• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Solo Diving

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:44 AM

I promised Donna that I would never dive solo again after she heard about a dive I consider semi-solo. I did not have an assigned buddy, but there were divers everywhere, so I don't consider it serious solo.

So, I do not dive solo. Having said that, if I were very proficient (I'm not) and very familiar with the dive site, I would not have a problem with diving solo. Like Dr. Bill said, solo diving is a very personal choice and you need to completely understand the risks involved.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#17 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:29 AM

At this point I have not gone solo and as of now wouldn't consider it. Who knows maybe after more time passes I may consider it but right now, not an option. I can see how one would like to.
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#18 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

I prefer to dive with a buddy but if there is no one available, then I don't have any issues solo diving as I'd rather dive then sit around. In fact, I found out about SD on one of my trips as I wanted to go diving and did a web search which resulted in finding SD. I now try to contact SD folks from areas that I will be travelling through to try and see what is in their area, what they recommend for LDS and if they want to dive. Unfortunately my experience so far has only included a couple of SDs joining me so I have continued to go solo.

So I hope if I contact you, that we can go diving!

I might also add that my first topic posting on SD concerned Solo Diving Certification? as I had never heard of it before but have found such requirements at quarrys in PA (Dutch Springs), OH (Gilboa Springs) and I had assumed in the FL springs but perhaps not after reading Norm's post. These are still the only places that I've seen these requirements as solo diving is common in New England and the Keys. I also didn't have problems in a quarry in IN or a scuba park in TX.
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#19 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:26 PM

'afternoon, Tom...

The FL State Parks PROHIBIT solo, regardless of cert...Ginnie allows it, with no need for the solo card...still, many spots here are of open land, where there are few if any Rules...

Norm

I might also add that my first topic posting on SD concerned Solo Diving Certification? as I had never heard of it before but have found such requirements at quarrys in PA (Dutch Springs), OH (Gilboa Springs) and I had assumed in the FL springs but perhaps not after reading Norm's post. These are still the only places that I've seen these requirements as solo diving is common in New England and the Keys. I also didn't have problems in a quarry in IN or a scuba park in TX.

#20 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:05 PM

Afternoon to you too Norm! I woke up too late and had too many errands to run today to go diving up here but am sorry now as we're expecting 10" of snow tonight :welcome:.

The FL State Parks PROHIBIT solo, regardless of cert...Ginnie allows it, with no need for the solo card...still, many spots here are of open land, where there are few if any Rules...

I thought that it was an issue. Do you know if it is an issue at Blue Grotto, Devils Den or Vortex Springs since each of these are private? Or how about Morrison Spring which is County?
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#21 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:12 PM

Afternoon to you too Norm! I woke up too late and had too many errands to run today to go diving up here but am sorry now as we're expecting 10" of snow tonight :(.

This just means the dive sites are less crowded :welcome:

Eric

#22 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:22 PM

I expect a snow report from FaireyBasslet anytime now re HER Snowbound-ness!

AFAIR, BG & DD both prohibit solo, and I don't recall about Paradise...We have some Folks here who go to Vortex & Morrison sometimes...HEY Y'all! What is the deal there?? Perrone??

IF you are an NSS-CDS member, I think Cow is OK for solo...

Norm

Afternoon to you too Norm! I woke up too late and had too many errands to run today to go diving up here but am sorry now as we're expecting 10" of snow tonight :welcome:.

I thought that it was an issue. Do you know if it is an issue at Blue Grotto, Devils Den or Vortex Springs since each of these are private? Or how about Morrison Spring which is County?

#23 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:49 PM

Do YOU (and why) ??
If NOT, do you feel it is Heresy??

I've done it, but only under the circumstances that:

1) It's a shore dive in a protected area;
2) there are other divers around; and,
3) the person with whom I would have dove was more of a liability than an asset.

Like so many responding to this topic, yes, I've done it, but I don't necessarily recommend it.

Rick
:welcome:

Today's heresy is tomorrow's orthodoxy.

#24 mechanical31

mechanical31

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:15 PM

Well, here in the midwest my choice of dive buddies is very limited. Most of the time I can find a buddy to dive with at the lds, but about 30 percent of the times it's just me and the fishies and to be totally honest I kinda like it. It doesn't scare me and I dive whatever profile I feel like up tp about 100 ft. I don't carry a pony, although I am seriously considering one( just can't figure out how to sling it comfortably with a seaquest pro qd +. The way I see it is I'm not ready to check out yet, but it's my life to play with as I choose. And no, I do not recommend this practice either, but thats still the way it is for me. I do think in someways it has improved my diving skills since I am on my own with nobody else to rely on, I tend to watch my guages more and try to not get too wrapped up in the moment and remember I could die doing something this foolish. Kinda contridictory huh?
I'mA riddle so strong, you can't break me.
Alice in Chains

#25 ledgedive

ledgedive

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Cert Level:open
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:46 PM

i generally ascend to the anchor with a buddy but that usually the last time
we see each other or are within a short distance of each other as we are normally
spearfishing or hunting for bugs. most everyone i dive with dives with a pony,
whistle, flashlight and tube. my most recent dive my "buddy" saw two sharks come
at me and couldn't get out of the water fast enough-

#26 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

Well it's not much of a secret if everyone keep publicly talking(posting) about it...

Eric

#27 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world
  • Logged Dives:well over 500, the dives get numbers and ratings now

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

I dive solo almost all of the time.
Hunting, Bugging, Digging, Running a search pattern, Capturing images, or planning to be the last one in.
I have also rescued more than one buddy team.
No agency trains for a threeway out of air assent.
Talk about not their day to die.

No matter how you carve it, you must have confidence in your skills, training, and equipment.
In advance of the dive season get D.P.A., Advance Medical Directives, and good friends to carry out your wishes.
A couple of my friends told me they could not pull the plug, I let them off the hook.
They are still my friends.

Now as I get older do I take the same risks as before.
Nope!
You are born with only so much luck and I think I have used quite a bit in these 55 years.
That is why I don't waste my time gambling.
I may need the luck later.

pm

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Defender of Dumb Animals, & Damsels in Distress,

Licensed  Fool.

#28 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:29 PM

IF you are an NSS-CDS member, I think Cow is OK for solo...

yeah, Cow is OK for solo, as long as your an NSS-CDS member.

Little River and Royal are OK for solo as well, because they are county and not state.
Telford is open land, so solo is no problem.

Peacock used to be OK with solo diving, but then they had a few solo diver deaths and the state's knee-jerk reaction was to prohibit solo diving.

didn't stop people from dying there.

i dive solo at Ginnie all the time. usualy cause i only have a few cave buddies, and if they aren't available, i still want to dive. good thing about Ginnie is even if your diving solo, you will usualy pass lots of other divers.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#29 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:48 AM

I liken solo diving to sex. Rather pointless and boring by yourself, it's much more enjoyable with an adventuresome partner... :diver:
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#30 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:00 AM

yes....and much of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users