• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What should I add to my Save-A-Dive Kit?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

As I tend to now carry deco bottles with a higher % of Enriched Air (40%+), I am realizing I need to start appropriately updating my Save-A-Dive Kit. I added O2 compatible o-rings (the dingy looking brown ones and some cool new purple ones), but what else can I be adding?

Yes, I'll ask the question....what types of lubricants should I now be carrying. :D
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Rob underwater

Rob underwater

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Have a dive or two

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:19 PM

:hiya: Lubricants!

christo-lube. O2 compatible for higher mixes. bout the only thing I can think of....maybe some spare clips for your stage bottles (sometimes they break) I'm sure someone else will think of something and chime in.
Cheers,
Rob

Edited by Rob underwater, 10 February 2006 - 06:20 PM.

#3 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:36 PM

Don't forget to replace the o-rings on your spare HP spool
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#4 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:16 PM

Ditto, but VITAL...when I "upgraded" to EAN, I made it a POINT to put my old AquaLube (no jokes here, PLEASE!) physically AWAY from easy access in my GoTo kit, so I wouldn't grab it by mistake in Haste!! I need to dig WAY past my Christo-lube to get to it...better safe than Sorry!!

Yeah, spare clips...they make GREAT parting gifts for new Techs! (Right, Marci??) :twist:

Norm

:hiya: Lubricants!

christo-lube. O2 compatible for higher mixes. bout the only thing I can think of....maybe some spare clips for your stage bottles (sometimes they break) I'm sure someone else will think of something and chime in.
Cheers,
Rob

#5 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:16 AM

If you treat everything in your kit that could be used in a high pressure environment as if it needs to be O2 service, then you don't have as much chance to make a mistake by picking the wrong o-ring and such. It costs a few more bucks. However, it prevents mistakes a little better.

Otherwise, you can just label containers of oxygen service parts: "Viton High Pressure O-Rings," etc.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#6 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:43 PM

A redundant 02 clean 1st stage, preferably the same make and model.

and a new spool of duct tape.

Edited by Trimix2dive, 12 February 2006 - 05:44 PM.

#7 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:38 PM

...and a new spool of duct tape.

Red Green would be proud...

Posted Image
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#8 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:09 AM

...and a new spool of duct tape.

Red Green would be proud...

Posted Image

I wonder how much we could get on e-bay if we offered O2 cleaned duct tape?

Eric

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:30 AM

A redundant 02 clean 1st stage, preferably the same make and model.

and a new spool of duct tape.

This, I have found, already to be a good idea.

One item I added is a stand alone little OPV for any stage you may end up using for your Argon bottle. I typically use a first stage that has one built in, but with a failure a few months ago, I learned that in a pinch I may use a first stage that does not have one built in, so to have a little OPV that can easily be added to the stage is a good idea and they are inexpensive for the job they do!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#10 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:42 PM

I added O2 compatible o-rings (the dingy looking brown ones and some cool new purple ones), but what else can I be adding?

Yes, I'll ask the question....what types of lubricants should I now be carrying. :P

purple o-rings huh? what designer shop are you going to?? whats next? pink??

as for the lube. hehehehehe

meow meow meow

so do you just want me to hump your doubles? or do you want me to lube your o-ring as well? lol

:taz: :P
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#11 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:12 AM

meow meow meow

so do you just want me to hump your doubles? or do you want me to lube your o-ring as well? lol

:) :diver:

don't make me choose.... :P

#12 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:28 PM

meow meow meow

:diver: :-D

don't make me choose.... :flirt:

you don't have to choose, other than which you want first.

you can have both

meeeeow :diver:
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

now I know what will keep me warm on a long surface interval.... :P

:birthday: :twist: ;)

#14 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:34 AM

purple o-rings huh? what designer shop are you going to?? whats next? pink??

I think the purple ones are from Parker. They had some really nice looking aqua colored ones in the same general HP O2 safe series a few years back. I like them better than Viton 'cos they're a little softer (lower durometer) so they seal better, although they don't last quite as long. That, plus they're made in the US, not in France...

I just looked for my Parker PDF catalog, and damned if I can find it, buried in with 30gig+ of misc diving info. They've got so many series (different compounds) that I'm not even gonna try to do it off the top of my head. If anyone's interested, I'll dig up the stored info I have. Parker has distributors in all of the big towns where tech exists. Dallas, Houston and Austin are almost all a guarantee, what with the high tech, petro and semiconductor done in those three.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users