• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tips for traveling out of the country

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

If you are traveling abroad here are some tips you need to make your trip easier:

Make sure you have a signed, valid passport and visas, if required. Also, before you go, fill in the emergency information page of your passport!

and

Read the Consular Information Sheets (and Public Announcements or Travel Warnings, if applicable) for the countries you plan to visit.

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:24 PM

If you are packing any pills be sure to have copies of the perscriptions.
Save receipts for anything you buy out of country in case Customs wants to tax it.
Your DAN card, never leave home without it! Check DAN for shot recomendations.
Put a copy of your itineary in your bag so if the airline loses it they know where to find you.
Make copies of your passport main page, pack one and leave another with a trusted friend so it can be faxed should yours get lost.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:36 PM

I have done a number of backpacking/dive trips out of the country, most for a minimum of one and maximum of three months at a time. I always keep a xeroxed copy of my passport separate from where I carry my passport itself. Since my passport is usually on my person, the copy is usually hidden in my backpack at my accommodations.

I also carry emergency phone numbers for credit cards, etc., so I can call in the event my wallet is stolen.

I also wear a money belt for my passport and traveller's checks, with cash carried in my wallet.

#4 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:50 PM

Save receipts for anything you buy out of country in case Customs wants to tax it.
Your DAN card, never leave home without it! Check DAN for shot recomendations.
Put a copy of your itineary in your bag so if the airline loses it they know where to find you.
Make copies of your passport main page, pack one and leave another with a trusted friend so it can be faxed should yours get lost.

Thanks Ray,

:D Simple things....and I forgot about a couple...like the itineary in your bag and a copy of the passport at home.....both and all of the above can possibly ruin your trip...simple precautions can make any problems easier :fish:
You must endeavor to pursue!

#5 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:27 PM

Heck, I've never kept the prescription, as I'd have to ask for it back from the pharmacist. They always toss it. I figure the labelled bottle is enough, and it's never been an issue. What compositions are foreign inspectors giving anyone trouble over??? The bottle has the prescribing Dr's name, the date, MY name and the brand or trade name. What more is a copy of a prescription gonna give 'em, other than a signature that's dead easy to forge?

#6 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:00 AM

Heck, I've never kept the prescription, as I'd have to ask for it back from the pharmacist. They always toss it. I figure the labelled bottle is enough, and it's never been an issue. What compositions are foreign inspectors giving anyone trouble over??? The bottle has the prescribing Dr's name, the date, MY name and the brand or trade name. What more is a copy of a prescription gonna give 'em, other than a signature that's dead easy to forge?

I think LA means in case you lose the pills, that you can then get the perscription filled again, though I'd add that you should never pack perscription medicines in your checked baggage, the pills should always be with you

#7 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:53 AM

I think LA means in case you lose the pills, that you can then get the perscription filled again, though I'd add that you should never pack perscription medicines in your checked baggage, the pills should always be with you

Having a copy of the Rx is more for prescriptions that are controlled/narcotic substances, such as Oxy, maybe some muscle relaxors, etc. Have you watched the movie The Terminal with Tom Hanks? If you have, you'll know what I mean.

Customs and police won't worry about antibiotics, motrin, anti-malaria pills and the like. And I've traveled without copies of my Rx and it's never been a problem...just a problem if you get searched for some unknown reason.

Now, it is always good to have a copy of your Rx in case you need more while traveling, but depending on where you are traveling to, you can usually just buy the Rx w/o a script AND in most cases, for less than your co-pay here in the US is.

-Mike- a.k.a WDFB

#8 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:04 AM

Since no one has pointed this one out yet, I'll step up and do so:

I know that most of us have some form of Dive Insurance (DI) for when we make those fabulous SD trips. Many of us also have some form of health insurance (many through our employers) that also helps us handle emergencies and the like.

Do you know what the limits of your insurance policies are (and I'm not talking about co-pays or co-insurance)?

From what I've gathered, many standard health and hospitalization policies do not cover you when travelling outside the United States. DI policies might cover you depending on the policy written even for a non-diving-related problem or illness.

So--do any of us really KNOW what our coverages actually are? The only way to find out is to ask the carrier and get them to commit as to coverage.

Also, ask if there are limitations as to coverage area--Latin America is covered, for instance, but Australasia is not. BTW--do you have to be a certain number of miles from your primary residence before the coverage kicks in under your policy?

Just some food for thought and discussion.

Platypusman
...who enjoyed great food and discussion at the TWO DFW Happy Hours this weekend!

#9 JeepDiver

JeepDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cert Level:OWII & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:~150

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:45 AM

Be sure to check with DAN, or the CDC well ahead of your scheduled trip for shots and meds. Some shots take 3+ months to reach full effect, so you want to make sure you get them far enough in advanced.

#10 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

Love it... Good tip... Of course, if the bag gets stolen then they know where to go to get the rest of your stuff... :cheerleader:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#11 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:10 PM

Nothing against DAN but it might be wise to check for coverage issues if DAN is your primary dive insurance. While in Honduras last fall I was having a conversation with the resort owner who also helps run the hyperbaric chamber and there are some chamber organizations that are no longer accepting DAN insurance. This is just something I was told, but better to check it out than be sorry.
I use PADI dive insurance. The coverage is great and the prices are good.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#12 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:46 PM

If I'm not mistaken, this is old information. I believe DAN and a company that was running certain chambers have since reconciled this issue

#13 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:11 PM

If I'm not mistaken, this is old information. I believe DAN and a company that was running certain chambers have since reconciled this issue

That's good news. I was not sure how valid that info was but better to err on the side of caution.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#14 tonyinasia

tonyinasia

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:212

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

A lot of good tips have been posted, including the need to carry a copy of your passport main page. Just to add a few more:

MEMORIZE your passport number, and the date it was issued.

Keep your passport with you at all times - perferrably buttoned up in a shirt pocket. I never put my passport in an overhead bin, or in carry-on bag. Your passport should never leave your person. And never put your passport - or airline tickets in the seat pocket in front of you. That's the easiest way to forget them.

Before the trip, copy everything in your wallet front side and back side: drivers' license, credit cards, insurance cards, etc. Keep a copy with you in someplace other than your wallet, or, store the copy as a password protected document on a small USB drive.

Record the 'lost and stolen' numbers for your credit cards - but remember that 800- numbers do not work from outside the USA. You need to have direct numbers. Also remember to keep these numbers someplace other than your wallet................

Never keep all of your cash in one place. Keep some cash in your wallet (small denomination bills), but, keep the majority someplace else.

I travel internationally so much that my luggage is pretty much 'experienced', however, I make my bag look even worse with application of duct tape in a few strategic places. The point is this - if a thief is going to steal the contents of a bag, they are not going to chose a bag that looks like it's been thru the ringer with duct tape holding it together. Remember that thieves can circumvent any luggage lock. The trick is getting a thief to zero in on a bag other than yours.

When traveling with dive gear, I think it's best not to advertise what's inside - no dive stickers, no dive flags, no gear logos, etc.

The last bit of advice is to use big plastic zip bags for much of your dive gear. TSA tends to open dive bags, so I pack all of my small items - mask, gloves, dive knife, light, lift bag, etc into clear plastic bags. The luggage inspectors can check the stuff without taking it out of the bags. So far, this strategy has them from misplacing small items.

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:11 PM

TonyinAsia...great tips!

I'll add a few more that have worked for me.

1. Instead of a divebag use a regular suitcase. Doesn't scream 'Steal Me' as much.
2. My bags ALWAYS look like they are on their last legs...never thought about it but I never have anything stolen and I do travel with enough stuff in them that someone would have a heyday!
3. I got a new passport and while I don't need glasses yet to read...I practically do for my passport and forget reading it in low light...the print is extremely small these days. So I wrote the number on the page before in much larger print so I can retrieve it faster. If I could memorize my name I'd try to memorize my passport number...but I certainly see the value here. Heck I finally memorized my PADI DM number so there is hope for this :blonde: yet!
4. And yes I hand carry things that are not easily replaceable such as my mask, computer, regs and drysuit. And I allow a few extra minutes to clear security as they ALWAYS want to look closer. If I was a photographer I'd carry that too along with any meds, a snack in case of being trapped without food (think San Juan airport here) and don't forget to buy water INSIDE of security!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users