• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

More scary than sharks!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

Pack of hungry squid diver's worst nightmare

Tom Stienstra, San Francisco Chronicle

Sunday, February 19, 2006

The most horrifying vision for a scuba diver is not the silent charge of a 20-foot great white shark.

No, it gets worse than that.

The ultimate nightmare of the deep is to encounter a pack of Humboldt squid and then face being devoured in a series of softball-chunk sized bites as they compete for each scrap.

These giant squid reach six feet and 180 pounds, armed with sucker discs with 25,000 to 60,000 teeth, as detailed in a Chronicle story a year ago (archived at sfgate.com). They have 10 tentacles, including two long tentacles they use to pull their prey in to their razor-sharp beaks. They school in roaming hordes and then gang up to swarm in feeding frenzies. When set off, they will even eat each other and anything else in their path.

They have returned for a second straight year off the Bay Area coast this winter, roaming the marine seamounts, often 400 to 2,000 feet deep.

A report has been confirmed that that a group called Seawolves Unlimited has not only led dives amid the Humboldt squid, but has filmed the encounters and attacks.

"In order to safely dive with the Humboldt squid, they use diver protection platforms and wear armored wet suits," said Craig Buttner, who previewed the film.

At one point, you can see squid try to eat a scuba diver, but are repelled when they clasp onto the armor, Buttner said.

The 45-minute video now in post-production will be shown for the first time at a free seminar called "Dancing With The Demons." The event is scheduled March 10 at 7:30 p.m. in Millbrae, 10 minutes south of the San Francisco Airport, at the New Vision United Methodist Church at 450 Chadbourne.

Buttner says it's a clear, high resolution copy shot in the crystal waters in the Sea of Cortez. I'll be getting a copy as soon as available to provide a synopsis.

The show is sponsored by the Northern California Underwater Photographic Society. Info, directions and underwater pics at ncups.org.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:23 AM

Humbolt squid are one of those things that if they were common in shallow water we wouldn't be diving! I had seen a story years ago of a diver wearing PVC pipe over arms and legs and a steel cable tied to his tank so the squid couldn't pull him deeper while he took pictures. He still got beat up and bruised.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:55 PM

I think they are like sharks in that if you chum for them lookout and if you don't you don't have problems.

#4 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:27 PM

Whats that rule again....

You don't need to be able to out swim the shark just the rest of the dive group.This also works in bear country so it might apply to Humboldt squid.

Eric

#5 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

The Discovery Channel (?) had a special on 'em sometime in the last couple of years, shot down in the Sea of Cortez.

What I found most intriguing was the video crew had a nice (uneventful) set of dives with the squid when they were off by themselves, and the squid were merely curious. When the Mexicans were fishing in the same area for squid with long strings of barbed hooks, the squid started flashing at the divers and attacking them, even so far as grabbing one of the divers and doing a rapid descent with the dude in-tow. He got away from it, although just barely. So, don't piss off anything that can yank you down several hundred feet in the water column...

The video quality was so-so 'cos they only come up shallow at night, and it looked like it was shot during the yearly algae bloom down there. It's still well worth a watch if they air it again. Woof. Those things move *fast*!

#6 Rob underwater

Rob underwater

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Have a dive or two

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:30 PM

I saw the guy on Discovery. He was using modified Stormtrooper prop armor. Looked effective.
The thought of one of those beaks digging into my body gives me chills. :banghead: Maybe there's a new cert in this "Squid wrestling".

Rob
:banghead:

#7 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:13 PM

The thought of one of those beaks digging into my body gives me chills. :banghead: Maybe there's a new cert in this "Squid wrestling".

Rob
:cheerleader:

I'll just have my calamari and call it even. I like to maintain the false impression that I'm at the top of the food chain, not somewhere in the upper half. I'll pass on any night dives in Cortez or North Cal if they're in a testy mood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users