• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

U/W Woes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:42 PM

In preparation for my OW swimming prerequisites, I'm in the process of learning underwater swimming (as well as improving my overall water comfort).

I had my third private swimming lesson on Saturday and attempted to actually swim u/w for the first time. I started off just doing a glide u/w, then a flutter kick and then a whip kick. My problem is I'm not able to actually stay under the surface for very long. After about 2M, I start to rise. (I'm currently practicing in the shallow end, 3-4 ft at the start and then increasing to about 5 ft at the target point -- 15M.)

I stayed behind to practice on my own after the lesson and tried to incorporate a scull-like, breast stroke-like movement with my arms, in addition to *my* version of the whip kick, and I think it helped a bit but not much. I still rise to the surface after a few metres. The furthest I was able to go with breath-holding and then exhaling was about 8M only. (I need to be able to do 15M.) But it's a start at least! :lmao:

My instructor isn't sure what's happening with the rising, so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions to share.

Another concern is late Saturday night and early Sunday morning, I was feeling somewhat dizzy. Not just-off-the-merry-go-round dizzy, but dizzy nonetheless. I'm wondering if I practiced too much in a short amount of time or more likely, I practiced incorrectly. (*Bad* breathing technique, for example.)

Any thoughts? :teeth:

#2 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

You need to be breathing out slowly....through your nose or mouth when you're underwater. Holding your breath is not good for you and can be the cause of your dizzy feeling.

When I feel like I'm out of air, I actually am able to let out a little more...just like my descents with my gear. That gets me additional distance, or is enough to get me to the surface to get a breath.

Also, that huge breath you take before you plunge in...don't take as big a breath.

Remember air in your body is still air and it will rise. You're a petite woman and probably don't have enough weight to offset filling your lungs entirely in a 3-4 pool.

Just like in SCUBA, if you were in a deeper pool it would be easier to stay down after getting down because the air would compress somewhat.

So...remember the properties of air and compression / decompression.

Not such a big breath...try and get closer to the bottom to start with...and DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!

Edited by Twinklez, 26 February 2006 - 10:42 PM.

#3 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:31 PM

I agree with the above advice. Take a big breath but not so big that your chest muscles feel like they are about to pop, let a little air out continuously as you swim, and try to get a little deeper as you swim and it will become a little easier to stay down.

And of course, come up way before you feel like you are going to pass out. :wavey:

#4 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:54 AM

I'm pleased to announce I fared much better this past Saturday! (Although the whip kick is still a struggle. :))

After my lesson, I practiced again by myself but in slightly deeper water. Instead of rising after 2M, I was able to stay down the whole length of the pool I was practicing in! It was only about 5-6M (then the next lane started), but I didn't rise! Surprising what an extra foot of water depth can do! :cool2:

#5 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

I'm pleased to announce I fared much better this past Saturday! (Although the whip kick is still a struggle. :mad:)

After my lesson, I practiced again by myself but in slightly deeper water. Instead of rising after 2M, I was able to stay down the whole length of the pool I was practicing in! It was only about 5-6M (then the next lane started), but I didn't rise! Surprising what an extra foot of water depth can do! :D

Hooray! You see, it is coming to you. :banghead: Keep up the good work, and let us know as it comes along.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#6 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:56 AM

I'm pleased to announce I fared much better this past Saturday! (Although the whip kick is still a struggle. :D)

After my lesson, I practiced again by myself but in slightly deeper water. Instead of rising after 2M, I was able to stay down the whole length of the pool I was practicing in! It was only about 5-6M (then the next lane started), but I didn't rise! Surprising what an extra foot of water depth can do! :dance:

EXCELLENT - pretty soon little webs will start growing between your fingers!!!! :mad: Can't wait to have you join us on a dive trip!!! :banghead:
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#7 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:24 AM

Thx, guys! :wavey:

I went to my pool to practice this evening and I must say, what a drag it is to not be allowed to push off. :diver: Up until this point, I've been learning with a push off but since YMCA doesn't allow such *luxuries*, I feel it's best to continue practicing without one. Does anyone have any suggestions for a smooth, effortless, energy-efficient *start* they'd like to share? (I think I have a tendency to tip back before I go forward.)

I've also given up on the whip kick. The lifeguard came over and gave me some pointers and suggested using a slow flutter kick in order to keep my momentum going. It may not be as efficient as a good whip kick, but it sure beats a pathetic one! :cool1:

#8 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:08 PM

What is the "whip kick"?

I find the best way to swim underwater is to hyperventilate moderately (too much and you may get dizzy or worse) then exhale most of the air before i start out. Lungs full of air will certainly take you to the surface, unless you're so deep they contract with the pressure.

#9 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:51 PM

What is the "whip kick"?

I learned that the whip kick is basically a modified frog kick. I think the only difference is your knees are closer together in a whip kick. If anyone else has a more accurate description, please provide it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users