• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Gear Failure Fears?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:21 AM

Since we're on the subject of gear failures how about listing the one's you would most not like to happen. It doesn't have to be ones that have happened to you.

For me it would be LP hose o-ring loss at depth, neck seal failure in drysuit, BC or drysuit inflator hose stuck totally open, weight belt falling off.

I could deal with all of them except possibly the weigh belt falling off but that one is very unlikely.

#2 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:27 AM

I fear first stage failures. I've had first stages blow more than once with different regulators, once while the tank was charged and getting ready for a dive on the surface, once with my tank floating in the pool, while it's been on my back on the surface, and I've had the first stage blow on an argon bottle while connected to me right before heading for a deep dive. Then seeing a burst disk go just makes one gun shy.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#3 George

George

IT Administrator & Owner

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:14 AM

I fear over breathing a reg. When I want air I want all it can give or I demand when I want it. But I don't want to have my reg free flow at the surface either. The regs the wench got me seem to breathe easier the harder I breathe them. But I still would hate to demand air and not get it.
Email me

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#4 JeepDiver

JeepDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cert Level:OWII & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:~150

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:45 AM

After having a first stage o-ring blow, I no longer dive without my pony. Due to having the pony I wouldn't say I fear it, but defiantly don't look forward to it ever happening again.

The one failure that I would really hate to have happen is a high pressure hose blow. I've seen it happen to a buddy, not only does the tank drain almost immediately, but that hose can be dangerous even underwater. My buddy had a nice size mark on his neck for a month :welcome:

#5 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:56 AM

I definitely don't want an HP hose to go again, as it was very scary. I've also seen the case where the inflator hose was stuck open (another diver in COZ), and they just barely made it, so that scares me, too.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#6 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:09 AM

In Fiji everyone had a camera and photographers make lousey buddies, there were only seven guest on the liveaboard so sometimes while exploring a bommie you wouldn't see anyone till the end of the dive when we gathered around the top which just happened to be at safety stop depth.
On one dive the DM had trouble clearing and for some strange reason we were all still within sight of one another at 90' when he caught up, just then a woman blew an O-ring and by the time he donated his 2nd she was OOA. Timing and good luck are everything!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#7 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:15 AM

fearing having the tank turned around backward while diving, and having the burst disk fail and shooting a hole in the back of my head killing me at depth.

morning everyone.

#8 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:45 AM

Photographers make great buddies. They take it slow and are looking for interesting things to shoot.

When I read the title of this thread, I thought about landing gear failures. As a pilot, those are always on your mind as you move that tire shaped knob from the up to the down position.

I have had a weight belt come loose more than once. I know why and one day, when I get some time, I'm going to correct the problem. Whatever the reason, it's not been a real issue. I just grab it as it is coming loose and put it back on.

I've seen a HP failure once. A guy's SPG blew. Much easier to deal with than a LP line failure. The HP line has a much smaller orifice than a LP line and will let less air out per second. You can perform a normal ascent unless you are at the end of your dive and low on air. Even then, you should be able to do a normal ascent, because that's what buddies are for. For a LP failure, use your buddy or a pony bottle if you have one. At the point I am using my buddies air, I would turn off the tank, it's noisy.

In each of these cases, you should have enough air to stop, think, assess the problem, get to your buddy, and begin your ascent.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#9 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:46 AM

Wow! I've only had it happen once, and thought it was extremely rare. For you to have three first stage failures really makes me wonder how frequently this actually occurs. Gulp.

I fear first stage failures. I've had first stages blow more than once with different regulators, once while the tank was charged and getting ready for a dive on the surface, once with my tank floating in the pool, while it's been on my back on the surface, and I've had the first stage blow on an argon bottle while connected to me right before heading for a deep dive. Then seeing a burst disk go just makes one gun shy.

#10 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:38 AM

Only failure that REALLY scares me is the manifold center failure on doubles. I think I could work around nearly anything else.

#11 Dive_buddy

Dive_buddy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:198

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:41 AM

Oddly enough, any fears of gear failure I may have are not about my gear. Granted, a mask strap breaking in <45 degree water :lmao: commands a little respect as it would make breathing difficult (for about a week). I fear a gear failure on my buddy! I have no idea how well, or poorly they maintain their gear. Nor do I know how they will react to that failure. Will they stop, think, asses and then take the necessary actions? Or will they do all of that after they have bolted to the surface? Or will my buddy react with full panic, grab me like an octopus trying to put a lip lock on me? :o

About every 3rd dive, I do some kind of drill for equipment failure. Granted, I can not simulate the surprise of it. But knowing what to do by second nature goes a long way towards dealing with adrenalin (adrenalin sucks at depth).

So I don't really fear my gear failing, I fear my buddy's gear failing.

(go figure)
Olympic diving is a sport. Scuba diving is an obsession.

#12 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:56 AM

You can plan for, and be prepared for, most problems. For the ones you have never thought of yet, that is when your experience and improvisation will have to do. You have the tools and the skills. Be positive about having the ability to use them, and you will be able to do it when the situation arises.

However, since everyone is mentioning all kinds of issues, I ask if you have planned for them to happen.

For example: Broken mask strap. No biggie; I carry a backup mask in my pocket. Broken fin strap? Unlikely for me; I use spring straps. (Are you still using rubber straps? :lmao: )

Broken hose? Shut down the regulator. Switch to your second regulator, change to your bailout gas, or gas share if needed. Same thing with failed first stages.

Wing or drysuit inflator stuck open? Practice disconnecting in a pinch. I am getting shutoff slide valves added to mine so it will be even faster and easier.

Reel fouls when sending up your lift bag? Let it go, and launch the one your buddy is carrying. You can always take out the backup spool and lift bag, and send it up.

The real question is: Knowing that there are potential failures with equipment, and knowing what this means, what have YOU done to plan for when that day arrives? Real dive planning means planning for all of these situations and all of the other ones you can think of. Resort to improvisation only after thinking of all of the alternatives you can, and planning for them first. That way, you will make it back from the dive in almost every case.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#13 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:35 PM

]

My greatest equiptment failure fear takes place at the surface...filling tanks.I've seen what's happened when a tank ruptures and it aint pretty.I once had a fresh hydo just Viped tank start hissing on me at 1500psi which turned out to be a pin hole(which grew into a hairline crack by the tank drained) in the neck of an AL80.I've refused to fill tanks for no other reason than I didn't like the look of them.

Eric

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:33 PM

Wow! I've only had it happen once, and thought it was extremely rare. For you to have three first stage failures really makes me wonder how frequently this actually occurs. Gulp.

remember I am in the water just about every night and have been teaching solid for 4 years, diving for 14. If a gear failure is going to occur, I've probably been standing somehwere nearby. The full neck seal peel this weekend was a new one though. LOL!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#15 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:07 AM

remember I am in the water just about every night and have been teaching solid for 4 years, diving for 14. If a gear failure is going to occur, I've probably been standing somehwere nearby. The full neck seal peel this weekend was a new one though. LOL!

Get ZipSeals, girl. :)
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users