't work during the week. I dive in the local lake where I know the conditions and feel comfortable with the area. If I were to go someplace else and dive then I would definately want/get a buddy.
Dan

"When I die, please don't let my wife sell my scuba equipment for what I told her I paid for it." -- Anonymous

#15 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:16 PM

Ive been known to dive solo but it's not for evert situation or for every person.

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users