• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Athens, TX

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:24 AM

I landed in Athens at 4pm on saturday and got a warm welcome from all who where in camp. there was alot of activities going on at the time so i would meet the rest later. Jim said there was going to be a nite dive around 8:45 and after a debriefing about 25 divers and leaders jumped in. first a swim in about 10 of water then we cut across the lake to a cabin boat on bottom. next was the sunkin volkwagen, as I could see we where all together and on course. everyone was doing a good jog not hitting the bottom and silting up the water :o now on to the twin engine jet, we all took turns going thru no prob's. according to the dive plan we where all to surface and get a air psi check and see if we would want to go on to the the bus and the underwater tunnel system. I had less than 1000 psi so i dicided to call it a night. quincy my dive buddy decided to go on with the group. all in all that was a great dive with a bunch of great folks. Dive two the next morning quincy and I decided to redo the course from the night before. Ok 10 ft dive along shoreline, cut over to the cabin boat then the VW and over to the jet. did a swim thru on the jet taking alittle more time to check things out than the night before. we surfaced and then with plenty of gas left we went on to the bus. we never did find the bus but we gave it a good O'le college try and a dive compose would have been handy. What a Great Place to meet people and get some practise in. I hope we have a few more get togethers this year at Athens.

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 scubahoney

scubahoney

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:52 AM

HEY B2B!!!! It was great to meet you out at Athen's. Hope we didn't keep you up too late! LOL. I see you fixed your post...no more reference to me!!! :o
As for the diving, it was really great...a little shallow, but great. I think I was the first to stop with the night divers due to air...but I was exhausted anyways!

Edited by scubahoney, 24 May 2004 - 08:53 AM.

The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#3 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:05 AM

Hey All,

It was great to meet some new faces out at Athen's this past weekend..and it was great fun!!! :o I certainly hope that we can all get together next time we do this again, as there will definatly be a next time.

Either way, thanks to everyone who did come out, and those who are in other states and/or weren't able to make it, we all had you with us in spirit and hope that possibly you will make it next time.

Dejah

#4 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:07 AM

As far as everyone else who was out at Athen's....they are prob still passed out from exhastion!
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#5 mechanical31

mechanical31

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:33 AM

Glad you all had a great time. Schedule another, I'll be there. The company said since I had to miss this one do to unscheduled work they will pay my travel expenses for the next one :o
I'mA riddle so strong, you can't break me.
Alice in Chains

#6 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:34 AM

Are there any openings in your office?!
~Jacques Cousteau

#7 mechanical31

mechanical31

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:45 AM

Sometimes it's good to be top dog, but most of the time you pull the other dogs and the sled by yourself:)
I'mA riddle so strong, you can't break me.
Alice in Chains

#8 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 24 May 2004 - 10:21 AM

Glad you all had a great time. Schedule another, I'll be there. The company said since I had to miss this one do to unscheduled work they will pay my travel expenses for the next one :wavey:

Very :cool1: and we will be having another one of these soon... keep your eyes watching the board for details.

Dejah

#9 Gfpirate

Gfpirate

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced-Specialty
  • Logged Dives:90+

Posted 24 May 2004 - 10:41 AM

:wavey: Sorry I couldn't stay later, but I enjoyed the diving and I hope the photos I took came out. Let me know when another event is going on.

#10 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 12:14 PM

:cool1: Oh what a great weekend indeed. Looking forward to the next Event and meeting and socializing with everyone again.

I am in the process of putting together a trip summary and LOTs of pictures, so be careful girls of what you say.....GOD is watching and CAN post some pictures. :wavey:

Just kidding....it was GREAT meeting everyone finally and having the opportunity to chat and visit with all of you. For those of you that were not able to make it.....you don't know what you were missing. The establishment was great, the food was better, but the COMPANY was the BEST.

-ZD

OMG!!! I love you and I'll keep my mouth shut until AFTER you post only the good pics!!!
:D
~Jacques Cousteau

#11 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 24 May 2004 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for a fun weekend gathering!
:teeth:

I knew it'd be a fun time, and for a quarry dive-site, the Athens park is certainly nice. I wanted to see the divers I already knew face-face, and meet some of those I haven't met face-face yet, and just as I feared - :D y'all would have had a lot of fun without me. Glad I got to be there.

My second dive got interesting, when I wandered away from the group and got beached in the shallows! Got so frustrated about being in water too shallow to swim, I couldn't find the way I came in for a quick exit, so I had to crawl out. Glad I had gloves on, and - :cool1: while I'll admit it now, I'm glad no one saw it!

The 900 mile round-trip dive was a little much, but I made it okay and kept my costs down okay, and besides - I wanted to support this effort of a great organization, albeit in the small way I could. :diver:

thanks again, friends! don :wavey:

Edited by DandyDon, 24 May 2004 - 12:27 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#12 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 24 May 2004 - 12:38 PM

Had a great time! I want to thank everyone for everything they did to make this happen. I recieved the award for traveling the furthest although Dandy Don drove all to night to spend one day. Thanks to Deb and Kamala for getting me to and from the airport. The whole crew was way cool. Got to see FinGrabber again after diving and hanging with her for a week in Cozumel a couple weeks ago. Met this guy named Jim saturday night...by the time he was half gone Saturday night I was all in!

SandyK was a blast but I bet she doesn't pitch her tent so close to mine next time....for a variety of reasons! :wavey: Micheal and Narwahl great guys and I am so looking forward to diving with them in Bonaire in a couple weeks. The youngsters were a kick....I also found out I can do a really good DiveCutie impersonation!!!!

We also found out ZD has many hidden talents...Like exhaling macaroni with one mask purging motion...And while on the topic of ZD...I also want to thank him for some very important inspiration...He happened to mention he was heading out to DM this weekend on a boat in the Flower Gardens. He pulled his trusty computer out and shared some pics.....Yes, he travels with his computer so he can make sure everyone is behaving. Anyway, after seeing all that and finding out there was some room left on the boat...I just booked my berth!!!! Heading for the Flower gardens Friday night!!!! How would the Wench say it...WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

What else....Ohh ya...Got to try out a scooter! Those things are fun....But if you ever get in the water and Tom is driving one be very careful he has only two speeds...fast and faster!

I know I am forgetting all sorts of great people all I can say is I had a great time and it was such a pleasure getting to meet play and dive with all of you! I would especially like to thank and applaude Dejah, The Wench and Narwahl for all thier hard work making this happen for us. it's going to be hard to miss any of these gatherings.
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#13 divecutie

divecutie

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:54 PM

Blublood, GREAT impression of me for sure!!!! almost as good as the real thing!
Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation!
Jane Austen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users